My very first Disney Dining reviews with some pics!!!

WDmommyof4

DIS Veteran
Okay I am new to this, so it probably won't be the best review, but I promise to do better next time. I don't have to many pictures, because our camera ran out of batteries after our first 2 days, and I refused to pay $20 for new batteries, so when I found some for $6 I resumed my picture taking LOL.

Trip dates: Feb. 3rd-8th
Cast: Myself 25, My fiance Matt 32, DS6, DS5, DS3.
Table Service and character meals:
Ohana
Coral Reef
Donald's Brakfastosaurus
Tony's
Akershus
Counter Service meals:
Cosmic Ray's
Yorkshire county fish and chips shop
Colombia Harbour House
Pecos Bills

We arrived at Disney World late the night of the second, so our first real day was the 3rd. For lunch we ate at Cosmic Ray's in the Magic Kingdom. This place is always one of my personal favorites,a nd still was after this trip. The food was plentiful and the entertainment is great with the alien show. Myself and Matt had the chicken and ribs platters with mashed potatoes and carrots with chocolate cake for dessert. Everything was good, except the chocolate cake had to much iceing on it, but it is prepackaged, so what do you expect. The kids had the chicken nuggets with grapes, fries and jello for dessert. Our bill for two adult meals and two children's meals was $54.00
DCP_0226.jpg

That night we ate at Ohana's and it was by far the best meal of our entire trip, and the value is great as well. We arrived early for our reservation, and had to wait awhile, but our reservation was for 7:50 pm and we must have been seated close to that time, because we ate our appetizers while watching wishes out the window. If you get a reservation for about 7:50 ask to sit near the far windows. We were right in front of one, and they pipe the music from the magic kingdom that places during wishes into the restaurant and you get to hear it while watching the fireworks. Our waiter and the his helper were the best. They were so friendly and wewre always there to refill drinks etc. I also like that they bring you haot towels to clean your hands with, trust me with three young boys they were definitly needed. The first brought us like wanton bread and three dipping sauces. One was spicy and that was the best, there was a sweet like sesame oil one that was okay and a green oily one that I didn't care for as well. The next brought out BBQ honey chicken wings that were great and some shrimp. After that they brought out stir fry vegetables, and the best au gratin potatoes I have ever had in my life. While you are eating all that they come around with meat on big skewers and let you pick what you want. I had some of everything. I will say that the steak was a little to rare for me, but what I had of it was really good. They also brought turkey which was a little dry, but the pork sausages, and chicken were delicious. I love this restaurant,a nd we will come back every year. I highly recommend you try this at least once. I only have two pictures of this food, because I gave Matt the camera and he held it too close tot he heated food, so all our pics have steam over the food.

DCP_0262.jpg

DCP_0261.jpg

Okay guys I have to go do some other things right now, but I promise to come back later and give you day to. Up next is the Coral Reef and Yorkshire county fish and chips shop.

We loooooved the potatoes at Ohana as well... we actually got a second plate of them!!!! SOOOO YUMMY! Looking fwd to more reviews.

Great start! Since I haven't eaten anything yet today, the pics are making me hungry!

That looks so good! Maybe we will try cosmic Rays. We are going to wing it for counter service, and that sound and looks so delicious!

As far as eating counter service at MK, I think Cosmic Ray's is the better place. They offer quite a selection for CS between the three stations. I have never had bad service. And they have a well stocked fixin's bar. Their portions are larger than even need be.

Last weekend we gave CHH another try. (Around a year ago the service was horrible, and the food not so good either.)
Four adults and we each ordered their Garden Galley Salad - mixed greens with chicken, pecans, pineapple and feta cheese.
We all said the same -- their salad is not near as good as it use to be. They use to have their own dressing on this salad. Now they don't and guests select from general dressings that most places offer. And the ingredients were not as good as in the past either. CHH is off our list for good I think.

Hi everyone, and thanks for the replies. I will do day two tonight and work on days three and four in the morning. For breakfast each of the mornings I fed my boys poptarts and breakfast bars on the way to the bus stop and then we had early lunches, it just helped us save money since you only get two meals a day on the dining plan, and with the exception of my DS6 we love food. My love of food is bordering on obsessive, and that is probably the thing I spend the most time on when planning our vacations to Disney LOL.

So for day two we tried two places we have never eaten at before. For lunch we had a reservation for 11:30am at Coral Reef Restaurant in Epcot. This was our worst table service meal of the trip. Our waiter wasn't neccessarily rude, just absent for most of the meal. I ordered the crab and seafood souffle for an appetizer and it was in one word "disgusting". For starters it had the consistancy of spam. I took one bite and didn't touch it again. Matt ordered the lobster soup and said it was okay but a bit cold. The kids got the fish soup and vegetable platter for appetizers. They ate the vegetables, but not the soup. For the entree Matt and I both ordered the New Yorl strip steak with au gratin potatoes. The steak was good for a steak, but the portion of potatoes was small and compared tot he ones at Ohana they weren't very good. The kids all had mac and cheese and of course loved it. For dessert we had the chocolate wave. Now while I hated the rest of my meal, I would suffer through another horrible meal just to taste this dessert. It is by far the best dessert I have ever had! The kids got a kick out of getting to build their own sundaes. I will mention that we requested to sit near the aquarium and got stuffed way in a back corner which didn't help our enjoyment of our meal any. Overall the food is average at best and way to pricey, but I would go again just for the dessert. Our bill total was $134.00.

For dinner that night we tried the Yorkshire county fish and chip shop. The offerings here are slim, basically you can have fish, chips, or both lol. We ordered 4 fish and chip combos, four sodas, and 4 shortbreads. If you go here on the DDP there is no children's menu, so you get full size meals that can be boxed up and saved for later snacks. For fish and chips it was good, but a bit greasy, and the shortbread was the only dessert offered and was prepackaged. We might go here again in a few years when we run out of other new options, but not a must see. My opinion is not good or bad just sort of neutral. Total bill was $50.00

I forgot to mention above that our bill total for Ohana's was $110.00. Now we are on the DDP, but I kept all reciepts and rounded the totals up to give others and idea of what it would cost if you paid for it yourself. So to show you if you had one table service to pick Ohana's would be a better value and better food in my opinion. I walked out of Ohana's stuffed and out of Coral reef feeling like I ahd barely eaten. I will come back in the morning as promised, and thanks again for checking in. Sorry there are no pics of these restaurants, but by this time our camera was out of batteries. Tommorow I will give my reviews on Donald's Breakfastosaurus, Tony's, and Akershus. Good night and pixiedust: to all of you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter