• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need airport help...

One more thing to remember, any flight delays are totally beyond your control. There is nothing you can do about them. Most are caused by either weather issues or equipment issues. If you think about it, do you really want to fly through terrible weather? Fly on a plane with equipment issues? Go with the flow and just accept the delays, nothing you can do that will shorten them. I fly out of Philadelphia a lot. Just assume you will be delayed. Then be happy if you leave close the scheduled time.

Also, pay attention to the gate announcements (if you can understand them-sometimes they are completely unintelligible). Look at the boarding screen every once in a while to make sure your flight is still leaving from that gate. You should get any flight changes on the app, but it doesn't hurt to look up every so often. If you are arriving 3 hours early, you will have to wait for your gate to be announced, so the food court idea is a good one.

If you're someone who is less stressed if you have information available in advance, you can download the GateGuru app. It has airport maps and amenity lists. That will let you see which restaurants are near which gates, for example.

Unless I have something specific in mind (like a pre flight shoulder massage at SeaTac) I get my food and coffee treat and head to the gate. Being away from the gate is far more stressful to me.

I fly Southwest all of the time and I find some of the passengers at the gate to be far from relaxed - I think it's the way seating is done. If you can't tune out the passengers who always seem primed to leap out of their seat for boarding

Huh. SW, since they changed to how they board now, is zenlike comeoared to the traditional airlines. With SW you know how you will board. You know that even if you walk up later you'll go to the spot where your boarding number should be and find your spot. "Are you b39? I'm b38 so let me ease in on front of you, thanks!"

With the others you never know how they are boarding that day. From the front? The back? Will my delta SKY mention on the boarding pass go with PREM or later?

And people crowd that area like crazy, blocking those who are trying to get through. "Yes, mr snobby pants, I'm wearing cargo shorts AND I'm in first class. Let me by."

SW is so much better.

This one is a double edge sword. I find myself more anxious if I am not at the gate, constantly worrying that I am missing my flight because it landed early (yeah right).

Absolutely.

And you can look up every so often to see if it's still your flight's gate. In case your ears and the app fail you.

If you're someone who is less stressed if you have information available in advance, you can download the GateGuru app. It has airport maps and amenity lists. That will let you see which restaurants are near which gates, for example.

I tend to just look at the airport's own website map, but maybe that app has it more consistently laid out.

I posted a thread earlier about anxiety I get pre-flight, and could also use some tips in terms of how to stay calm in the airport.

Essentially I become an anxious mess foreseeing serious delays, or losing a lot of trip time due to flight issues. Fortunately, I received some excellent advice.

I am flying out of Philadelphia on a Friday at 12:55 so I know the airport will be a total zoo. Fortunately I am flying with just my sister (23) and she is amenable to arriving 3 hours early.

Anyone have any good tips on terms of staying calm in the airport, or how I can tune out the disaster the airport will be?

I will have an iphone and dell laptop with me.

I don't usually get very anxious about anything so this is new territory for me.

OP, it looks like your flight leaves out of gate E13 usually which is at the end of the southwest terminal. There's an area with tables and a counter that's just outside the gates where you can hear the announcements but not be right at the gate, which might work for you. It's right by the McDonald's. Also the airport isn't always a zoo - whwn flights come in you have a steady stream of people moving along but because this is at the end of the terminal you don't have as much back and forth foot traffic.

I'm at PHL often (it's my home airport and I travel often for work) and I say this from experience. Good luck and safe travels!

I am flying in 2 weeks and 6 days. My anxiety is going crazy now, so I feel for you. I find myself more anxious before the actual day -- but the day of I will be focused and not nearly as worried. The day of I'll be focused on my kids and family and think I will be able to go with the flow (as long as nothing too crazy happens). Best of luck, and as someone with a bunch of anxiety, I try to calm myself in those times by breathing. I need to just sit down, (maybe not close your eyes too long in an airport) and just focus on breathing and relaxing.

I posted a thread earlier about anxiety I get pre-flight, and could also use some tips in terms of how to stay calm in the airport.

Essentially I become an anxious mess foreseeing serious delays, or losing a lot of trip time due to flight issues. Fortunately, I received some excellent advice.

I am flying out of Philadelphia on a Friday at 12:55 so I know the airport will be a total zoo. Fortunately I am flying with just my sister (23) and she is amenable to arriving 3 hours early.

Anyone have any good tips on terms of staying calm in the airport, or how I can tune out the disaster the airport will be?

I will have an iphone and dell laptop with me.

I don't usually get very anxious about anything so this is new territory for me.
Bit late of course but I typically travel with headphones. You could listen to music or whatnot that helps my jitters plus passes the time. I do think it's important like someone else mentioned to keep an eye on airport announcements even if it's just physically looking up at the screen. It's rare in my experience with my home airport that there are gate changes or whatnot but not so much with other airports that I've found.

I also am a reader so I'll have a book or two and now I have my Kindle with me and once I've got my music going and my reading going it helps calm any nerves.

In terms of anxiety - I would not sit at the gate until it was necessary. I would find the gate and then go to the food court and sit there - it will usually be close to the gates. For your return flight it is 50 yards from the SWA gates - and has comfortable seating and lots of food choices. I am unfamiliar with Philadelphia. If it is far from your gate, sit at a different gate preferably one that is empty because there is no impending flight. I fly Southwest all of the time and I find some of the passengers at the gate to be far from relaxed - I think it's the way seating is done. If you can't tune out the passengers who always seem primed to leap out of their seat for boarding - the less time sitting among them, the better. Southwest will start boarding no more than 30 minutes ahead of departure time. So, I would try to get to your gate 45 minutes before flight time

I have to agree with that.

I love to fly but it does give me anxiety: will we make it to the airport in time/will there be traffic, will there be long lines at security, will I get singled out (yep been hand searched/waist band and ankle and carry on). Will I throw up, yes that a biggie, I think I did when I was little but I don't anymore.

We are always early, sometimes too early so just sitting at the gate can easily cause stress/anxiety. I think it's more the waiting. And watching everyone....

Just relax...yeah right! My DH tells me that all the time, he doesn't realize it's not that simple. Instead, think of the end result...vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter