Need Advice Regarding Upgrading (Update and New Dilemma)

Disney_traveler

DIS Veteran
So we managed to get free dining with the quick service plan. We are going before Christmas and wanted to try some new things and now have booked (and planned to pay out of pocket):
---dinner @ Cinderella's Royal Table
---Holiday Character Brunch @ 1900 Park Faire
---Character breakfast @ Crystal Palace
---evening reservation at Beaches and Cream but planning on ice cream only

These are the only table service we were planning on doing.

So my questions are:

Would it be more beneficial to upgrade to regular dining plan (1QS, 1TS)?

How much would that cost? (2 adults, 6 nights total)

How would I go about upgrading? (If I decided to)

Thanks in advance!

The upgrade cost is around $40pp/pn, so around $480 for the two of your for your stay. Look at the cost of your TS meals, if it's close to that, I'd upgrade and see if I could plan another TS to make it really worth it. If it's less than $480, I'd probably keep my plans the way they are and pay OOP. If you decide to upgrade, just call Disney and ask to do so. If you're already past your paid in full date, you'll need to pay the upgrade charge when you call.

I think that's off a bit... I have the per person upgrade cost at about $21/night, so about half as much (I think you might have multiplied by 2 people twice :)). You're only planning on using 4 TS credits currently - my gut instinct is to stay with the free QSDP and just pay OOP for those 3 meals (4 credit equivalent), but go ahead and do the math.

The cost to upgrade from the QSDP to the DDP is $19.57 per person. $234.84 total to upgrade for the both of you.

Given what you've got planned, you'll come out money ahead to upgrade.

I think that's off a bit... I have the per person upgrade cost at about $21/night, so about half as much (I think you might have multiplied by 2 people twice :)). You're only planning on using 4 TS credits currently - my gut instinct is to stay with the free QSDP and just pay OOP for those 3 meals (4 credit equivalent), but go ahead and do the math.

The cost to upgrade from the QSDP to the DDP is $19.57 per person. $234.84 total to upgrade for the both of you.

Both of you are SO RIGHT! OP forgive me. When I looked at my chart, I used the difference between the child and adult price instead of the difference between QS and DDP.

Thank you, Faldred and DisBuckMan, for catching this.

Thank you so much!

So sorry for doing the wrong math. Please see the CORRECT upgrade price from DisBuckMan. You probably DO want to make the upgrade.

Wow thanks all for double checking that! So my next question is that my paid in full date is in a week BUT I already paid in full a month ago to get it done. Would i still be charged to upgrade?

Wow thanks all for double checking that! So my next question is that my paid in full date is in a week BUT I already paid in full a month ago to get it done. Would i still be charged to upgrade?

Would you still be charged to upgrade from the QSDP to the DDP? Of course you would.

Would you still be charged to upgrade from the QSDP to the DDP? Of course you would.

I think I have confused myself. Way upthread I got the impression that if I upgraded before my paid in full date there wasn't an extra fee just to upgrade, but after the paid in full date there is. Does that make sense?

I think I have confused myself. Way upthread I got the impression that if I upgraded before my paid in full date there wasn't an extra fee just to upgrade, but after the paid in full date there is. Does that make sense?

You're charged to upgrade from the QSDP to the DDP either way. The only way you wouldn't be charged to upgrade to the DDP is if you upgraded to a moderate or deluxe resort, which of course would incur higher charges for the resort.

You're charged to upgrade from the QSDP to the DDP either way. The only way you wouldn't be charged to upgrade to the DDP is if you upgraded to a moderate or deluxe resort, which of course would incur higher charges for the resort.

Gotcha! Thanks so much for all your help!

If you wait past your paid in full date there will be the normal upgrade cost plus a fee. We had to pay it last year when I upgraded too late. I think it was about $25.00. It was still worth it for us. I don't think it will matter if you've already paid in full as long as the pif date hasn't passed. Hope that helps.

They normally waive the change fee as long as you're not within 14 days of arrival (IIRC) and you're upgrading to higher cost.

They normally waive the change fee as long as you're not within 14 days of arrival (IIRC) and you're upgrading to higher cost.

You're probably right about the timing. It's entirely possible it was within 14 days for us. They did make me pay, I think they called it an expedite fee. :confused3

Thank you! Looking at what would be paying out of pocket vs upgrading, even an additional $25 should have us coming out ahead.

Y'all have been so much help! If #s I am crunching are correct, we would be paying about $295 out of pocket just for 3 meals. If I go with the upgrade it would be around $250 AND I would get 2 more table service meals out of it.

We just didn't know when we originally booked that we would get all the meals we wanted

If you need two more TS to add, look to the resorts and Disney Springs for the best availability.

Thanks to all for the help! Just upgraded for a grand total of $234.84. Now even have to book 2 more table service meals!

Well, got it all done. They said that I would see change on MDE. Waited a couple hours and checked and now it says "2016 Table Service-adult, 2016 Table Service-child, 2016 Quick Service" in stead of what is originally said "2016 Quick Service". There are no children and they confirmed it was 2 adults when they (Amelia) read it back.

I called back and first spoke to Melissa Ann who tried a couple things that did not work and she transferred me to Salvador. He read over everything and tried something and then said he was sure it was "just the verbiage there" and directed me to the dining plan section on the website if I need anything else.

Any suggestions or thoughts now?

Well, got it all done. They said that I would see change on MDE. Waited a couple hours and checked and now it says "2016 Table Service-adult, 2016 Table Service-child, 2016 Quick Service" in stead of what is originally said "2016 Quick Service". There are no children and they confirmed it was 2 adults when they (Amelia) read it back.

I called back and first spoke to Melissa Ann who tried a couple things that did not work and she transferred me to Salvador. He read over everything and tried something and then said he was sure it was "just the verbiage there" and directed me to the dining plan section on the website if I need anything else.

Any suggestions or thoughts now?

It's fine. There is always some crazy verbiage on MDE when you have the DDP. "Salvador" is correct.

It's fine. There is always some crazy verbiage on MDE when you have the DDP. "Salvador" is correct.

Thank you again! Obviously I'm really nervous. It isn't even my first Disney trip. I just get all worked up before any trip I plannwhere others are involved!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter