My resort, vacation cost and my co-workers, ughh

Why would you tell anyone what you had paid for anything? It is none of their business. It sounds to me a little like bragging on your part. My wife and I visit WDW every year and I have never mentioned the price tag once to anyone at the office.

This is such an interesting discussion, in part because I've lived in different parts of the country and can identify with many different perspectives.

Where I lived growing up and at the time I lived there, nobody would ever talk about cost. If someone liked your new dress, for example, the cost of that dress would always remain a mystery. If you paid very little for that dress, you certainly wouldn't disclose that. I can't imagine anyone would discuss the cost of vacations.

Now, my local culture is the opposite. If someone likes your new dress and you got a great deal, you tell them! Same with vacations. "Did you get a good deal?" is a common question. And "yes, I did!" followed by disclosure of cost and celebration is common. Or "no, I didn't" followed by disclosure of cost and shared irritation is also common among friends and people with whom we work. Maybe it's because many of us travel a lot - primarily to non-Disney destinations with some Disney mixed in. Mostly I think it's because we love discussing good deals. Especially when I took the kids to Disney for a bonus 3-night trip using APs and a $69/night room at All Star Music! On the flip side, many of us lament the increased cost of Disney CL, travel to Europe or travel with more than two kids generally. But we do talk about it.

Thought of you guys last night! We had our work Christmas dinner, and my boss asked when I was leaving for Disney and how long I was staying.

When I told my boss how long we were staying, he asked where we were staying. When I said, "Yacht Club," he said, "Boy, I must be paying you too much." He was joking, but I felt compelled to say, "Oh, we've been saving up for this for a very long time."

I make a decent living, but we also make Disney World vacations a financial priority. We don't blow money on a lot of the crap that many people do.

Bottom line, you have to stop worrying about what other people think and do your thing. It's the key to life.

Heck I don't even tell my parents and I pay for them to come along. (They buy their own tickets though)

I will discuss it with close friends or coworkers if we're discussing trip planning but I don't volunteer the info.

If you've got the money - you can spend it as you see fit.

Well its about 6 weeks out till our trip and I am starting to dread mentioning it my co-workers. I mean they already have an idea because I have mentioned the needed dates, (for my name on the vacation calendar)

I really don't want to be honest about how much it costs to stay at the AKL. I'm sure they will ask something though.:headache:

Why is anyone's business and why would you care?

A response to anyone who actually had the gumption to ask such a thing...... "Why would you ask me that?!?!????"

Why would you tell anyone what you had paid for anything? It is none of their business. It sounds to me a little like bragging on your part. My wife and I visit WDW every year and I have never mentioned the price tag once to anyone at the office.
I'm not bragging about anything!! I am just anticipating what all will be said. But you know, I need to quit worrying about what others think. But when you get comments like I did just last week from a co-worker, it aggrevates me a bit. But ya, I just need to let it go in one ear and out the other.

I don't have coworkers, but I get comments from my extended family. Oh well. I just let it roll off.

I don't have coworkers, but I get comments from my extended family. Oh well. I just let it roll off.
Ya, that's what I am going to do. Nothing else I can do. I knew most of you would understand what I am talking about. Good to hear it from others I guess.

I've always received a lot of unwanted comments from co-workers about our Disney trips and the cost of them. It's a pain. The one doctor that I work with easily spends $20,000 twice per year on skiing trips to Vail yet will comment on the cost of my vacations. Another one always loves to throw in that I'm wasting my vacation time by actually going on vacation (that makes zero sense to me!). I've learned to ignore it and not even mention to anyone except my supervisor that I'm going to Disney (and I only mention it to her because she's the one who approves the time).

The one doctor that I work with easily spends $20,000 twice per year on skiing trips to Vail yet will comment on the cost of my vacations.

It's important to accept that there are a lot of people who don't *get* Disney World. Most people view it as something parents feel obligated to *endure* once, for the sake of their kids, and be done (that was me before my first trip). Therefore, they see it as a painful way to spend a big chunk of money.

It is a select minority of adults who have the depth of imagination and type of heart that makes the magical fantasy world of Disney their favorite place to be. You should feel special that you are one of those few.

I'd rather have that than a lead worker that finds out you're going to be gone and immediately finds 30,000 bits of trivial nonsense for me to do that they could do themselves.

Well its about 6 weeks out till our trip and I am starting to dread mentioning it my co-workers. I mean they already have an idea because I have mentioned the needed dates, (for my name on the vacation calendar)

I really don't want to be honest about how much it costs to stay at the AKL. I'm sure they will ask something though.:headache:

Well go and don't worry about it. As others have said already it's your money and what you do with it is your business. I don't get the cost questions as much as I get the "Oh you're going there...again?" comments. I just laugh them off and look forward to my vacation at WDW. Besides, with recent changes they may soon find that they too can afford a trip to the World next year!

If anyone says to me it's expensive, I just say "oh my god, it is!!!!" and that's the end of the conversation.

As an aside, whatever trip we go on, people do inquire about the price. People asked how much a cruise was, how much Dollywood was. I truly just think it's to see if they can swing it.

I would just tell them about all the tips you learned from reading Disboards. The travel agent that many of us use has saved me thousands of dollars. 55% off of rack rate really adds up fast.

It's important to accept that there are a lot of people who don't *get* Disney World. Most people view it as something parents feel obligated to *endure* once, for the sake of their kids, and be done (that was me before my first trip). Therefore, they see it as a painful way to spend a big chunk of money.

Omg, this! I even know people who are smug about not having a desire to go there because it is too "lowbrow" for them. I've never disclosed to them the financials of my trips but I have let them know that a vacation at Disney could easily cost the same as their vacation at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan, or a trip to Europe.

Omg, this! I even know people who are smug about not having a desire to go there because it is too "lowbrow" for them.

The idea that Disney is beneath them somehow does get my goat sometimes. Now as soon as someone starts to go there, and to stop myself from being ridiculously defensive, I simple thank them for not going to WDW, as that will be one less grumpy person I have to navigate around! That usually makes us both chuckle and the conversation ends.

I've answered briefly previously-as it really is nobody's business;
However when I was younger it did bother me at times & others I thought rude thoughts in my head (but really,really wanted to share out loud)

Many moons ago-a colleague (whom I considered a pleasant man) asked how much disney tickets were-I told him; easy enough to find out prices online anyway?!
He immediately descended into one almighty rant -I was rather taken aback & wondered when it would end!
Very short version-him & his family could have a huge vacation for the amount we were paying for tix-never mind flights,accommodation,car hire etc..
They could fly off somewhere AMAZING and still have funds remaining..
I simply replied each to their own (clearly stuck with me though)

Several family members state the infamous:
"you must have plenty money.."
" again?!"
"You could've bought a new house/kitchen/car/extension/bathrooms.."

And you know what-if WE wanted to-we could.
And you know what-we want to go to WDW & so we shall.

I make a decent living, but we also make Disney World vacations a financial priority. We don't blow money on a lot of the crap that many people do.

I currently have three vacations planned. WDW in January (all paid for except food), Las Vegas In April (air and hotel paid). and a cruise to Aruba in Jan '18 (only $500 deposit paid so far). Someone commented to me the other day about how lucky I am (which I am, of course) followed by a sarcastic "It must be nice". Well. yeah, it is nice, but I spend my money differently than you do, and I've been saving for a long time for these trips. The person in question blows every penny she gets as soon as she get it. $200 shoes, clothes, eating out almost every day, etc. She actually asked me if I would take her with us, and I think she was only half joking.

My coworkers are love the earth only buy local types so they view my disney obsession as pretty awful for giving money to an evil corporation. My boss for vacation went to some folk school to learn how to make stain glass, most go camping, and one went to a farm to work on vacation. I am the oddball and get lots of looks for loving disney, and meat, and that I shop at a large grocery store. I am used to the hate LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter