• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice (encouragement) in adopting a deaf dog

terribm

DIS Veteran
We have been shopping for a dog to adopt since we lost our Sidney right after Christmas. There are so many great dogs out there that the process was overwhelming me. I was determined to find the "perfect" dog for our family even if it meant driving anywhere in the state to find it. I was looking at dogs within about a 100 mile radius to us when finally DH says, "there are plenty of dogs right here" (in our town). He sends me a link to a dog at our AARF and we decide to take a look at the sat adoption fair. We all liked the dog and filled out an application. We have spent the week going through the adoption process. Had a home visit with the puppy and we have all fallen in love with her. We named her Georgia and have gotten all of the puppy items she'll need. We are scheduled to bring her home on Sat. They called today to let us know that they have discovered that she is deaf. After the initial surprise of the news, we have decided, as a familly, that we already love her and are up for the challenge of training a deaf dog. I already know a little ASL as I was going to school to be an interpreter for while so I think maybe there is a little divine intervention at work here. I would love to hear from anyone with experience or advice on resources.

We have been shopping for a dog to adopt since we lost our Sidney right after Christmas. There are so many great dogs out there that the process was overwhelming me. I was determined to find the "perfect" dog for our family even if it meant driving anywhere in the state to find it. I was looking at dogs within about a 100 mile radius to us when finally DH says, "there are plenty of dogs right here" (in our town). He sends me a link to a dog at our AARF and we decide to take a look at the sat adoption fair. We all liked the dog and filled out an application. We have spent the week going through the adoption process. Had a home visit with the puppy and we have all fallen in love with her. We named her Georgia and have gotten all of the puppy items she'll need. We are scheduled to bring her home on Sat. They called today to let us know that they have discovered that she is deaf. After the initial surprise of the news, we have decided, as a familly, that we already love her and are up for the challenge of training a deaf dog. I already know a little ASL as I was going to school to be an interpreter for while so I think maybe there is a little divine intervention at work here. I would love to hear from anyone with experience or advice on resources.

We have a 7 year old Australian shepherd who is deaf (since birth). It took a little getting used to but he is a great dog. We were able to train him ourselves to follow basic commands (sit, stay, give paw) using hand signals. What took getting used to was that if we needed his attention to stop doing a behavior or to come, etc. we had to make eye contact or walk to him.

We were also concerned about how he would react to being startled (for example if he was touched while asleep) but it ended up never being an issue.

Ours is a breed that needs a lot of exercise so we had to be very careful, when not tied up, where we let him run.

Also, and I don't know if being deaf has anything to do with it, but he does have some separation anxiety.

He is a very passive and submissive dog, definitely not a guardian, but also the most loving, gentle and affectionate dog we've ever had. Extremely intelligent. I don't think that I've ever heard him growl at anyone or anything. He does bark when he wants your attention.

What kind of dog are you getting? Best of luck to you. There are some challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome with patience. I would not trade our dog for anything.

I don't know from deaf dogs, only deaf people but we're all mammals, right? How different can it be? Heh.

I dunno, but since the poster above with the deaf dog said getting his attention was an issue - maybe you could look into training to light alerts or training her to come if you stomp your foot on the floor.

You can get a deaf person's attention by flicking the lights, by stamping the floor, etc., so seems likely that'd work with a dog. If you train her incorporating that, bet it'd work?

Also maybe do something to go outside like a bell she can touch with a paw or nose, mounted by the doors where she can reach, if she doesn't realize barking works. She wouldn't be able to hear it, obviously, but that doesn't matter so long as she'd connect hitting the bell to you opening the door.

I don't know from deaf dogs, only deaf people but we're all mammals, right? How different can it be? Heh.

I dunno, but since the poster above with the deaf dog said getting his attention was an issue - maybe you could look into training to light alerts or training her to come if you stomp your foot on the floor.

You can get a deaf person's attention by flicking the lights, by stamping the floor, etc., so seems likely that'd work with a dog. If you train her incorporating that, bet it'd work?

Also maybe do something to go outside like a bell she can touch with a paw or nose, mounted by the doors where she can reach, if she doesn't realize barking works. She wouldn't be able to hear it, obviously, but that doesn't matter so long as she'd connect hitting the bell to you opening the door.

Yes!!!! Our dog has learned to respond to flicking the lights. This works great for example if the dog is upstairs and we are downstairs or at night when he's been let outside and it's time to come in. They will learn to respond to things like this and they will learn to watch you for commands. But again, these are learned and so it can be frustrating when they are pups who are still learning.

And just like people, they feel vibration. Our dog can feel the vibration of our garage door so if we are out and he is awake when we get home, we often will find him waiting at the door for us. He doesn't hear us come home, he feels it. :)

I've worked with deaf dogs before and we worked with lights as well. Also using ASL. The website dogwise.com is a really good resource that I use a lot and I have two books from there that I really liked. One is "Hear! Hear! Guide To Training A Deaf Dog" and the other is "Living With A Deaf Dog". It's a little extra work only because it's unnatural for us to rely strictly on hand signals, but she'll be a great little pup, I give you a high five for taking her on!

OP: I don't know anything about deafness in dogs,etc. but I just wanted to say that you rock. Congrats on your family's new addition.

How awesome for your family. Just want to say good luck with the training. Perhaps you can work with a trainer as well?

I would imagine you can train them to ring bells to go out even though they do not hear them.

When we trained our dogs, we used hand signals along with sound so they could respond to silent commands.

I use this laser pointer to play with my cat. It might be used as a light signal to get the dog's attention when he is not facing you. The solid beam of red laser light hits the ground or the wall in front of my cat. I gently wave the light back & forth, it catches her attention & she chases it. It can be pointed from quite a distance.

Never beam the light directly into the dog's eyes, only on the ground or the wall. Slightly waving the light should create movement in his vision that he will notice. He doesn't need to chase it. That's not the purpose for him. It's just to catch his attention and let him know you want him.

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Pointer-Presentation-650nm-Device/dp/B0036ZIVOI/ref=sr_1_20?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1327048703&sr=1-20

I've also seen ones that have bigger beams, like an actual arrow instead of a small dot.

I use this laser pointer to play with my cat. The little red laser light hits the ground or the wall in front of my cat. I wave the light back & forth, it catches her attention & she chases it. It can be pointed from quite a distance.

Never beam the light directly into the dog's eyes, only on the ground or the wall.

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Pointer-Presentation-650nm-Device/dp/B0036ZIVOI/ref=sr_1_20?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1327048703&sr=1-20

I've also seen ones that have bigger beams, like an actual arrow instead of a small dot.
I don't think they wanted to drive the deaf dog insane...

I don't think they wanted to drive the deaf dog insane...

:confused:

I'm talking about using the laser pointer to get the dogs attention since they can't call to the dog. They point it at the floor in front of the dog where he can see it, wave it a couple times to get his attention. Laser pointers aren't strobe lights. I have no idea what you are talking about. :confused3 You, yourself suggested using light alerts.

I'm talking about using the laser pointer to get the dogs attention since they can't call to the dog. They point it at the floor in front of the dog where he can see it, wave it a couple times to get his attention. Laser pointers aren't strobe lights. I have no idea what you are talking about. :confused3 You, yourself suggested using light alerts.

I could see that. You would be able to get the dog's attention in broad daylight in the house.

Maybe cornflake never used this with his pets? My sister plays with her cats as well.

Heh, sorry, I thought you were being funny.

I have used the laser pointers with cats. I don't think it'd work well with a deaf dog as it's small, and directed and a little startley. Like if you got his attention with it by waving it in front of him, then he's looking in front of him, at it, trying to figure it out/catch it/bark at it.

I meant just flicking the lights, like overhead room lights, on and off, to get his attention, same way you do with deaf people, because it's not startling or anything, and it's noticible to anyone in the room and makes people go 'huh?' and look up, and around the room (at other people).

The laser thingy makes cats at least look at and chase and try to apprehend the laser dot, so I don't think it'd work for that. By insane I meant I don't think dogs like to play with those like cats, in general; ones I've seen seem to get all freaked out and bark at it like 'what the ...!?!?!' Thought you were just being facetious! Sorry!

Heh, sorry, I thought you were being funny.

I have used the laser pointers with cats. I don't think it'd work well with a deaf dog as it's small, and directed and a little startley. Like if you got his attention with it by waving it in front of him, then he's looking in front of him, at it, trying to figure it out/catch it/bark at it.

I meant just flicking the lights, like overhead room lights, on and off, to get his attention, same way you do with deaf people, because it's not startling or anything, and it's noticible to anyone in the room and makes people go 'huh?' and look up, and around the room (at other people).

The laser thingy makes cats at least look at and chase and try to apprehend the laser dot, so I don't think it'd work for that. By insane I meant I don't think dogs like to play with those like cats, in general; ones I've seen seem to get all freaked out and bark at it like 'what the ...!?!?!' Thought you were just being facetious! Sorry!

You would use it to get his attention when he is NOT looking at you. Like training him to "come" when he sees the red laser on the wall or something along those lines.

When he is looking at you you would use hand or other sight signals.

You would use it to get his attention when he is NOT looking at you. Like training him to "come" when he sees the red laser on the wall or something along those lines.

When he is looking at you you would use hand or other sight signals.

I dunno, seems you'd have to get his attention first with it before he's going to notice it on the wall, and then it's a bouncy dot/line. Like if it's trying to train the dog to come if he sees the red dot on the wall how does he know to look for it, when, which wall, you know? You'd have to wave it around to catch his attention first.

Hence the light flicking. Catches the attention, without being the focus of attention; makes people anyway, look up then at you (well makes deaf people look at you because they know you're flicking the lights to get their attention), then you talk to them. I figured it'd make the dog look up and at you (and dog would then eventually realize flicking the lights was the sign that someone who could reach the lights and possessed opposable thumbs wanted attention), then they talk to her.

We have a 7 year old Australian shepherd who is deaf (since birth). It took a little getting used to but he is a great dog. We were able to train him ourselves to follow basic commands (sit, stay, give paw) using hand signals. What took getting used to was that if we needed his attention to stop doing a behavior or to come, etc. we had to make eye contact or walk to him.

We were also concerned about how he would react to being startled (for example if he was touched while asleep) but it ended up never being an issue.

Ours is a breed that needs a lot of exercise so we had to be very careful, when not tied up, where we let him run.

Also, and I don't know if being deaf has anything to do with it, but he does have some separation anxiety.

He is a very passive and submissive dog, definitely not a guardian, but also the most loving, gentle and affectionate dog we've ever had. Extremely intelligent. I don't think that I've ever heard him growl at anyone or anything. He does bark when he wants your attention.

What kind of dog are you getting? Best of luck to you. There are some challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome with patience. I would not trade our dog for anything.

So glad to hear of your experience. Ours is a true mixed breed but they think there is australian shepherd because she is white with merle spots. Before we went to see her, I had done some research on that breed and knew of the possibility she was deaf. When we asked at the rescue group, they said she was fine.

The separation anxiety is how they came to find out about her deafness. When they came for the home visit, the foster mom, the lady from AARF and I walked to the other side of the house while DH and the kids stayed with the pup. DH says she turned like she was looking for her mom and got very anxious. It took a while to calm her down. In trying to figure out why she had that reaction, they started to suspect. She is the last of her litter so previously she had been reacting to everything like the rest of the litter so it wasn't obvous.

The more I research and read, the more encouraged and excited I am to take this on. She is so sweet and loving and I can't wait to bring her home tomorrow. I will post pics of sweet Georgia soon.

Thanks for all the good advice:thumbsup2

I think in general terms, dogs, not unlike people, enhance their other senses when some aren't aren't working, so they come more to rely, say, on sense of smell and sight when they're deaf; hearing and smell when they'r'e blind, etc. They also adapt very well once they get used to a routine.

It will be a bit of a challenge at first, but once you develop a system of communication between you (much like with any dog), it should be fairly smooth sailing. If this is the dog in your heart you felt was the right one, I wouldn't let the deafness get in your way of adopting him. You must have been in need of a little challenge in your life. ;)

Also, for future reference, when you have two dogs, usually the one with the intact sense helps the other one with the sense it's lacking. It won't be necessary to get another dog for that reason, but if you ever decide to, it will be interesting to see how they work out their own system. Good luck to you, and I hope you let us know how things go if you move forward with it.

Aside from the deafness, separation anxiety in and of itself can be a difficult thing to deal with in a dog. My dog has severe separation anxiety and even after seven years together, she still surprises me sometimes. She used to hurt herself in the crate when she was younger, and we videotaped her to see what she was doing when we'd come home to find some funky things that we'd never seen in a young dog before, lol. Now we accept it as part of her quirkiness and we know how to work with it, but it definitely has been challenging as well. I think this is a characteristic of many of the herding breeds.

I don't know anything about deaf dogs, I did have a blind cat but I think you are a great person still willing to take the dog. Good luck with her!!!

I see a pp has already suggested the second dog. I've seen how other dogs can lead a deaf or blind dog along with them. We had a chihuahua that lost almost all of his hearing as he got older. Even at a very old age, he learned alot of signs and he could feel us stomp the floor or hit the chair, bed, table or soemthing else. He got along quite well, and he actually enjoyed his hearing loss because he couldn't hear the kids or fireworks or anything else and could live and nap in peace. He was very happy. He did stay in a fenced in back yard and wasn't ever allowed around cars.

Our dog became deaf in her old age which, I would guess, would have been more difficult for her to adjust. But adjust we all did. I think all creatures have some instincts when it comes to communicating and you just kind of make it work without thinking or trying. We did a lot of hand gestures and she just got it. The only real problem, as has been discussed, was the "come" command. I could no longer let her off leash during our walks in the woods. Oh, and she became a REALLY lousy guard dog. It was strange to walk in the door at, say, midnight and watch her just continue to snooze right there on the couch. :laughing:

But it wasn't the worst thing - she had peace in her later years. No more thunderstorms or fireworks to scare her to death!

Enjoy your new pup - trust me, it is not a big deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter