Name a skill your parents taught you?

When I got a job as a cashier at a drug store, my Dad taught me how to count back change. This was in the early 80s and it was a manual type cash register, not digital. You hit the keys on it to record the purchases and you had to add the tax manually (from a chart).

Gardening, canning, cooking, and baking. My grandmother taught me sewing/quilting and cake decorating. Learning those "skills" required an awful lot of work on my part. :P

How to read
How to pray
Getting up early in the morning for productivity
Manners and etiquette
Driving
Cooking
General housekeeping
Gardening
Serving others
How to fix practically anything with chewing gum and binder-twine (figuratively speaking; thanks Dad!!) :goodvibes

i was the late in life child of my father who was an adult during the depression. i only had my dad for the first 19 years of my life but he taught me through words and actions about budgeting, saving and how to stretch every dollar.

Driving a standard transmission car, cooking basics-I love to cook, how to change a tire (16 minutes from loosening the first lug nut to tightening the last lug nut was my best time as an adult), and I am sure there are more life skills they deserve the credit.

It may not be a big deal to some, but I learned how to fry any style of egg from my mom.

How to read
How to pray
Getting up early in the morning for productivity
Manners and etiquette
Driving
Cooking
General housekeeping
Gardening
Serving others
How to fix practically anything with chewing gum and binder-twine (figuratively speaking; thanks Dad!!) :goodvibes
Same here,,only it was my Mother and grandmother---and you forgot duct tape in the last line, lol!

From my mother: Patience, kindness, manners, to be unselfish

From my father: work ethic, value of a $, drinking and misogyny

My Dad worked for a time in the mess hall in the Air Force. He taught me how to clean stuck on food out of a pot or pan by boiling dish soap and water in them. I still do this.

My Mom loved flea markets and yard sales and would take us to them. She could bargain like nobody's business and always get a good price. She taught me how to do this, offering a price and when to say, "what's your *best* price?" I am not a forward person by nature, but at a flea market look out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter