Need DXDP Advice Please!

Shock13

DIS Veteran
I'm heading to the parks in January for 5 nights and booked the DxDP since I won't be eating at any CS places. I've never done the dining plan before so any advice out there how to go about making the best use of it? I was thinking about doing a TS lunch early (I usually eat a very light breakfast and have lunch @ 11:00-12:00) and then maybe do a signature restaurant in the evening.
What are your experiences?

I'm heading to the parks in January for 5 nights and booked the DxDP since I won't be eating at any CS places. I've never done the dining plan before so any advice out there how to go about making the best use of it? I was thinking about doing a TS lunch early (I usually eat a very light breakfast and have lunch @ 11:00-12:00) and then maybe do a signature restaurant in the evening. What are your experiences?

That sounds like a plan. I'd go for an earlier lunch and later dinner to give yourself plenty of time in between when you FINISH eating lunch and start dinner. My personal preference is a TS breakfast, QS lunch, and TS dinner. Lots of people do what you're doing or do a TS breakfast, snacks for lunch, and signature dinner.

You'll get appetizers for each person at lunch and dinner so it will be a large amount if food, but we've never felt it necessary to clean our plates.

I'm heading to the parks in January for 5 nights and booked the DxDP since I won't be eating at any CS places. I've never done the dining plan before so any advice out there how to go about making the best use of it? I was thinking about doing a TS lunch early (I usually eat a very light breakfast and have lunch @ 11:00-12:00) and then maybe do a signature restaurant in the evening.

I generally always use the Deluxe Dining Plan its my favorite way to visit WDW so great choice :)

Now I really suggest using your Snacks in the morning for breakfast

ie Staring Rolls at Hollywood Studios
Beignets at Port Orleans
Starbuck Epcot / Magic Kingdom

I think early lunches is perfect something like
11:00 Tusker House or Yak and Yeti at AK
11:30 Liberty Tree Taven MK
Epcot has many many many options :thumbsup2
Hollywood Studios any of the Table Service Restaurants are equal (besides Brown Derby)

Dinner Signatures are the best options if you do not have little children I really recommend eating around 7:30 or 8:00

My top signatures on the DDP are: I have them in 3s and they are interchangeable in their group of 3

California Grill
Flying Fish Cafe
Jiko

Artist Point
Le Cellier
Brown Derby

Narcoossee's
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Citrico's

These are mine in order - I have not been to Citricos in a LONG time to be quite honest but it wasn't real impressive I think I will hit that and Narcoossee's on my next trip to try them again...

Overall these are my suggestions :thumbsup2

Fourthing? this!

It's typically going to be the best balance between value and quantity (alternatively, a character breakfast and earlier signature dinner also works out well.)

Thank you for all the suggestions! I went ahead and booked some meals and have my lunches between 11:00-12:00 and my dinners at 7:00-8:00. For signatures, I'm doing Jiko, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Citricos and Artist Point. Out of the group, I've only eaten at Jiko before but that was some years ago and I think they've changed the menu since then. ;)

My husband and I (no kids) are also going in Jan using the DxDp. Here's my plans:

Arrival Day:
Boatwrights

MK Day
Breakfast at Crystal Palace - 9:20 (wish I could get earlier)
Dinner at California Grill - 7:30
Snacks in between to hold us over

AK Day
Breakfast at Tusker House - 8:25
Lunch at Yak & Yeti - 12:30 (a must do for us!)
Dinner at Chef's in France at Epcot - 6:30

HS Day
Breakfast at FQ food court
Lunch at Brown Derby at 1:00
Dinner at Ohana at 8:10

EP Day
Breakfast at FQ Food Court
Lunch at Via Napoli 12:45
Dinner at Captains Grille or somewhere in DTD (not decided yet)

Departure Day
Breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express

We will be using any leftover snack credits for candies, cookies, etc... to bring back to our DD17.

I hope this plan works out. It may be cheaper to pay oop but I like having everything paid up front and I'll be using my Disney Reward Credits for tips.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I went ahead and booked some meals and have my lunches between 11:00-12:00 and my dinners at 7:00-8:00. For signatures, I'm doing Jiko, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Citricos and Artist Point. Out of the group, I've only eaten at Jiko before but that was some years ago and I think they've changed the menu since then. ;)
Good choices. I have much <3 for Jiko (2010, 2011, 2012), Yachtsman (2010, 2012), AND Artist Point (2010, 2011, 2012). Last time I went to Citricos was in 2010 and it was excellent, just haven't been back for a bit. Last trip to FF (2011, 2012) was OK, but that happens from time to time (previous was great).

I did not do signatures this year due to a different style of trip and smaller budget :(.

The best "return" on the DxDP is if you follow your early-lunch, late signature dining plan. Using your snack credits for a breakfast item (muffins, pastry, fruit) will mean the only food-related cost you'll have will be for the tips on table service meals.

If you take a look at the lunch menus, you'll see that many of them offer what we'd normally think of as dinner items for lunch, in addition to sandwiches. So, have the pot roast at Libery Tree Tavern, the steak at Rose and Crown, the fried chicken at 50's prime time cafe, and the seafood curry at Yak and Yeti. You'll be full until dinner, and perhaps not at all hungry then, especially if you eat all the appetizer, entree, and dessert at lunch.

My wife and I are planning our February trip. On the lunch list is: Teppan Edo, Liberty Tree Tavern, Yak and Yeti, Via Napoli, and San Angel Inn. Our dinners are: Narcoossee's, Artist Point, Citricos, Brown Derby, and 'Ohana (yes, only one TS credit, but we'll use that credit the last day for breakfast).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter