My Mother Would Have Killed Me If I'd Taken Pics of Our Food - 6/5-6/12

lissawynn

I drink Coke with everything.<br><font color="deep
Needless to say there will be no pictures in this dining report. My mother would have killed me if I'd taken out my camera and started snapping pictures of our meals.
This trip included my mom, older sister, my son (6), my daughter (4), and me. We stayed at the Boardwalk in a one bedroom villa and used the regular dining plan. Even though we had a beautiful kitchen, we only used the fridge to keep our drinks cold and freeze bottles of water for the parks. We also had refillable mugs.
We tried some new places and revisited many of our favorites. Since this was my mom's first "real" trip to WDW, everything was new to her. She visited WDW once during Christmas in 1988. She still recounts how we waited almost two hours (the days before Fast Pass) to ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, a ride that lasted less than two minutes.
I will be reviewing what I ate and what I can remember of everyone else's meals. For the most part, the kids ate chicken noodle soup, fruit, pasta with butter and grated cheese, and ice cream. They had no complaints and ate almost everything on their plates.

Sunday, June 5
We arrived at the Boardwalk around 12:30 P.M., and our villa was ready. After getting our bags from bell services, we headed over the bridge to Epcot. We had not eaten anything since our breakfast at the Hampton Inn in Savannah (many hours before), and we were hungry. Epcot was HOT that day, so we stopped in Japan to get the kids a kaki gori. DS got strawberry, and DD got the rainbow. They seemed to enjoy them, but soon they were a sticky, melted mess. Also, their clothes were covered in red syrup. I am still trying to remove the stains from their clothes, but they liked them, and they cooled the kids down. My mom, sister, and I shared a frozen mango drink from the stand by the American pavilion. It was good, but I drank it too quickly and got a lovely brain freeze. Although it wasn't pleasant, it kept us cool.
We stopped at La Cantina de San Angel and shared an order of nachos minus the peppers. We used a CS credit but did not receive a dessert, nor were we asked if we wanted one. The red, black, and white chips were fresh, salty, and crisp. The beef was a little on the greasy side, but I like that when I eat my nachos. They were topped with black beans, cheese sauce, and sour cream. The nachos were good, so good that we went back twice for more. The kids aren't huge fans of ground beef, but they helped make a dent in our order. We had a 5:00 ADR for Cape May Buffet and didn't want to get too full.
We went back to the villa to freshen up, and then walked to the Beach Club for dinner at the Cape May Clam Bake. My sister and I had eaten her before and loved it. We had been looking forward to this for months. We checked in a little before 5:00 and relaxed in the lobby until we were seated. Our table was the half-booth/half-table combo. Our server was very nice, kept our drinks filled, and cleared our dirty plates promptly. This is a huge plus at a buffet. We had a terrible server two years ago at 1900 Park Fare. We literally saw her twice during our entire meal - once when she brought us drinks and once when she gave us our check. We had dishes piled high; not only is that unappetizing, but it leaves you no room to eat.
From the buffet I had the house salad, peel and eat shrimp, clams with drawn butter (although it's not real butter), hand carved flank steak, basil mashed potatoes, yeast rolls and butter, and the pasta with seafood and butter. Everything was delicious. I especially enjoyed the steak and pasta. My sister was disappointed that the cold seafood salad (like a chiveche (sp?)) was no longer on the buffet. The only thing I found to be very off-putting were the people hoarding the crab legs. Now I enjoy crab legs and had an especially delicious crab leg appetizer at Narcoossee last summer, but I am just too lazy to sit and pick out crab meat at a buffet. I do, however, understand the draw for a lot of diners, BUT there is no need to take every crab leg from the buffet. I actually had a girl in front of me tell me that she was taking the last of the crab legs on "our" side of the buffet line, and I should move to the other side. Really? Since when are they *your* crab legs. My sister was also disappointed that it took a considerable amount of time to get the steamed clams refilled. None of us left hungry, and we all enjoyed our meal. I ate several Oreo bon-bons for dessert and found them to be just as good as the last time I had them.
All in all, our first meals were a success, and we enjoyed everything we ate.
Up next - Aunt Donna and the hour wait at the Prime Time Cafe!

thanks for the review...

We did Cape May Buffet in May and I was disappointed in the clams....they were not a regular clam as Mainers know it....but I still ate a few of those...
My husband said the same thing about the people hoarding the crablegs....he didnt want to get messy anyways.....hahaha.

Thanks again for the review on your first day there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter