Need help cutting MK attraction list

Disneymom1102

Mouseketeer
Hi Disney friends!
I could really use some advice on which rides to cut out of my 1 day at MK. There's just too much to do in one day! Taking into consideration that my daughter is 2 years and 4 months, loves Disney movies and tv, and is generally well-behaved and not fearful of rides (she rode Frozen, Little Mermaid, etc, and loved them), which do you think are must-dos and what can we cut? (Note: We live in Florida and we were just at Disney recently for her first visit...we want to balance new experiences with repeating the classics and rides she loves. Also, based on a variety of reasons, we pretty much have anytime fast passes for any rides we want to go on except for the attractions we do in the first hour after rope drop for which we have PPO BOG reservations at 8:00). Thank you so much for your advice!

Here's my current wishlist
Thunder Mountain using rider swap (probably at top of our list to cut out)
Buzz Lightyear (wasn't sure if she would like but others recommend, willing to cut)
Country Bear Jamboree (a classic I remember from my childhood)
Dumbo (must-do; her favorite)
Enchanted Tales with Belle (didn't do first time so really wanted to include this time)
It's a Small World (must-do; a favorite)
Jungle Cruise (not done before)
Aladdin (not done before; but daughter loves this kind of ride so was thinking a must-do?)
Winnie the Pooh (did before; she liked it but not loved it, so considering cutting?)
PhilharMagic (never done; really questioning this one...some say can't miss, others say not worth the time)
Peter Pan (did last time; she liked but didn't love; considering cutting)
Pirates of Caribbean (didn't do before; think she would like?)
Carrousel (probably going to cut)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (must-do for us; using parent swap)
Splash Mountain (for husband only; can maybe cut)
Peoplemover (a chance to relax and see Tomorrowland but not necessary)
Little Mermaid (must-do, her favorite)
Enchanted Tiki Room (never done, was thinking of cutting?)

I would cut:
Buzz Lightyear - it's cute but hard to tell if you've even hit something so probably wouldn't appeal to her.
Pooh - love this ride, it's actually my favorite but if she's done it before and you are trying to get some new ones in, cut it.
PP - another favorite of mine but if she didn't love it, no reason to keep it.
PhilharMagic - cute show but if you are strapped for time, wouldn't hurt to cut it.
Thunder Mountain - maybe while one adult is on this, the other adult takes her to one of the ones you were thinking of cutting and reverse that for the other parent. That way both parents get to ride and she gets two more rides in.
Pirates - we love this ride but there are some dark areas and is more geared toward the older child so she might not like it.
Are you talking Carousel of Progress or the Carousel? If COP, you can cut that, it's a favorite of mine but she probably won't enjoy it. If you are talking the Carousel, no way would I cut that with a little girl.
Splash - hubby can ride that while you catch another ride with her.

If it's mostly for your daughter's enjoyment, I would get rid of BTMRR, Pirates, Tiki Room, Country Bears and maybe People Mover.

Things like Peter Pan, Winnie, The Carousel, Aladdin are big hits for that age. I'd cut Pirates before Jungle Cruise.

Hi Disney friends!
I could really use some advice on which rides to cut out of my 1 day at MK. There's just too much to do in one day! Taking into consideration that my daughter is 2 years and 4 months, loves Disney movies and tv, and is generally well-behaved and not fearful of rides (she rode Frozen, Little Mermaid, etc, and loved them), which do you think are must-dos and what can we cut? (Note: We live in Florida and we were just at Disney recently for her first visit...we want to balance new experiences with repeating the classics and rides she loves. Also, based on a variety of reasons, we pretty much have anytime fast passes for any rides we want to go on except for the attractions we do in the first hour after rope drop for which we have PPO BOG reservations at 8:00). Thank you so much for your advice!

Here's my current wishlist
Thunder Mountain using rider swap (probably at top of our list to cut out)
Buzz Lightyear (wasn't sure if she would like but others recommend, willing to cut)
Country Bear Jamboree (a classic I remember from my childhood)
Dumbo (must-do; her favorite)
Enchanted Tales with Belle (didn't do first time so really wanted to include this time)
It's a Small World (must-do; a favorite)
Jungle Cruise (not done before)
Aladdin (not done before; but daughter loves this kind of ride so was thinking a must-do?)
Winnie the Pooh (did before; she liked it but not loved it, so considering cutting?)
PhilharMagic (never done; really questioning this one...some say can't miss, others say not worth the time)
Peter Pan (did last time; she liked but didn't love; considering cutting)
Pirates of Caribbean (didn't do before; think she would like?)
Carrousel (probably going to cut)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (must-do for us; using parent swap)
Splash Mountain (for husband only; can maybe cut)
Peoplemover (a chance to relax and see Tomorrowland but not necessary)
Little Mermaid (must-do, her favorite)
Enchanted Tiki Room (never done, was thinking of cutting?)
So subjective... with my kids at that age, I'd have cut (with my reasons below):
  • Buzz Lightyear -- I can barely shoot anything NOW, let alone this being interesting at 2.5yo
  • Country Bear Jamboree -- just boring to my kids (and me)
  • Aladdin -- identical to Dumbo, so if doing that for sure and looking to do new things, I'd cut
  • PhilharMagic -- also boring for my kids at this age; they were not into keeping the glasses on, which largely defeats the purpose
  • Carrousel -- just "meh"
  • Enchanted Tiki Room -- kids never wanted to sit through this one
My kids loved the PeopleMover (we all still love it as a break!) and Pirates and EVERY age, and I think that making time for Mom & Dad to have some additional fun is healthy (7DMT, BTMRR)!!! :thumbsup2

I would cut the Carousel, Jungle Cruise, and Buzz Lightyear. Pirates is really dark and there is the one small drop, so if you think she would get scared, I would cut that one as well. Philharmagic is really cute, my kids loved it when they were younger. I would keep that since you haven't done it before. Enchanted Tiki Room could go either way at that age, mine never cared for it.

If it was me, I would cut out:

BTMRR, since you were going to do a rider swap on it anyway.
Buzz Lightyear, since it may be hard for her to do.
Pirates of the Carribean, it will be too much for her.

She may like the Tiki Room and Country Bears Jamboree. I would put them down at the bottom of your list and if you have time, or need a break, you can do them. She also may like Peter Pan now, so you may want to try it.

The Peoplemover is good for a rest break, but I would put it last on your list.

My daughter loved carousels when she was your daughter's age, so you may want to leave that one on the list.

I think it depends of what type of kid your daughter is. At 2.5 my daughter LOVED Buzz Lightyear. She had no interest in attempting to shoot. She manned the middle lever to turn our car round an round. However the one time she did actually use the gun we had a blast. She actually did manage to hit something and was thrilled when we told her she did good. It's not like she could actually read the score.

My daughter also loved, Dumbo, It's a small world, The little mermaid, and the Carousel. All of those rides were ridden more than once during our trip.

She liked Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic, and Enchanted tales with Belle (she even had a part).

She didn't care for the Tiki room (which I must admit I was disappointed I thought she'd like it), and the Jungle cruise (and she's an animal lover).

I don't remember about the Peoplemover. I know she didn't hate it and was fine going on it more than once but I don't think it was a must do over again ride.

Just want to say that like everything else, this is ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE. My kids LOVED this ride as young as 15mo. It really depends. :)

100% Agreed! I was trying to use my son and daughter when they were two years old as a guide. It would have been too much for my daughter, but my son was in to Peter Pan and pirates then, so he would have loved it!

Buzz Lightyear- can have very long lines and it's really hard to shoot the targets, even as an adult but the ride has very bright fun colors that she would probably like and there is a joystick that turns the cart around in circles that I think she could have fun with. It's not a must do but I would fit it in if you have time.
Aladdin- Exactly the same as dumbo, it would be like riding Dumbo for a second time, would definitely cut.
Winnie the Pooh- if your daughter has rode it before and didn't love it then I would suggest cutting it, not a must do.
Pirates of the Caribbean- this ride can be a hit or miss, this ride is more geared to little boys into pirates and such and for a little girl, it can be hard to sit through. It's also dark and there is a minor drop that might be a little scary. I would probably cut this.
Carousel- definitely keep, this is fun for anyone her age.
Enchanted Tiki Room- Cut, this is boring even for an adult and every time I go, I always skip past it. I think your daughter wouldn't be too interested but feel free to try it if you want!
PhilarMagic- a definite great show as your daughter gets older and for adults but it can be extremely hard to sit through for little kids and hard for them to keep the glasses on (Which is the essential part of the show), I would cut until she's older.
Lastly, just to put my two cents in, Enchanted Tales with Belle is really special to little girls and I know she'll love it so I would 100% keep that on your list! Have a wonderful trip and have a magical day! :-)

IMO I would cut out Adventureland & Frontierland. Concentrate on Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Storybrook Circus. Then at the end of the day maybe do some things in the other lands if you have time.

Does your daughter like 3D movies? My almost three year old *HATED* 3D movies. He still doesn't particularly like them at 6 and a half. The only way we got him into Mickeys Philharmagic was that a CM sat down next to him in line and told him exactly what was going to happen in the movie. He still wouldn't wear the glasses.

Say goodbye to CBJ, I think it's too slow to hold the interest of little ones. My DGDs have never shown any interest whatsoever in Pooh so that'd get the axe. They also were a bit apprehensive in POTC. I'll say this in favor of Buzz: Whether they can aim & hit anything or not it's a very colorful ride and you could just get in a vehicle and spin the whole time. I would think any child familiar with the movie would enjoy it.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice! I think I've cut my list down to :
It's a Small World
Carrousel
7 Dwarves (rider swap)
Pooh
Tales with Belle
Under the Sea
Dumbo
Country Bear Jamboree
Aladdin
Jungle Cruise

(Cut - Peter Pan, Philharmagic, Buzz Lightyear, Peoplemover, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash/Thunder Mountains, and Enchanted Tiki Room).
Thanks everyone and still open to any additional thoughts you may have!

It's pretty subjective as to what a 2 year old will like. My DD was 2 yrs 10 months on her first trip. Based on our experience, unless you are taking a huge afternoon break or spending over 70% of your time in character lines, I think you could fairly easily do the whole list, especially if as you say you have FP for pretty much anything you wanted. Also, in our experience, toddlers' likes can change fairly quickly. Something she might not have loved on her 1st trip, might suddenly be amazing to her on her 2nd trip. If things needed to be cut, I would start with Thunder Mountain and Splash- neither of which she can ride and which are kind of off on their own farther away from other things (but if you have FP it really wouldn't take that long to take turns riding BTMR and only 1 of you is riding Splash so even though it is a longer ride it might not be that bad). For us, Philharmagic is a can't miss. DD loved it as a toddler and still did on our last trip at age 10. DH and I love it too. The only thing with that is the question of whether she will wear the 3D glasses or take them off. If she won't wear the 3D glasses, it is pretty pointless as you will spend the whole time trying to get them back on her face instead of enjoying the show. If she will leave the glasses on, it is a really great show with a ton of Disney characters (Donald Duck is the main character and they weave him through a ton of other character interactions like Ariel who it sounds like your DD really likes). I wouldn't cut Peter Pan, especially if you can FP it. The Carousel rarely has more than a 10 minute wait, and she will see it. If she asks to ride it, there is no reason to cut that out. (If you are talking about Carrousel of Progress and not the carousel- that would be one to cut out unless you are looking for a cool quiet place with nap potential. Mine slept through that one at age 2, but surprisingly loved it at age 3 and sang the song for months. We got stuck in the thing when she was that age and had to watch the same scene about 4 times- our 20 minutes was more like 40 minutes). Since she loves Dumbo, I would definitely keep Aladdin. The line isn't usually that long. My DD typically loves shows, but she never cared much about Country Bear Jamboree-- she was not impressed as we found out when we took her at age 2, and after a few minutes, she decided to nap the rest of the show. Nothing has ever changed her opinion of that one. It might be a good nap place if she is bored with it- but we would probably cut that one first of all the things your DD can do. I loved it as a kid too- but it doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me now. Does she like birds? My DD has always liked the Tiki room- something about those birds. I have to admit, I really like them too. My DD was scared of Pirates at age 5 and under- we had to bribe her on that one (DH's favorite) for a few years. There isn't really anything too scary about Jungle Cruise- my DD always liked that one. If she likes or knows Toy Story, she probably would like Buzz- it doesn't matter if she shoots the gun or not, although my DD liked to at least hold it and shoot it even if she wasn't hitting anything. People mover is probably not a necessity, but my DD has always really enjoyed it... well except for that first time she rode that one at age 3 (we did skip it at age 2 because we ran out of time- she prefered to spend all day seeing characters). There is a very dark area on it when you go into space mountain that if your 2 year old is scared of the dark could be an issue. At age 3 on her first time on it, my DD was convinced that we had somehow tricked her into riding space mountain and she freaked out and started screaming at us because she thought she was on a roller coaster and it was going to start going fast. We still laugh about that one years later! People mover is a short line for a nice chance to sit a little bit and rest with some nice views!

Sorry to bring this up, but your list does not mention Tomorrowland Speedway. I (personally) HATE the ride, but my DD LOVED it (probably her favorite ride when she was little - she wanted to go on that ride again and again and again *sigh*). If you are in the area (AND it's not too hot out) you may want to hop in line (min height is 32")...

I recall that my DD also enjoyed the Tree House as well as Tom Sawyer Island - we found the latter a great place to take a break and explore.

And she LOVED the tea cups (much to my chagrin) o_O:sick:

My two year old HATED philharmagic. I don't think she could see the 3D that well, it was super loud, and she flipped out when water was sprayed in her face! My daughter is a tad sensitive but I definitely won't be taking her back in there until she gets older (=

I see you've already culled your list, but I'll add my two cents anyway. I would definitely include Country Bears and Tiki Room... lots going on to keep her interested and something she can't see anywhere else. People Mover and Jungle Cruise I would consider for more restful/quiet time activities.

Have fun!

Just got back from our trip and it was totally awesome! By using magic bands/fastpasses to our advantage, in addition to using parent swap wisely and having PPO breakfast reservations, we rode/experienced 16 attractions plus the parade between just 9:00 and 4:30 (inc. a 60
minute stop for lunch) with adequate breaks, stopping to take pictures, etc. Was an awesome day and didn't wait more than 5 minutes for anything!!!!

Our fantastic day at Magic Kingdom with a moderate level crowd on a Sunday:

8:00 Be Our Guest breakfast
8:45 Booked fastpasses at kiosks for bands that we couldn't book ahead of time
9:02 Peter Pan (optional add in because it was sooo empty; two min to walk the long queue but no actual waiting)
9:07 It's a Small World
9:30 Seven Dwarves alternating with parent swap (daughter rode Carousel and Pooh with the parent who wasn't on Dwarves at that time)
9:55 Philharmagic (an optional add in because we were ahead of shedule)
Forget exact times here but between 10:15 and 11:30:
Enchanted Tales with Bell
Under the Sea - Little Mermaid
Dumbo
11:45-12:45 Lunch at Cosmic Rays
At this point our daughter fell asleep so my husband and I walked her around a bit in stroller, grabbed some ice cream, and took turns riding Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain.
2:00 Sat down in some shade to let her sleep more but in a good parade spot. Husband did shooting arcade in the meantime.
2:30 Daughter woke up and we rode Aladdin and grabbed some popcorn before the parade started while my husband guarded our parade spot
3:00 Parade
3:15 Country Bear Jamboree (a little bit of a delay here as they waited for the room to fill up after the parade before starting the show)
3:45 Pirates of the Caribbean
4:05 Jungle Cruise
Walked out of the park and back to resort to rest and eat before returning to watch the Wishes fireworks show on the beach at Polynesian at 8:00.
Perfect day! I may be a crazy planner before the trip starts but it definitely pays off with tons of attractions and minimal waiting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter