• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My cruise dropped 2k

Dis_Mom

Earning My Ears
Hubby and i are set to sail in June and we have already made our final payment and the cancellation period has ended. We booked a veranda for about $9k. I just logged into the site today to find its now priced at $7k. Is there anything i can do?

Did you purchase the Disney Trip Insurance? If so, if the pricing made sense mathematically you could cancel your cruise and use the refundable amount and the cruise credit from Disney to rebook and maybe save/recover some of the cost difference.

Otherwise, other than calling and asking for permission (which I doubt they will give), I'm not really sure what recourse you have. Disney often lowers prices when you get close into a sailing to fill the remaining cabins after the PIF window.

Is it a Verandah Guarantee (VGT) offer? Those bookings come with restrictions -- new bookings (cannot be applied to an existing reservation) pay in full at booking, you allow DCL to assign a stateroom in any verandah category, and some limitations on changes allowed. You would need to cancel and rebook the special offer, taking any cancellation penalty. Depending on what category stateroom you booked and how much you really want that room, it may be worth taking the penalty hit to cancel and rebook. But you may lose your dining time and will lose (need to rebook with current availability) any activities you may have already booked (shore excursions, adult dining, etc.).

I suggest you calculate out what the cancellation penalty will be based on how close you are to the sail date, just so you know the figures before they tell you. Things like travel insurance will not be reimbursed.

I just called Disney they all but told me to kick rocks. It would be over $4 in penalties to cancel and rebook. We do have insurance but I would have to have a medical reason to cancel I can’t just say Disney screwed us all

This can happen on any cruise line - once final payment date passes, or even sometimes before, prices drop or room guarantee options open up and prices seem lower. There's not much you can do about it on any cruise line, unless there is some sort of price protection, which I don't think DCL offers. All you can really do is to reassure yourself that you were happy at the original price point.

Happened on our January cruise. I paid $5000 each for 2 verandah cabins. The cruise went VGT for around $3300 per cabin. It just happens sometimes.

Last edited:
The problem is: if you want a specific cruise, there is no guarantee that any discounts will be offered, so paying more is the price for being able to pick your specific cruise and your stateroom. If you are flexible - to the point that you would be ok not to cruise - then it makes sense to wait and see if a discounted rate becomes available. But you might miss out on a specific room category, bookings for specialty dining, main dining and even the cruise itself if no discount is ever offered and the price for booking without a discount has gone up a lot since when you could have booked for full price.

I just called Disney they all but told me to kick rocks. It would be over $4 in penalties to cancel and rebook. We do have insurance but I would have to have a medical reason to cancel I can’t just say Disney screwed us all
They didn’t screw you, are you new to cruising? Many times after final payment, cruise lines have fire sales to unload unbooked cabins. These cabins are usually the least desirable. If cabins have been selling well, remaining cabins will go up in price. If you cabin now cost $10,000, would you be happy to pay extra?

They didn’t screw you, are you new to cruising? Many times after final payment, cruise lines have fire sales to unload unbooked cabins. These cabins are usually the least desirable. If cabins have been selling well, remaining cabins will go up in price. If you cabin now cost $10,000, would you be happy to pay extra?
True it's standard practice to not get price adjustments after final payment date. It would be disastrous for the cruise lines if they had to match every last minute price drop they use to fill the ships. Some lines will give you small courtesy onboard credit, but not DCL.

The shady thing (to me) is the way they keep pushing the final payment date further and further out.

is this becoming a summer pattern? if so it may indicate disney has overpriced summer itineraries - including summer 2025....
This exactly. Disney is way overpricing and then just offering these restricted guarantee rates to try and fill the ship. There are a bunch of wish sailings and European itineraries this summer that have guarantee rates. I’d expect next summer to have the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter