My End of September Dining Review

MegMouseketeer

Mouseketeer
Hey all! I just got back from a 6 day trip to the world with my family. Overall, it was a great experience! I put a TON of thought into my dining selections, so I thought I would give everyone my take.

Monday, 9/26: We arrived in Orlando at 11am and headed straight to the park after check in. We decided to do Hollywood Studios on this day. We had a big breakfast and a snack on the plane as we were waiting to get off. I had booked us a Fantasmic Dining Package at Mama Melrose at 3:45pm. We were planning on hanging around the Muppet area and Star Wars area until our reservation. Well, when we walked out of Muppets 3D at 2pm, there was a CRAZY intense storm outside. Seriously, strollers were blowing across the sidewalk and trees were leaned over. We had to wait with a huge group under an overhang outside of the Muppet theatre. By the time it slowed, we put on ponchos and headed out, but it was yucky and miserable outside for the rest of the evening. We were feeling pretty gross by the time we got in the restaurant. We all really loved the meal. The calamari and mussels apps were the BEST!! My husband and I got the steak and my mom and sister got some sort of pasta. My girls each got spaghetti and meatballs. We all agreed that while it was not the best meal we ever had, it was really good. The dessert was pretty meh. We got some sort of dessert trio and none of us really cared for anything. Our service was awful. Our waitress was never around and frequently forgot things. When we would ask (for a straw!) it would take over 10 minutes to get anything.

Tuesday, 9/27: We had a PPO reservation at BOG. We had intended to eat and wait in line for Peter Pan. The stupid Disney buses fouled up that plan. We waited from 7:15-7:45 for a Magic Kingdom bus (we were at POR Resort) and nothing showed up. We had to have another bus driver radio someone. By the time we got to the park, it was 8:30am (our reservation had been at 8:10). Sadly to say, we did not finish our meal until 9:10. All the adults had the Feast ala Gaston and my girls had French Toast. It was sub-par. I knew it would be, but we wanted the early reservation. In hindsight, we should have just done Crystal Palace. At least we would have gotten a good meal. For lunch, we ate at Pinocchios Village Haus. It was really good!! My husband had a salad, which he said was cold (in a good way) and fresh. My mom, sister, and girls had flatbreads. They all really loved it. I had a Chicken Parm Sandwich. It was so delicious. The chicken was crispy and really well seasoned. We also got a seat by the overlook for It's a Small World which was really neat. For dinner, we ate at Liberty Tree Tavern. It was soooo delicious! Best mashed potatoes ever!! Everyone was such a fan! Our sweet waiter even brought out candles for the girls cupcakes since they loved seeing the little boy at the table next to us blow his birthday candle out. It was a sweet touch.

Wed, 9/28: Epcot!! We had another PPO meal at Akershus. We made sure to be at the bus stop at 7AM!! We were not going to be late this time! We got there at 7:45! We strolled through an empty Epcot and it was awesome! We loved the breakfast. The food was delicious! Great eggs and the potato casserole was amazing!! It was a little hectic for me since I was on picture and autograph book duty. My first plate ended up getting a little cold, but that was ok. We left at 8:50 and walked into FEA. We made it through the line in 10 minutes!! We had intended to lunch at the Food & Wine Festival, but the heat put a damper on those plans. The heat index on this day was close to 100 degrees. Eating hot food outside just did NOT sound appealing. The only thing I ate was some warm chocolate pudding from the Ireland booth. For dinner, we had a 4:05pm reservation at Garden Grill. I have mixed feelings about this restaurant. The food and the wait service was so great. Also, we had such great character interactions. The all came around at least twice. They were so great with my girls. However, we had to wait 45 minutes for our table. We showed up at 4 and then proceeded to wait. People who had parties larger than us with later reservations (4:20, 4:30..) were being shown to their tables while we waited. I spoke to the hostess several times and they were very rude and dismissive. I actually spoke to a manager once we sat down about it. We had 5pm Fastpasses for Soarin and I did not want to plow through our meal because of their error. He gave us extended Fastpasses and apologized profusely. I would go back, but I think I would speak to a manager much sooner if that happened again.

Thursday, 9/29: Myself, husband, and sister took and "adult" day and went to Universal, so I had no breakfast or lunch plans on Disney property, but we ate at Boatwrights that night. It was our favorite restaurant hands down! Everyone loved their meals. My husband and I shared the gumbo for an appetizer. I had the Prime rib with mashed potatoes and asparagus. My husband had the Pontchartrain Pasta. It was shrimp, corn, and other veggies in an alfredo type pasta. It was light, but full of flavor. My mom had the Voodoo Chicken. It was a breaded chicken with waffle and sauce. If I go back, I will get this for myself. I don't remember what my sister had, but she loved it. We all had banana pudding for dessert. Again, I can't stress enough how good this meal was.

Friday, 9/30: We ate breakfast in our rooms and headed to the park early. We had a lunch reservation at BOG. My husband had the roast beef sandwich and the rest of us adults had the pork. We all really liked it! Lunch was far superior to breakfast. The cupcakes were delicious too! For dinner at the Halloween party, we ate at Caseys. A hot dog is a hot dog I guess. Good and quick, but not memorable.

Saturday, 10/1: We headed to Animal Kingdom for our last park day. We just grabbed Starbucks for breakfast. We had a late lunch at Yak and Yeti table service. I was worried since I had heard mixed reviews, but it was great! 3 of us got Wonton soup instead of dessert. I ordered the Crispy Honey Chicken. It was great! My mom and sister got Chicken Lo Mein and said it was really good. My husband got the whole grilled snapper which was the special. He raved about it. I tried it and it really was delicious! My girls each got a pb&j, yogurt, and grapes. Such a waste of a dining credit, but they are 4. My mom got a pinapple upside down cake for dessert and it was pretty good.

So that about wraps up our meals. We were pretty happy with everything except BOG breakfast. It was so mediocre and we will not be doing that again.

Sounds great. Our family too had nothing but GREAT reviews of Boatwrights on our last trip. It was our favorite meal of the trip.

That storm was intense! Glad you had such a nice trip and in reading your review I"m glad I opted for the lunch at BOG instead of breakfast. I had been torn but we enjoyed our lunch. After reading your review I see we made the right decision.

Thank you for your reviews! Even without pics, it was very descriptive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter