• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need car help/advice please, 05 Buick

StephMK

DIS Veteran
We "inherited" an 05 Buick LaSabre, 125k miles, that my daughter uses in SC. We are in NC and car registered here. I need someone who understands cars to tell me if any of this is related and if it makes sense.

Jan 2022- spent $2500 on transmission, tie rods, struts, etc. In NC national transmission chain

July 2022-failed inspection for O2 sensor, code P0420, fixed and passed, fixed in NC, local shop

Sept 2022-steering went out, needed new control arm, fixed in SC at national chain

At the time of the steering issue, check engine light came back on. DD did not mention to shop there. P0420 code -low efficiency catalytic converter, per AutoZone code run.

Before we schedule to take it back to SC shop, are these just repairs on old car, is there a fix needed that relates to these issues? Should it go back to one of previous shops?

Thank you for any advice, it has been difficult to arrange repairs long distance with limited car knowledge.

My DH had a couple LeSabres, he loved them but yes lots of repairs when it got old and he had close to 200k miles. He went through tie rods like crazy, I always suspected it was his driving.

Seems to me you should take it back to the NC shop if that P0420 code came back on after they just fixed it in July, no?

You are going to have a lot of repairs with an old car, see if your daughter can get a recommendation for a trusted mechanic from someone who lives in the area that she could take it to to build up a repore instead of going to chains.

Hopefully, someone else will come along with a helpful answer.

My son had my dads Buick century 2002. Lots of repairs and check engine lights. Never could figure out how to stop the check engine light from coming on so just ignored it. It was a good car and we liked the size but eventually had to donate it.

As suggested, take it back to where you had it serviced but don’t be surprised if you never get that sensor issue resolved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter