• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEED HELP... driving trips peeps... driving MOM to FL- retiring time

miss missy

Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives?!
Hi all!!

I was hoping for some advice a MOVE to FL. My Mom is moving to FL from from Boston... :thumbsup2 :cool1: :banana: for her for me :sad1: :upsidedow I'm just not ready for her to not be down the Street.
OK enough of that...

So the plan is my son drives her with a rental (minivan or Rav4 size) along with his buddy and her 2 cats. This way they are there to unload the moving truck for her and drive back. They don't want to fly.

So its Boston to Pierson FL. map shows these for distance:

18 h 44 min (1,244.8 mi) via I-95 S

20 h 23 min (1,340.3 mi) via I-81 S

I am looking for any advice you all have on this. They plan to leave on a Monday Nov 17 and return the following Monday. I do not know if they are stopping to sleep. I think they are going to try to go straight to FL, but will sleep if needed.

Anything you all that have experience and/or ideas... PLEASE I need to know.

I am very used to booking air fare and Alamo cars for WDW, but not a round trip with a move too.

My son called and so far he can get a minivan with AAA, ulmtd miles round trip for that week for 430.00 ish. I don't know if thats good yet or not...

(Mom is 76 and has AAA and AARP too.)

Please advise in anyway for cost savings and to make this a smooth ride for them.

I can help with some of this.

IMHO: Take the 81 route. I'm not sure if your directions for 81 mean going 95 to NY then taking the Tappan Zee above NYC, and then hooking up to 81 in PA, or if you mean some sort of 84 to 81 thing, but either way, I would take 81 just to not take 95 from NYC downward (until you get past VA, then it won't matter). You'll have a cost savings on tolls, and avoid several major cities on I-95 with traffic headaches. The extra 100 miles going the 'inland' route are well worth easier travels, IMHO.

The timing of the trip is important, if you do decide to take I-95, to minimize rush hour traffic (if that is possible).

Lastly, either route is a LONG drive. I would definitely suggest breaking it up with a stop somewhere for a night.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Robert!! Those are the directions google maps gave me. I will ask Mom what her planned route is... she has done the drive before, I have never so I am clueless.

I believe they can leave anytime on that day. We got the rental booked for 8 days with Hertz, minivan for 405.00. There is no close return place for them to switch cars to a smaller one to save gas for his ride back. All other companies we over priced.

I think they will stop... I am guessing she might make him ;)

Thanks for the info!!

If they do opt for going the I-81 route, watch the weather. There are Winter Storm Warnings in SW Virginia and western NC this weekend. Yes already! Not sure where they would be cutting south from 81 but it's something to keep in mind.

If they do opt for going the I-81 route, watch the weather. There are Winter Storm Warnings in SW Virginia and western NC this weekend. Yes already! Not sure where they would be cutting south from 81 but it's something to keep in mind.

OK thanks! They leave on the 17th. Hopefully they get a good weather week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter