Need low carb, spur of moment meal ideas

Katy Belle

DIS Veteran
i'm on week 9 of Weight Watchers and doing great. But I need some ideas of what to make when I didn't plan, or I don't have time to make what I've planned. Pasta used to be my emergency meal, but I want to avoid pasta in the evening, if possible.
What can I keep on hand for spur of the moment dinner? Oh, I'm cooking for 5, 3 of which are teen boys.
Thanks!

Here's a super easy thing to prep and keep in the freezer. Put a chicken breast in a Ziploc and pound with a rolling pin until very thin; add a marinade like Italian dressing and pop into the freezer. These can be cooked while still frozen. Serve with a salad and/or green vegetables. Add rice or potatoes for the kids.

One pasta sub I am loving now is zucchini lasagna. I make a big batch of my favorite sauce then freeze portions. Come meal time, I slice zucchini on my mandolin slicer, then layer it with defrosted sauce and mozz cheese. The slicer gets it super thin so it has the same texture as a lasagna noodle. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until cheese is browned on top. I can go from walking into the kitchen to the meal on the table in about 30-35 minutes.

Cut spaghetti squash in half. Cover each half with film and microwave each half for about six minutes. Spoon out seeds and gunk. Take a fork and start shredding the squash on the inside; it will look like spaghetti. Take the spaghetti and add red sauce, garlic, Parmesan cheese and meatballs. Bake 30 minutes. Eat then or freeze.

I wrap a ham slice around a cheese stick , microwave until warm, then dip it in a small amount of pizza sauce, fast and low carb

My go to last minute meal is an egg white omelette. Add whatever veggies you have on hand. I keep the little cartons of liquid egg whites in my fridge always. It's very filling and only 3 WW pts for a good size omelette.

My other easy WW meal is grilled chicken with steamed veggies. Individually wrapped frozen chicken breasts thaw quickly if you immerse in a pan of cold water.

We do omlettes with whatever leftovers we have on hand.

Tonight was roasted veggies - cumin/cinnamon sweet potatoes and curry cauliflower. Plus kale.chip nachos. I was multicultural tonight ;)

Taco bowls with all the fixins, Asian lettuce wraps with ground turkey (so easy and quick), ricotta bake (I'm a bariatric patient and this is the only bariatric recipe I STILL make - lasagna without the noodles! Really satisfies an Italian craving!), hamburgers with pimento cheese on top (I make homemade pimento cheese because I'm a cheese snob, but I buy frozen burgers, lol. Cuts prep time way down! We wrap the burgers in lettuce instead of buns), also: we buy frozen meatballs at Sam's and cook them with marinara and squash/zucchini/onions. YUM.

I also take chicken breasts, chop them up, marinate in Italian dressing and Worcestershire sauce, then freeze them and cook as needed. Yummmmmm. I do the same thing with chicken and Rosemary/ranch dressing/olive oil when I'm bored with the Italian marinade.

I have various types of chicken sausage in the fridge for quick meals. I use them for quesadillas (using low carb wraps) or I just cook some peppers and onions and slice the sausage and throw it in. I make a sweet potato hash with them too.
Eggs are also a quick dinner idea. You can pre-make egg muffins with whatever you want to put in them and freeze them.
I always have salad veggies on hand so I can throw together one and add grilled meat, hard-boiled eggs and bacon, or make a chef salad.
I've also been experimenting with personal pizzas using low carb pitas as the crust. Brush with olive oil, add sauce, cheese and whatever toppings. Its not fabulous but when you crave pizza and can't have the real thing it works.
Tonight I made a Pad Thai salad using carrot and cucumber "noodles" and leftover grilled chicken. It was quick and easy.

Another thing you can do is pre-cook ground beef for tacos (salad for the low carbers) or for korean beef lettuce wraps. You can freeze it and thaw it for a quick dinner.
These are big hits with my kids.

My go to last minute meal is an egg white omelette. Add whatever veggies you have on hand. I keep the little cartons of liquid egg whites in my fridge always. It's very filling and only 3 WW pts for a good size omelette.

My other easy WW meal is grilled chicken with steamed veggies. Individually wrapped frozen chicken breasts thaw quickly if you immerse in a pan of cold water.

Was going to post the same thing about the egg white omelette. Though I go a little more unhealthy on the filling, 2 strips of bacon + goat cheese. It's amazing!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter