• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Na'vi river journey was disappointing

rance

DIS Veteran
might have been waiting in the Florida heat so long, but we were so disappointed in this ride.
In the year 2017 with technology being so advanced and how great universal did with Harry Potter I except more from Disney then this ride.
Hopefully FOP will be much better when we ride tomorrow :)

FoP is a great ride,I've ridden it three times waiting around 2 hours each time and I'm ready to make that wait again at any time to ride it again.The Na'vi river ride I've ridden once waiting about 75 minutes but I wont get in line again for it unless its under 30 minutes.It is what it is,it's your typical Disney boat ride in a bioluminescent environment,its nice but very underwhelming considering there's only two rides in the land.I was however very skeptical I would like Pandora before it opened,after visiting it several times I've changed my tune as the land is beautiful,especially at night,FoP is amazing and I also like the restaurant and its offerings,not a fan of the popular banshees being sold at the gift shop,theyre cheesy and there's not much else I find interesting to purchase at the gift shop.Overall I still liked very much what Disney did with Pandora,it still falls way short of Potter at Universal but Pandora just changed a park I rarely visited and would close regularly at 6pm to one that makes it worthy of a visit,especially at night which I seem to enjoy this park much more than during the day,now if Disney would pull the plug on RoL,that show falls way short of any Disney nighttime show.

I don't think Harry Potter has anything on Pandora in terms of theming at all. I think Harry Potter is more popular, so the things are more familiar, but I don't think either of the Universal properties (I only think's its fair to compare them singularly, because they are in two separate parks) has anything on Pandora in terms of inclusiveness. I just think HP is a lot more popular, and it resonates with people more, so it feels better. But in reality, it's also one ride (1.5 at IOA), a bunch of props and a bunch of stores.

I think there is just nothing in NRJ to connect with people that do not know anything about, or have any interest in, Avatar. It is visibly stunning, but I was done and wanted off halfway through.

Seems to be a common opinion on here.

We're riding next week so I'm reserving judgment. Disney isn't really that technology focussed - if you want high tech, go to universal.

I like the ride but maybe because I'm a fan of the movie. I wish the ride was longer though

If 7DMT is the best they could do when it came out, Disney is behind the times technology wise. Universal have been much more on the ball.

I'll wait until I've been on FoP though as I may change my mind after that...

We are a family that prefers slow moving rides, especially the boat rides. Our favorites include It's a Small World, Living with the Land, and other slow moving rides like Haunted Mansion, Under the Sea, and Nemo.

I assume we'll love the Navi River Journey. Please remember that Disney makes rides for all sorts of people. Just because you don't like slow moving rides doesn't mean there isn't a group of people who do have that preference.

I agree that Disney makes rides inter-generational, which is what we love about it. We did Universal for a year and though it was fun (and sorry, but I think Diagon Alley is *phenomenal* in theming and not just getting by on HP's popularity), we really missed the slower rides of Disney. DH gets motion sickness easily and he has to sit out so many rides at Universal. And sometimes you just want a slow ride to enjoy the theming!

I love slow moving boat or omnimover rides. My favorite at Disney.
So I am one of the lone people looking more forward to riding the River Ride than FOP. :)

I haven't seen HP at Universal yet, we will though one day.

While I still love the books, I don't really watch the movies anymore, especially since Alan Rickman passed. :( Kind of lost their luster for me.

But I did watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night and LOVED it!

Very valid point of Disney making rides for every preference . Also the basis of each themed ride Harry Potter vs. Avatar having different narrative and materials to work with to make the experience vivid and fun for fans.

I love slow moving boat or omnimover rides. My favorite at Disney.
So I am one of the lone people looking more forward to riding the River Ride than FOP. :)

Count me right there with you! We did one day at AK in July, and chose River Journey instead of FOP. No, it isn't very long, but it wound up being longer than I though after reading all of the "it's so short" posts here. We found it very visually appealing, and the luminescent effects are lovely. I would definitely ride it again (and again)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter