Need help deciding where to stay after Disneyland...San diego and Legoland?????.

goingquackers

Mouseketeer
My wife and I, along with your 2 kids (9 and 1) are headed California for 10 nights. so far we have 5 nights at DLH and 5 nights at the GC. This was just a place holder until we can figure out the dates.

We want to visit legoland and the San diego zoo. Do you guys have any suggestions on a hotel? We are looking at 2 or 3 nights outside of Disney...We are considering staying near legoland and traveling to San diego for a day trip...or saying in San diego and traveling to legoland on a day trip. What would be best?
I would love a place near a beach, or on a beach…looking for something Family friendly and relatively inexpensive.

Any help would be appreciated. the Wife wants to do 4 days disney....3 days "california" then back to disney for 4 days. This sounds weird to me, but thats the plan.

But where in "California" do we stay? lol

In 2007 we stayed in Oceanside for a week in order to do all of the southern things. Either Oceanside or Carlsbad are pretty close to both Legoland and the San Diego Wild Animal park, and not too far from Sea World, San Diego Zoo, etc.

In San Diego the Hilton Mission Bay Resort is a great base for Sea World, zoo, etc. Nice because it is on the water. You can even rent bikes and bike to Sea World.

We have stayed at the Four Seasons near legoland it was great. Has a kids club at no extra charge which my daughter loved when she was younger. Also a good base for the wild animal park that is part of the zoo system. Traffic is awful to San Diego so bring your patience if you base here for both.

Have fun.

We got the San Diego Hilton Gaslamp Quarter on Priceline.com for $89 and it was amazing.

We're doing 3 nights at the West Inn and Suites in Carlsbad (expensive at $239 but nice and great reviews)(will use this as our base for Legoland and the beach) and then 3 nights at the Omni San Diego (Priceline for $88) where we'll do a Padres game, the zoo and Sea World...then 5 nights at the Hyatt Orange County for Disneyland.

We chose to do a different hotel for Legoland and SD because we heard that the traffic can be really bad (1 1/2 hours+ each way) and we didn't want to be doing a lot of driving each day.

I don't know if that helps you or not!

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in La Jolla which was a good middle area between Legoland and SD.

We got an amazing rate off Hotwire, but this was several years ago.

We chose to do a different hotel for Legoland and SD because we heard that the traffic can be really bad (1 1/2 hours+ each way) and we didn't want to be doing a lot of driving each day.

I will reiterate that the traffic going to and from Carlsbad on I-5 will be bad.

Also I want to caution that kids age 1 and 9 are on the extreme ages of enjoying lego land. It likes a fantasyland with a week gadget's go coaster. Parents won't enjoy it as much as Fantasly land for sure.

Thier are two great wild life parks in San Diego county, both world famous.
The SD Zoo is terrific, it's between Mission bay and Downtown SD. Seaworld btw is in Mission Bay. The San Diego Wild Animal park also awesome, it's about 40 miles from down town near Escondido.

There are a bunch of hotels near misson beach in Hotel Cirlce. There are a bunch downtown. There is only a few miles seperating these areas. Note, these areas generally are higher prices hotels. Otherwise the whole area is spotted with hotels.

I might suggest the Holiday inn Express in Solano Beach. It's two blocks from the ocean and the beaches are kind of broken up but very nice. The drawback is this is off the I5 and not as centralized as staying by downtown.

My thoughts on Legoland ~ DS loved it at 6, we visited again last summer he liked it ok, DD really liked it.

You can read about our S CA visit last mid July *we visited Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Lego Land & DLR* here ~ http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=32765258&postcount=1

*Our hotel was on Hotel Circle in San Diego *this is it ~ http://www.towncountry.com/ ~ we were with my mom for work so the government picked and paid for our room, it was fine*

Our drives from San Diego - Carlsbad - Anaheim - San Diego were easy, we drove in the late morning to Carlsbad and back down to San Diego and in the evening from Carlsbad to Anaheim.

Hence why we're switching hotels!

The traffic around Carlsbad really depends on what time of day you are traveling. It's not always a nightmare. Going north in the morning tends to be better traffic-wise than going south, and vice versa for the evening.

Thier are two great wild life parks in San Diego county, both world famous.
The SD Zoo is terrific, it's between Mission bay and Downtown SD.

Downtown SD is more between Mission Bay and the zoo. The zoo is just east of downtown, and Mission Bay is northwest of downtown.

We have stayed at the Four Seasons near legoland it was great. Has a kids club at no extra charge which my daughter loved when she was younger. Also a good base for the wild animal park that is part of the zoo system. Traffic is awful to San Diego so bring your patience if you base here for both.

Have fun.

The Four Seasons will be a Park Hyatt come June 22. I am guessing the kids club will be gone. Or at the very least, won't be complimentary. :(

Here's what we did last year. We flew into SNA and went to DLR first. (We always stay at the Hyatt OC, they have a reliable, free shuttle to Disney, Starbucks in the lobby, and newly renovated, inexpensive two bedroom suites - perfect for a family of 4.) We left right after breakfast the last morning and went to Legoland (roughly halfway between Anaheim & San Diego) for the day. Left Legoland late afternoon and headed to San Diego, where we spent the rest of our vacation. That way only had to do a long drive once and it was split up by Legoland. As a side note, it was actually cheaper for us to fly into SNA and out of SAN then to go round trip - go figure.

The best thing about San Diego, IMO, is Coronado! Best beach in San Diego, great family town. Lots of fun activities on the "island," and an easy trip over the bridge to get to downtown SD, Zoo, Sea World, etc. We have stayed on Coronado at the Hotel Del Coronado, which is fantastic but pricey. We have also stayed downtown at the Omni which is a beautiful hotel with great views of the bay, and close to anything you want to do. Drive over to Coronado for a beach day, go to Sea World, Zoo, Balboa Park, etc. The Omni is connected to Petco Park which is great if you'd like to catch a Padres game.

I will also mention that I think Legoland might be not so exciting (esp. compared to DLR) for your age kids. I'd suggest you read up on some reviews and trip reports and judge for yourself. (Definitely depends on the kids!) It might work out great, just wanted to bring it up because it is an awfully expensive day!

Good luck planning - sounds like a great trip! :)

If you kids like Legos, discard all those comments that your kids might not like Legoland. We took our younger son to Legoland when he was one, and there was PLENTY for him to enjoy. People underestimate that place.

PLUS, if you will be going AFTER May 28, and during warm weather, the new WATERPARK will be open! It's very "young child" friendly looking.

Legoland really takes two days. There is an aquarium there too, which your kids would like. I'd look into purchasing a two day all inclusive pass to Legoland.

The San Diego Zoo, to be honest, it REALLY disappointing. It's extremely convoluted and difficult to navigate with a stroller. It's lots of walking up and down hilly paths and the enclosures for the animals are pathetic. I'd suggest skipping it. If you want to see animals, head for the Wild Animal Park instead. Much nicer and more interesting (and closer to Legoland too...).

I'd stay in Carlsbad. Oceanside can be iffy by the beach (lots of gang activity there...I lived there for 3 years, I know). I used to work in Carlsbad. There is a HUGE "froo froo" outlet mall in Carlsbad too (your wife will love it) just about a half mile from Legoland almost on the beach. There is also a lot of good dining in the immediate area.

I'd look into:

Homewood Suites Carlsbad (on Palomar Airport Road)
Inns of America Suites Carlsbad
Holiday Inn Carlsbad

Or, for a REALLY nice place to stay, the Sheraton Carlsbad is located on a hill overlooking Legoland and has a private entrance into the park (what's good is being able to save the $14 day parking fee at Legoland, as well as being able to quickly get back to your room if you hit the waterpark or the Pirate Shores (wet) section of the park. You can find good rates for the Sheraton online if you have AAA. It's a full resort, with onsite spa, restaurants, and bars (as well as a nice pool for the kids to enjoy). Rates here start at $159/nt.

I'd not stay in downtown SD area with kids those ages. Not much to keep their interest there at all. As for a nice beach, many of them around the Carlsbad-SD shoreline are very rocky. Nice for looking at, but not practical.

Oceanside has a nice beach, but for a REALLY nice beach, head to Newport Beach (specifically, Corona del Mar State Beach). It's located about 15 miles south of DLR. It's our family's "go to" beach (we live about 10 min from it). I love it because you park ON the beach, and there are restrooms, and a restaurant, and the sand is SO fine and soft, and there are some spectacular views!

The Four Seasons will be a Park Hyatt come June 22. I am guessing the kids club will be gone. Or at the very least, won't be complimentary. :(

Wow what is happening to the Four Seasons Residences they sold there, I wonder. Thanks for letting us know.

The San Diego Zoo, to be honest, it REALLY disappointing. It's extremely convoluted and difficult to navigate with a stroller. It's lots of walking up and down hilly paths and the enclosures for the animals are pathetic. I'd suggest skipping it. If you want to see animals, head for the Wild Animal Park instead. Much nicer and more interesting (and closer to Legoland too...).

I agree ~ we did not visit the WAP just the zoo ~ I was somewhat disappointed - I like what we have better in SLC., 45 min. from my house. Hopefully we'll visit the WAP soon.

Wow what is happening to the Four Seasons Residences they sold there, I wonder. Thanks for letting us know.

The press release said that Four Seasons will continue to manage the residences. But I'd think that's small comfort given that the hotel will be a Hyatt. The whole dispute between FS and Aviara ownership was based on FS's insistence on providing an ultra-luxury product (in keeping with their reputation), while ownership wanted them to cut costs to make the property more profitable during a recession. So I'm guessing that Hyatt will be cutting all of the special perks that made it the FS. (And made us want to stay there!)

Downtown SD is more between Mission Bay and the zoo. The zoo is just east of downtown, and Mission Bay is northwest of downtown.

I'm not going to argue but to keep everyone correctly informed I need to reply. If you go due north out of Downtown on 163(the Cabrillo Freeway) it will take you right by the zoo. If you take I5 north it goes northwest out of downtown and right by mission bay.

From downtown you take Park blvd north to get to the zoo. Don't go east.

From mission bay and north on I5 you take I8 east, then 163 south, take the Washington westbound Exit, Washington ave to Polk turning right before a large church, right at the next corner to Park blvd going south to the zoo.

To diffuse confusion Park blvd refers to Balboa Park where the zoo is located and is not where the SD Wild animal park is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter