• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Daughter isn't excited

saraschoening

Mouseketeer
We go to DL every year and every year she doesn't want to talk about it, doesn't want to help plan, doesn't want anything to do with the trip. She enjoys herself when we are there but her pool is her fav part. This year we are going to WDW which involves a lot more planning as you all know. I am trying to ask her what she wants to do and she won't answer me and tells me that I talk about our trip too much. She is 9 by the way. I am not sure what to do.. or how to get her to be involved. I have tried the usual, videos, pics, but no reaction. We are planning a trip to Europe after WDW and she wants to talk about that, shes interested in that but not Disney.. I just don't get it. How do you get your kids involved? Could it be that she is just sick of Disney? I am 30 and love Disney more then my 9 year old..

Have you had a frank conversation with her about it as far as if/why she does not want to go?

awe sorry to hear that! i was expecting to read the age of your DD to be a teen, but at 9 i would not expect that. Maybe show her some things that they have here that DL doesn't and all the fun things to do outside the parks like: renting a 'mouse' little speed boat for 2 people, going on a pirate/princess voyage from the GF for kids only, going to the Mad Hatter tea party at GF, going to a proper tea party at GF, going to Disney Quest a 5 story indoor arcade, going horseback riding at WL, going for a carriage ride at WL, renting a surrey bike for the whole family to pedal together, meeting a talking Mickey in MK, the 7 dwarf mine ride, going to a Polynesian Luau at the Poly for dinner, going in a giant hot air balloon at Downtown disney, all of Animal Kingdom DL doesn't have. try that, or put on the travel shows to disney world. hope that helps!

DL and WDW are incredibly different, but have similar things too. Hype up how fun it will be to compare similar rides (HM, Pirates, etc.). I think once you get to WDW, she'll have a great time. There is so much more to see and do than at DL. Maybe purchase a hidden Mickey books, kids guide to WDW, etc. to look at on the plane? My kids love looking for hidden Mickeys and bring that darn book every day to the parks. We've been there 20+times, but keep discovering new things to see and do!

The Agent P scavenger hunt in Epcot and Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (similar thing) are great for that age. Not sure if that have those in DL.

Have you thought about going somewhere else for vacation?

WDW is awfully expensive for someone who doesn't really want to go.

Aww, I'm so sorry...but this will probably be my same post in about 5 years, haha. Where are you staying in wdw? If she loves pools all the resort pools there are so much better than on harbor blvd.!!!

I guess she doesn't have to help, just let her enjoy it while you are there. My two year old told us our trip to Europe was just as fun as Disneyworld, and we dragged him around to boring museums and churches- some kids are just silly!

Maybe she is just sick of Disney vacations and thinks WDW will be the same as DL. You said she is excited about your Europe trip and wants to talk about that so it sounds to me like she just wants to do something different.

Your trip is in a couple weeks, so I'm assuming most of your planning is done anyway, just stop talking about it. She'll enjoy something about it, whether its the pool at the resort, or the different parks.

My son is the same way. He didn't care about Disney when he was 9 either. Of course, I can't blame him....there's not too much there for boys to start with. I approach it with him that I know he isn't too interested in going, but this is what we've chosen to do this time (and he knows the various reasons, and we definitely take trips elsewhere). I tell him that I don't want him to get there and feel like he is left out so if there is anything he would like to do, even if it might not be offered there, to let me know so I can try to accommodate him as well. All he has asked for our next trip is Pirates and Pals Fireworks Adventure, Beaches and Cream, and TRex. I already know the rides he will want to do so I plan those as well. Ultimately you can't force her to help plan.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I am not pressuring her by any means, its not like I am making her sit down and help with touring plans. All I have done is shown her some of the highlights that WDW has to offer. We are staying at POR and they have a pirate adventure.. so I asked her about that, also the Frozen activities. I just don't want her to get there and see something she wants to do and it ends up that we can't get in.. this happened to us at the BBB years ago.. I think that she likes Europe because we are going to Paris and she loves Paris (its the "cool" thing right now.) I just asked her why she doesn't want to talk about the trip and she replied with "I do, but you always ask me when I am thinking about toys and I would rather talk about toys" Oh kids..:)I have gone ahead and booked what I think that she will like and maybe she will start getting more excited closer to the trip. She is excited about staying in the Royal Rooms. I have a type A personality and I tend to over analyze and over plan.. I think that I need to just chill and let it be. Once again thanks for the ideas.. sometimes its just nice to hear from other moms.

Maybe you just talk about it too much. Our trip to DL is in about 2 weeks and although it's still a secret for the kids, I find myself working it in to every conversation I have with my husband! :rotfl2:

Maybe you just talk about it too much. Our trip to DL is in about 2 weeks and although it's still a secret for the kids, I find myself working it in to every conversation I have with my husband! :rotfl2:
Lol - talking about vacation with hubs is the sure way to get him grumbling. I have to stop myself before mentioning anything more then every few days until a week or so before the trip. Then his excitement takes over because the trip is "real."

Perhaps "schedule" a time with her to review what you have already booked and what other options there are so if she wants to do something else you'll possibly have time to make changes.

I love Disney more than my kids, too. I'm feeling you!! Mine also have a great time when we're there, but, they always mention other destinations when we have the vacation discussions.

I have decided to follow their lead on vacations and take them to the Caribbean this year instead of Disney. Last year we took a beach vacation and NYC vacation instead of Disney. I might to without them sometime soon, since it's clear I love it more. It's not like I'm letting them make vacation decisions, per se, but, I am willing to put off Disney until they are more excited about it. It's not breaking my heart to hit up the Caribbean, LOL. The things we think our kids want is often different from what our kids actually want.

Talk up Epcot. It's like a tiny hint of visiting Europe. She can learn to say Hello (or something else) in all the languages so she'll be prepared for your Europe trip. Also plenty of CM's to talk to about their homelands.

Talk up Epcot. It's like a tiny hint of visiting Europe. She can learn to say Hello (or something else) in all the languages so she'll be prepared for your Europe trip. Also plenty of CM's to talk to about their homelands.
This was going to be my suggestion. If she's excited about your trip to Paris, make sure to plan for time in World Showcase. Get her the Epcot Passport that you can get stamped at all the different countries. The CMs at each one will write a short message in their native language as well. At 9, she may feel she is getting too old for princesses, etc. so seek out some of the activities at WDW that don't revolve around characters. If she's interested in animals/conservation at all, Animal Kingdom might interest her as well.

My first thought was to make sure she knows about the World Showcase in Epcot...she can see mini-Paris before the real Paris!!
Or...just go about your plans without her. I mean, that sounds horrible, but if you're still planning to go whether or not SHE wants to, and she doesn't want to talk about it...make like Elsa. "Let it go."
I say that because you know what she likes, right? I'm sure that you're not going to plan anything that she'll hate, so just make your plans your way. You said she doesn't like talking about/planning for DL either, but she still enjoys the trip, so don't worry about it.

The most important thing is...DON'T stress and HAVE FUN ON YOUR VACATION!! Only two weeks left, that's exciting!! :dogdance::dogdance:

We go to DL every year and every year she doesn't want to talk about it, doesn't want to help plan, doesn't want anything to do with the trip. She enjoys herself when we are there but her pool is her fav part. This year we are going to WDW which involves a lot more planning as you all know. I am trying to ask her what she wants to do and she won't answer me and tells me that I talk about our trip too much. She is 9 by the way. I am not sure what to do.. or how to get her to be involved. I have tried the usual, videos, pics, but no reaction. We are planning a trip to Europe after WDW and she wants to talk about that, shes interested in that but not Disney.. I just don't get it. How do you get your kids involved? Could it be that she is just sick of Disney? I am 30 and love Disney more then my 9 year old..

She is 9! I am assuming 3rd-4th grade? This is the age little girls start to become big girls (a.k.a tweens!), and, yes, I know it varies so no need for "My DD/neice/best friends DD/neighbor/grandchild is 9 and still LOVES...." stories. I get it.

However, I am around 9-12 year olds on a daily basis as a Girl Scout leader and cheerleading coach. Even if they secretly still LOVE Anna and Else (like my own almost-11 year old 5th grader), most of them will not admit it in front of anyone. "Princesses are for BABIES" is a rally cry for a lot of 9 year old tweens who are starting to become enchanted by the mystery of padded bathing suit tops at Justice and how to get an Instagram account like their friends much more than the latest Encore showing of Tangled and Frozen. I'm completely *not* surprised that your DD is all about planning a trip to Europe (SOOOO COOL!!!) than boring old baby-WDW "again!" - especially since it sounds like she was never really into it in the first place!

For my kids (DS15, DD11(next month), and DS9 1/2), I plan whatever I want to do, and then, if there is any time/money left, I ask them. They would rather go *anywhere* than sit at home bored, but my kids like adventure - and surprises - so they are all pretty chill on whatever I plan.

Plan this trip, then bond over your European vacation plans. This won't be the last time you will find yourself faking interest in something your DD is all about. Have you had to listen to many Justin Timberlake songs yet, or hear how "OMG mom...his baby is soooo cute...it looks JUST like him!!!!" and have to fake-show interest and enthusiasm? Don't worry....you will!

My kids are 9 and 10, and don't show excitement like they used to. I tend to get a book, pamphlets, etc. about where we're going and leave them around the house, most times they'll look on their own. I also use times where they are a "captive audience" to discuss details, like when we're in the car :idea:

She is 9! I am assuming 3rd-4th grade? This is the age little girls start to become big girls (a.k.a tweens!), and, yes, I know it varies so no need for "My DD/neice/best friends DD/neighbor/grandchild is 9 and still LOVES...." stories. I get it.

However, I am around 9-12 year olds on a daily basis as a Girl Scout leader and cheerleading coach. Even if they secretly still LOVE Anna and Else (like my own almost-11 year old 5th grader), most of them will not admit it in front of anyone. "Princesses are for BABIES" is a rally cry for a lot of 9 year old tweens who are starting to become enchanted by the mystery of padded bathing suit tops at Justice and how to get an Instagram account like their friends much more than the latest Encore showing of Tangled and Frozen. I'm completely *not* surprised that your DD is all about planning a trip to Europe (SOOOO COOL!!!) than boring old baby-WDW "again!" - especially since it sounds like she was never really into it in the first place!

For my kids (DS15, DD11(next month), and DS9 1/2), I plan whatever I want to do, and then, if there is any time/money left, I ask them. They would rather go *anywhere* than sit at home bored, but my kids like adventure - and surprises - so they are all pretty chill on whatever I plan.

Plan this trip, then bond over your European vacation plans. This won't be the last time you will find yourself faking interest in something your DD is all about. Have you had to listen to many Justin Timberlake songs yet, or hear how "OMG mom...his baby is soooo cute...it looks JUST like him!!!!" and have to fake-show interest and enthusiasm? Don't worry....you will!

Oh you made me laugh.. that was a great post... yes 9 going on 18.. as least she is still a little girl at heart.. they really do grow up too fast. Sadly I am the one tormenting her with Justin Timberlake lol.. but I did walk down memory lane the other day.. I showed her a Spice Girls music video.. "Seriously Mom, you ACTUALLY listened to this" yes and saw the movie, and did danced to Wannabe in my middle school talent show. Oh its all coming back to me.

Kuhltiffany - I like the whole car idea.. thats good.. Talk to her while she has no place to run... we did a lot of driving today and actually did have a good long talk about the stuff that she wanted to do and then this morning I told her that we were leaving in 2 weeks (we are leaving early to go to Seattle) she actually started to get excited.

Thanks everyone.. its nice to know that my kid isn't the only one!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter