• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need ideas for a swimsuit for 12 y.o. dd

So I found two size 16 dresses so far on eBay for DD12- one Justice does have just spaghetti straps but we are going to put a tank top under it. I like it because it goes well past the knees. The other is Speechless and it has a fluttery cap sleeve. The other, which I didn't win, had straps and a bolero jacket. Wish I had put my bid higher- she really like that one. Hopefully the two I won will fit. Between living 50 minutes from any shopping, and lack of time to browse when we are in the city, I decided to take chances on buying online. Can always try to resell or keep them for her sister if they don't fit.

Justice always has cute little shrugs to go over dresses with straps...

2384575_622.jpg

It's tough- I've started a thread or two on the same subject- and my DD12 wants full coverage- as in rashguard and swim shorts. But we need something under the rashguard. So we have some tankini tops, swim shorts, 1 bikini bottom, and rashguards all in lime green and aqua from various places to mix and match. I think we are set- she doesn't have a one-piece, so it will be rashguards all the time unless she decides to show a little belly with the tankini. But she doesn't do a lot of swimming.

NOW, I would like to find some summery dresses and/or dressy tops that she can wear a bra with! They are nearly all spaghetti strap or less, or with somewhat thicker straps but not ones I would trust to be in the right place to be covering a bra at all times. How do girls wear these dresses? Very little out there with a short sleeve or even a cap sleeve. I am looking at girls size 16, and juniors small. Tried JCP, Kohls, Old Navy, Gap. Would especially like a tunic/leggings style since she is not fancy, but so far, none her style.
most teens just wear a coordinating bra and let both straps show, or wear a strapless bra. For a strapless dress, a strapless bra would be the way to go. Dresses with sleeves are just out of style, even for the little girls (my DD is 7 and doesn't own a summer dress with sleeves that isn't a costume). I don't really have a problem with showing shoulders so it isn't an issue for us though.

most teens just wear a coordinating bra and let both straps show, or wear a strapless bra. For a strapless dress, a strapless bra would be the way to go. Dresses with sleeves are just out of style, even for the little girls (my DD is 7 and doesn't own a summer dress with sleeves that isn't a costume). I don't really have a problem with showing shoulders so it isn't an issue for us though.

That depends on your area. I see you're in Alabama - if you're not in the south, girls are more likely to wear sleeves, at least in my personal experience. My daughter's school doesn't even allow sleeveless tops or dresses.

That depends on your area. I see you're in Alabama - if you're not in the south, girls are more likely to wear sleeves, at least in my personal experience. My daughter's school doesn't even allow sleeveless tops or dresses.
every school here, public or private, has a uniform, so no dresses at all are worn to school. I guess it could be because it is just so hot here in the summer, but rarely do you see a child out of preschool in a dress with sleeves after the first of March. The schools in other parts of the state without uniforms usually allow sleeveless, but no spagetti straps. Of course, it has already hit 90 with 90% humidity here a couple of times!

My DD8 has all sleeveless summer dresses, but she can't wear them to school without a sweater over them. No spaghetti straps at school, even for the little ones.

My DD11 wears a cami with a built in bra under her sundresses and lets both straps show. But she can't wear them to school anyway - hers is a uniform school, but even if it weren't, she wouldn't be able to wear tank tops or strappy dresses.

Chiming in that I had the same issues with my DD12 too. After trying on countless suits that were way too inappropriate for a 12 year old, I was finally able to convince her to get a cute tankini from Justice, even though she thinks she is 'too old' for Justice now that she is almost a teenager. I can already imagine how much more difficult it is going to get when she *wants* to wear the hoochie bathing suits :headache:

I was able to convince my 13 year old to get her suits from Justice. She does wear bikinis, but she is still small enough to fit their sizes. While they are bikinis, they aren't as mature as the ones in aero and hollister so even dad approves, reluctantly of course :laughing:.

Yeah, why don't they start installing some support in girls sizes 12 through 18 swimwear? You would think it would be obvious that there is a need for it.

Though maybe the manufacturer's think they will get in trouble for selling "padded" kids swimwear. There was some hoopla about padded swim tops for girls a while back with people saying how awful that was pushing girls to look too grown up. As long as it is not "push-up", I am all in favor of padding for girls that need it- better than clingy wet thin material.:confused3

Definitely a lack of choices- especially when they don't want to show any tummy. Tankinis are more likely to have the support, but there are few that cover the tummy entirely.

So I found two size 16 dresses so far on eBay for DD12- one Justice does have just spaghetti straps but we are going to put a tank top under it. I like it because it goes well past the knees. The other is Speechless and it has a fluttery cap sleeve. The other, which I didn't win, had straps and a bolero jacket. Wish I had put my bid higher- she really like that one. Hopefully the two I won will fit. Between living 50 minutes from any shopping, and lack of time to browse when we are in the city, I decided to take chances on buying online. Can always try to resell or keep them for her sister if they don't fit.

For suits, if the Land's End Canvas offerings don't work for you, you might try www.LimeRicki.com

As to dresses, there is a fairly simple answer: follow the Mormons. There is a huge market for cap-sleeved dresses in communities that have a lot of LDS church members, and some of them are online, such as www.downeastbasics.com. Just always throw in "LDS" when you search for dresses online, and you will find a large selection with covered shoulders.

I also saw some dresses at Delia's that are say "bra strap friendly". I got a couple of shrugs from Kohl's. I personally don't care for the style of showing the bra strap.....don't get it. I just wish all these retailers wouldn't want our little girls to grow up so fast!

For the issue with the summer dresses, I agree with the ones that suggest a cute cropped cardigan or a t-shirt under. In fact, that's how I wear my summer dresses a lot and I'm 22!

H&M actually had lots of great dresses with cap sleeves and I believe Old Navy just came out with a bunch of dresses with cap sleeves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter