Naked in the dressing room for the gym?

asemaria

Mouseketeer
This might be a stupid question, but I really want to know the answer. When you use the showers and the dressing room for the gym what is the norm form clothing?
I will be on the Magic.
I have used it twice before, but I was alone in there. Here in Europe we usually are naked in the dressing room and we walk around naked around the showers as well. I don't always feel comfortable doing that and if others don't do it I would feel so embaressed.
To make things worse only one of the showers had a curtain.
Can someone please tell me the norm?
Thank you!

That is a really good question LOL!

I usually go back to my room to shower. When I go to the spa I just change right there in front of my locker. I can't even remember if there are changing rooms.

That is a really good question LOL! I usually go back to my room to shower. When I go to the spa I just change right there in front of my locker. I can't even remember if there are changing rooms.
Thank you for responding!
With dressing room I actually meant the locker room LOL

The room with the two showers is adjacent and is quite big with two loungers if I am not mistaking.

There are robes in the locker area so most people use the robes to walk around in, do their hair, etc.

I know the men's room has shower curtains or doors on each of the showers so I'm assuming the women's room is that way also.

Also, when I've been in the sauna in the locker room I always have a towel on in there as well.

You will also find everything you need to get ready in the locker rooms, shampoo, shower gel, razors, shaving cream, hair dryers, etc.

I'm not sure that there is a norm - I think that it depends on the individual. I have no problem with walking around naked in a locker room. I'm quite used to doing that in my gym here and got used to it when I lived in residence during university days (although you had to watch out for the guys who would walk through the bathroom as a shortcut to the dining rooms). Tends to reduce your inhibitions a bit. But even in the gym that I used to go to, I would see women dress and undress underneath a towel or use the private cubicles to change. My sister refuses to undress and shower in her gym because it makes her uncomfortable.

Some people are comfortable walking around without a robe and others are not; some are fine with others walking around naked and and others are not. I typically use the robes in the locker room on the ship but mostly because it's warmer and aborbs the remaining water on my skin. I do find the locker rooms a bit drafty and they often leave the main door open too so I don't want to walk past it without a robe. I can only suggest you play it by ear when you're there.

This might be a stupid question, but I really want to know the answer. When you use the showers and the dressing room for the gym what is the norm form clothing?
I will be on the Magic.
I have used it twice before, but I was alone in there. Here in Europe we usually are naked in the dressing room and we walk around naked around the showers as well. I don't always feel comfortable doing that and if others don't do it I would feel so embaressed.
To make things worse only one of the showers had a curtain.
Can someone please tell me the norm?
Thank you!

do whatever you're comfortable with...
i've seen people in robes and in nothing (it's whatever is more comfortable for you)..
i'm more comfortable walking around in a robe or in a towel...

digressing, because i see you're from Sweden your post made me laugh as it reminded me of an incident about 20 years ago - when my kids were very young...
we were scuba diving at Dolphin Reef in Eilat...
it was one of those things where anyone can go scuba diving with the dolphins - from age 8 to 80...and it's one on one...each person gets a guide..
anyway, at the end, you go into the big public shower to wash off and take off your wetsuit....
i was helping my two kids (young at the time - 8 and 10 years old) wash off...
now everyone there showers in their bathing suits (which you wear under the wet suit)..
so there were about 6 people all washing off in their swim suits and then all of a sudden we all notice that down on the end of the row of showers two swedish tourists had stripped naked.....
the two most perfect bodies i have EVER seen (a young couple, man and woman)....
well....
it was obvious that EVERYONE noticed them, but was doing their damnedest not to look (though it was really difficult not to - tall, tan, blonde, gorgeous, muscular, lean, and naked as the day they were born....not to mention, the man wasn't circumcised - so a real stand out so to speak...)....
totally unrelated to your question, but it made me laugh and remember...
by the way, i just asked DD (now 30 years old) your question and she started laughing and said, "remember when we were in eilat"......i guess it's seared into all our memories!!!

I want to commend you for caring enough to ask! I think in general most Americans are less than comfortable with someone walking around completely naked in the locker room/dressing room. We are ok with normal changing from gym to street clothes etc but get uncomfortable with anyone lounging around in their birthday suit! Have a great trip!:wave2:

do whatever you're comfortable with... i've seen people in robes and in nothing (it's whatever is more comfortable for you).. i'm more comfortable walking around in a robe or in a towel... digressing, because i see you're from Sweden your post made me laugh as it reminded me of an incident about 20 years ago - when my kids were very young... we were scuba diving at Dolphin Reef in Eilat... it was one of those things where anyone can go scuba diving with the dolphins - from age 8 to 80...and it's one on one...each person gets a guide.. anyway, at the end, you go into the big public shower to wash off and take off your wetsuit.... i was helping my two kids (young at the time - 8 and 10 years old) wash off... now everyone there showers in their bathing suits (which you wear under the wet suit).. so there were about 6 people all washing off in their swim suits and then all of a sudden we all notice that down on the end of the row of showers two swedish tourists had stripped naked..... the two most perfect bodies i have EVER seen (a young couple, man and woman).... well.... it was obvious that EVERYONE noticed them, but was doing their damnedest not to look (though it was really difficult not to - tall, tan, blonde, gorgeous, muscular, lean, and naked as the day they were born....not to mention, the man wasn't circumcised - so a real stand out so to speak...).... totally unrelated to your question, but it made me laugh and remember... by the way, i just asked DD (now 30 years old) your question and she started laughing and said, "remember when we were in eilat"......i guess it's seared into all our memories!!!
Well I would NEVER EVER shower naked in a Co-ed shower room, (and I most def. do not have a perfect body. I would say that those Swedish tourists were not the norm. Most Swedes are shy, we would never talk to strangers, and the naked part is mostly roumours. (Even though you have the excample to prove it can happen) Germans on the other hand are often naked in the sauna even if it is both for Female and Male.

I want to commend you for caring enough to ask! I think in general most Americans are less than comfortable with someone walking around completely naked in the locker room/dressing room. We are ok with normal changing from gym to street clothes etc but get uncomfortable with anyone lounging around in their birthday suit! Have a great trip!:wave2:

Thank you for your honest answer. I did use a robe (I feel uncomfortable strutting around naked) But I was worried that the robes only were for the spa-guests and I don't want to make mistakes.
Yes I know I worry about stupid things Lol

Thank you! I will have an amazing trip, I love DCL!!!

We had an incident where a gentleman apparently didn't realize that the adult pool area wasn't European style and had to be asked to cover up his nakedness. He reluctantly complied. I guess he really wanted that "all over" tan.

But, in the locker rooms, I think it's okay to go with what you're comfortable with. If someone doesn't expect to see naked people in a locker room, then they don't understand what a locker room is.

IMHO, walking around naked in the locker room for dudes is disgusting. Wrap a towel around your man parts. Now with the ladies, it's a beautiful thang! :thumbsup2:cool1:

Um, ew? Locker rooms are locker rooms; no one's posing for a picture there.

Thank you for your honest answer. I did use a robe (I feel uncomfortable strutting around naked) But I was worried that the robes only were for the spa-guests and I don't want to make mistakes.
Yes I know I worry about stupid things Lol

Thank you! I will have an amazing trip, I love DCL!!!

When you go to the locker room near the gym, there will be robes and towels just sitting there for you to use as you wish.

But, in the locker rooms, I think it's okay to go with what you're comfortable with. If someone doesn't expect to see naked people in a locker room, then they don't understand what a locker room is.

I agree.

I personally am modest in a locker room, but many people at my YMCA certainly are not!

Don't give it a second thought. The locker rooms are pretty compact, so it's not as though you'd be walking a great distance without clothes. You'll see people who are naked and those who are all wrapped up in robes. There are plenty of towels and robes available in both the locker room and the Rainforest room for anyone to use. The showers are roomy and have hooks available, so the shy can go right from the shower to a robe.

The only requirement is that the sauna in the locker rooms requires some sort of clothing - bathing suite, towel, or something.

Yes i agree. Most North Americans aren't comfortable with someone walking around naked. Getting naked to change from sweaty clothes into fresh ones thou is obviously fine.

IMHO, walking around naked in the locker room for dudes is disgusting. Wrap a towel around your man parts. Now with the ladies, it's a beautiful thang! :thumbsup2:cool1:

Um no. I don't think having someone's hairy goods in my face or parading around is a beautiful thing.

Guess I'm a prude, but I don't want to be naked in front of other cruisers and I don't want to see them naked either. Glad I read about it here, so I know to avoid the spa and locker room.

Most Americans will not walk or lounge around a gym locker room naked, but some will. I never shower in locker rooms, but in my gym at home, I will strip down to my bra and underwear to change. Other women will get completely naked to quickly change but when I personally need to do that, I do it in a bathroom stall. There occasionally is someone who walks naked from the showers to the lockers to get dressed. Honestly, I don't understand what is so difficult about wrapping a towel around yourself until you're ready to get dressed (general you, not you personally), but I'm not offended by women who feel differently. There are most certainly women who would be, and there are a lot of regional differences in opinions in America.

Thank you for having the consideration to ask. I often feel like people from other countries expect Americans to abide by their customs when we visit but do not do the same when visiting the US.

Well I would NEVER EVER shower naked in a Co-ed shower room, (and I most def. do not have a perfect body. I would say that those Swedish tourists were not the norm. Most Swedes are shy, we would never talk to strangers, and the naked part is mostly roumours. (Even though you have the excample to prove it can happen) Germans on the other hand are often naked in the sauna even if it is both for Female and Male.

it wasn't just coed - it was an outdoor shower...for washing off the salt and to assist in pealing the wetsuit off..

by the way, in my experience, Swedish backpackers are not at all shy, same as most backpackers, due to the coed nature of many hostels (especially those in Europe - definitely not places for the shy).

as for Germany - that reminds me of the time i was there on business...well i'm there on business all the time, but the one time i and my colleagues decided to take a short break from our 24/7 sessions...
we headed down to the pool / sauna....of course, as we were 2 guys and 1 gal (me), and since the sauna was co-ed, we all wore our swim suits....
well...as you said, there were already 3 people in there (men and women), all German and all in their birthday suits...so ok....no biggie....we'd all seen naked bodies before...
so we sat down (on our towels i might add)....a minute later, a spa attendant came in and told us we were forbidden to wear our swimsuits in the sauna...
so it was strip naked or get out....we got out.... :rolleyes:
we didn't laugh right at that moment (that would have been rude), but we nearly split our guts laughing afterwards....

anyway, again, do what is comfortable for you...
i wouldn't generalize about america - as it's so diverse...
at canyon ranch in arizona (my one american non-cruise spa experience, where i've been many times), many women prance around totally naked in the locker room (though others do not)...given that my body is less than stellar, i'm always covered and prefer changing in a private area if possible...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter