My Review of Best Friends Pet Care at WDW

c3363

Mouseketeer
A few weeks ago, I visited WDW and used Best Friends Pet Care. The following is my review of our experience.

I signed my dog up for an indoor only suite months ahead of time with bottled water each day. Since there are no pictures on the website of the "suites," only dimensions of the "room", I was imagining a small long hallway type of room with a glass door similar to what is shown in the pictures on the website. At check-in, there was quite a long wait even though there were only two guests in the lobby and 4 employees standing around in the front.

They asked for instructions about when my dog needs to eat, what he eats and sign a waiver that if he is injured or killed the kennel is not responsible. Then I had to either write in an amount of money I would like to spend to save him if he is dying or check off "at all costs." They also asked me if he had any aggressive behaviors and if he needed to keep his harness on all the time or just for walks.

He was allowed two toys, food, and his pee pad. No water bowls or bedding were allowed. An employee was trying to get a paper collar on my dog and he was a little afraid of her. There was no attempt to make him comfortable. They simply grabbed his leash and coldly led him down the concrete hallway. No goodbyes, no cheerful demeanor, no getting to know him etc.

I visited my dog a few hours later. We went out along the small walkway. I was expecting a longer trail, this was probably less than 1/10 of a mile on gravel. It was fenced in which was good, and there was a water fountain for dogs to drink out of halfway down. The dog park area was double gated for entry and exit. There was a fountain with several areas of rocks that were covered in algae and mold. There were two water dishes which were both empty. There were two very small wading pools which were also empty and 3 benches. There was an area of real grass, a fake grass area and a gravel area. There were many brushy bushes along the inside edge of the dog park. The bushes immediately made me nervous since it provided an ideal habitat for snakes. I am someone who likes snakes and I have no fear of them, however this was clearly an IDEAL snake habitat, and since Florida is full of venomous snakes, I feel like they should have been wiser in choosing the landscaping/bushes. After a little while, we headed in through the right entrance past the "villas." The villas are the small hallways with the glass doors.

I went in and up to the desk. I asked to see where my dog was staying. They hesitated to show me but reluctantly did. I was quite surprised by where he was being kept. It did not meet my expectations, and it was definitely not a "room" as described on the website. He was in a very small, low cage which was mainly wire and stainless steel. It held his pee pad, a small cot with a small area of stainless steel left over for the floor. The area of the "suites" was deafening, which can be expected. There were cages/kennels everywhere stacked on top of each other. It reminded me of a veterinary cage. Nervous dogs would have nowhere in their accommodations to hide as the cage was primarily open/wire on the front and back. There were rows of wire/steel cages everywhere. Next to my dog, two large spaniels were sharing the same size small cage.

I did not like the area at all. It was clean, it didn't smell, but I find that they mislead you on the website to think that you are getting a room, something better than a cage. If I wanted a cage, I could have boarded him at a vet's office. I attempted to upgrade him to a villa but they were all booked, so I looked at the indoor outdoor which was much smaller and only opened certain times of the day. I kept the indoor-only.

I visited my dog 2-3 times per day for 30-60 minutes. Only one time did I see an employee who actually appeared to like dogs and make an effort to be cheerful. Pretty much every time I went, there was nobody in line and it still took 20 minutes for them to bring my dog out. One day on the walking trail, we saw a water moccasin (venomous) inside the gate near the water fountain. I went in and informed the employees and they did not seem at all concerned. I feel like they should have went out and removed it before a dog was bitten.

Over the week, my dog became increasingly stressed out. He didn't want to go back with the employees and they made no effort to bond with him or make him comfortable. Nearly every time I went in, there were 4-5 girls standing around at the front desk discussing their hair and clothes. I even saw a manager calling to them and asking for some help in the back. She was also annoyed at their lack of work ethic.

Throughout the trip, each time I went to see my dog he was soaked on his underside. On his last morning he began to yelp as if something was hurting him when you touched his side. I assume that they were leaving the harness on him against my wishes because he was not in any playgroups where he could have been injured. I am trying not to think of other explanations for his sudden yelping in pain.

One last thing I would like to mention are the two included "walks." When I think of a walk, I think of a dog getting some time to move around and actually walk. However, the walks that the suite dogs were getting were stepping outside a door on a small patch of fake grass for 2-3 minutes to pee and go back in the cage. They were not walking on the trail or in the dog park. They were literally stepping out onto a tiny patch of fake grass and going back in. There was absolutely no actual walking involved on any of the occasions I observed. Keep in mind, this is during slow season. I can't imagine during peak.

On a positive note, the dog park was clean of poop and did not smell. The cage area and walking trail seemed clean and did not smell either.
I know a lot of people like Best Friends at WDW, but I was not impressed. I am writing this review to inform others of the experience we had this September of 2011.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. I have never trusted Disney Kennels and even less since taken over by Best Friends - your review confirms my concerns.

I am so sorry your furbaby had such a stressful week - being kept in a cage all the time certainly sounds awful..and the poor Cocker Spaniels having to share the same size cage. So sad....:sad2:

Did you find out why your doglet was in pain? Hope it was not serious and everything is okay.:goodvibes

Again, thank you for posting the review.:thumbsup2

Thanks for the review. We were considering this option for our next visit, but will much rather leave our dog at home with the kennel we normally use. She will have to stay longer, but at least it will be with people who genuinely seem to care, and in spacious and appropriate accomodations!!

Thanks for posting this review. I'm sure having this information will make a difference for people who care about their pets and don't wish to leave them in this uncaring and prison like environment.

Marlton Mom

wow, that soesnt sound good at all. I made a resevation for my cats in a few weeks(i live loacally) and i was going to board them there but i dont think i am going to be needing their services afterall, and it sounds like it is for the better!

Some people seemed to like it. However, the staff are very reluctant to show you the accommodations for the "suites." I don't think most people that board at WDW are aware that the suites are actually regular small cages.

Wow!! I am shocked and disgusted by the conditions for those poor animals. We take our beloved pets to a wonderful place, where a wonderful woman, has a boarding service at her house. She actually has suites, real suites....not small wire cages advertised as suites. Our dogs are housed in dog runs that have airconditoned indoor space with a dog flap to an outside space that they can use at will. They are actually walked, not taken to pee twice a day.
When I board my dogs there, I expect the service that is advertised. Not a horrible place, that does not take care of my pet as they should. I am sure you wanted to take your dog out of there immediately and was very hard to leave there with out your dog.
Thank you for writting this report, as there are many pet/animal lovers out there who would want to board their pets at this kennel and will now be able to find a better place.

Thanks for taking the time to post this info. It is very upsetting and I certainly won't take my dogs there. I wonder how many people who requested an upgraded space actually saw that their pet was in a cage, especially since they don't like to show them? I hope your dog is okay.

Mistreating dogs makes my blood boil. :mad:

Its the only animal I know of that's born tame to humans-how can you be cruel to that?

OP I truly hope that your little furbaby is doing well and thank you for posting your honest and upsetting review.:flower3::grouphug:

When we go away my parents are the one's who take care of my Shiba babies. We were all thinking of going together in 2013 so I was looking into the Best Friends Pet Care. It sounded so wonderful until now.

I would have been livid if my babies were kept in a wired cage. That is totally unacceptable and everyone in the state of FL and possibly GA would have heard my mouth. But then again, I would have had no choice like you as to leave my babies there because we are on vacation. If a company advertises certain accommodations, then that's what should be offered. Not something else. As far as the lack of caring, this is a job for an animal lover. Not a teenager that is more interested in their clothes and hair. It's a good thing that I wasn't their manager/boss.

Another thing that scares me is the waiver that they make you sign that if injury or death should occur while your pet is there, they are not to be held responsible. What?:scared1: I do understand that there are certain circumstances beyond their control but if something like this should happen someone is to be held responsible. Your pet is in their care.

After this review, my babies will never step paw in that place.

jade1 love the BW photo. Just fabulous.

I was extremely worried for the entire trip about him. It definitely put a damper on what was otherwise a fun trip.

Once you go down, you are pretty much stuck. There really isn't another option down there other than switching resorts to a pet-friendly off property hotel. I believe the only disney property for dogs is the campground at Fort Wilderness. I'm not sure where the dogs are kept in there during the day. We didn't have a camper and I would imagine campers would get extremely hot in the Florida heat and be unsafe for dogs.
:confused3

I feel I should mention that there was one girl who was very friendly and nice to both us and our dog. She worked the night shift, had a blond ponytail and mentioned she had a two-year-old daughter. She was the only employee who was attentive to us and our dog and who had a friendly and efficient demeanor.

My dog's cage neighbor was a small yorkie dressed in a pink outfit. Our second day, we saw the yorkie posing for pictures inside the magic kingdom on main street with her owner. Apparently that owner wasn't happy with the kennel either and took her out. I don't blame her, but I wonder how she got the dog past security :rotfl:

Hi
I'm glad you posted this review!! My dog passed away last Oct. at the age of 17 and couldn't even imagine letting her stay in a place like that!! It sounds horrible. I hope a lot more people read your review, so they don't have their best friend stay there. I always had a friend stay overnight in my house with my dog when I'd go on vacation, so she would be happy.

Thank you for posting this review. We almost brought our Yorkie with us in July and planned to board him there. I don't know what I would have done. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. Maybe if enough pet owners complain, things will change.

Wow I am shocked. Thank you so much for posting your review. We are frequent travelers to WDW and our German shepherd is like our baby! I'd love to take him to Disney with us one time to try out the new kennel but after reading your review, there's no way I'd take the chance. My baby will be much happier at home staying with family then being stuck in a small cage. There's just no way he could handle it as he's an active dog that already has serious separation anxiety.

OMG; thank you so much for your review! I was going to book for our upcoming October trip but will not be doing so now! I am so glad I read your post and really appreciate you taking the time to let all of us animal lovers know about this! I would be so livid if this happened to my "grandpup"!:mad: Thanks again!

We used Best Friends for our cockerspaniel & cat this summer. We had a completely different experience. We were very pleased with the cleanliness. We found the staff to be very friendly & caring about Duchess & Socks. We loved that Duchess & Socks sent us an email giving us a report while staying @ Best Friends along with their photograph. We had used the Disney Kennels previously & although they were small our pets loved them especially the one at Fort Wilderness. We were a little worried about the change but we were very pleased. We have several small trips planned as oldest DD is dong the DCP & wants her fur babies to visit her so they will be visiting again.

We have a Best Friends Kennel near our home in Massachusetts. On our first trip since getting our current dog, I considered boarding her there, partially because I had been following the construction of the Best Friends Kennel at WDW and it sounded amazing.

I decided to visit the kennel before booking and boy am I glad I did. The caged off areas were incredibly tiny. The area where my medium sized dog would have been housed would give her just enough inside room to lay down and that was it. There was also a small outside space but it was not much and was just wire fencing. Our dog takes a bit to warm up to other dogs and I knew she would be horrified being in such close proximity to other dogs all day long. I had always assumed that maybe the WDW Best Friends Kennel would be better than this one ( I figured it had to be!) but it sounds like not so much. Very disappointing.

First red flag should have been the long wait time, second one should have been their reluctance to show you their accommodations.

Best Friends Pet Care shut down their locations in each of the parks and built the one large one. I believe it is a horrible spot, because there are swamps near it, which means alligators, snakes, bugs..etc. They might say that they check, but they don't about the Bordatella vaccine (for Kennel Cough) my dog contracted it after staying at the Magic Kingdom one when it was open. We were never asked for that paperwork. She even had the current vaccine only weeks old. But she still contracted it. We have never had luck with any of the locations that were in WDW and refuse to ever use BFPC, even at the new location. Also, when we used the MK one, we had my dog Amber (who is a rottweiler) on a choke chain. They kept it on her so tight during her stay that it began wearing away the hair on her neck. Even after we would check on her, it always seemed to tighten mysteriously.

I have worked at kennels for years, worked in a vets office for 1 year, Camp Bow Wow for a few months (worst job ever), and another local kennel here. We have had our experience with Best Friends Pet Care (There is a location up here. It reminds me much of the kennel on the movie Homeward Bound, it is disgusting, the people do not care.

Lots of the people employed in kennels are people who could care less about animals. When I worked at Camp Bow Wow, I noticed another employee who kicked my dog, but she was a senior employee. Had been there for years, it makes you wonder sometimes.

I would only trust my animals (three cats, three dogs) with the care of my local vet who has boarding areas. I have friends who work there, so we know they're well taken care of. I personally would ask around next time you board your animals to family, friends, anyone and ask about their experiences with local kennels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter