• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My California Grill experience

First off, thank you to the OP for taking the time to post a review. Second, I'm guessing you didn't mean to come across as condescending but you did. A nicer way to say it and still get your point across would be "thanks for the lengthy and thoughtful review, next time it would be super helpful if there were paragraphs".
ok dad...I will try not to have a personality next time I call out the obvious

Disappointing but not surprised. The menu at CA Grill was never my favorite, and I think you get better food elsewhere for the same money. The prix fixe has probably made that problem worse.

Thank you, I feel better about skipping CA Grill in December now. I loved their Sunday Brunch, not a fan of the Prix Fixe menu.

It's nice to see the souffle is back... though disappointing it wasn't executed very well. For years, the souffle was something we always ordered when at the CG... and then several years back it disappeared from the menu.

We dined there last night. It was as good as ever. Our ADR was slightly after 7 so we could watch the fireworks. The restaurant was about 3/4 full. About 30 minutes after the fireworks were over, it was full.
We each had one of the sushi choices, both were excellent. Second course was the filet and the grouper. Both were very good. And finished with the soufflé. It was very good, but could have used a sauce with it. Adding the ice cream was a good choice. We also did the wine pairing. For each course, there was a different wine paired with each choice. Also very well done. While I have read different reports, we were very happy with our meal. It was very similar to what we would have ordered and the total cost also was about the same. Plan to return in the spring.

We dined there last night. It was as good as ever. Our ADR was slightly after 7 so we could watch the fireworks. The restaurant was about 3/4 full. About 30 minutes after the fireworks were over, it was full.
We each had one of the sushi choices, both were excellent. Second course was the filet and the grouper. Both were very good. And finished with the soufflé. It was very good, but could have used a sauce with it. Adding the ice cream was a good choice. We also did the wine pairing. For each course, there was a different wine paired with each choice. Also very well done. While I have read different reports, we were very happy with our meal. It was very similar to what we would have ordered and the total cost also was about the same. Plan to return in the spring.
Good to hear the attention to details is still happening. I prefer my dessert soufflés “plain“ but the man always wanted his with a side. DGD just wants chocolate no matter how it’s presented, LOL.

First off, thank you to the OP for taking the time to post a review. Second, I'm guessing you didn't mean to come across as condescending but you did. A nicer way to say it and still get your point across would be "thanks for the lengthy and thoughtful review, next time it would be super helpful if there were paragraphs".
Orrrrrr perhaps if one doesn't fancy the spelling, grammar, and structure of a post he doesn't have to read it ........ its a message board not an English/Comp class.

We just ate at CG this past Monday. Our experience was great! Reservation was 6:05 and they took us in at 5:45. We were walked to the Monterey room when the host realized that we were not supposed to get a table in that room. Seeing how loud it was in the the main room and the blinds were down due to the sun, I asked to be seated in the Monterey room. After walking to the front desk, she made the changes for us. The Monterey room has only 5 tables. The views were of the lake in the back, beach, a dock and part of the Wilderness Lodge?

Our server (I believe his name was Ryan) was the best we had during our stay. Super friendly and knowledgeable. I think this is partly due to the fact that he was there since the first chef was there when the it was named, "The Top of the World." There were 4 of us...my two DDs were counted as adults even though the oldest is in high school. My DW had a couple blueberry martinis which she enjoyed. I almost ordered a glass of wine before I saw you could get a wine paring for $39 (3 oz pouring with each part of the meal). Appetizers we got were, the bisque, sushi trio, cascade roll and wontons. We are the type of family that usually tastes each others food. All were good with my wontons being the best dish to me. My wine pairing was a glass of Silver Oak Cab (which I was totally excited to get knowing the price per bottle).

Main course was oak fired beef, black grouper, mushroom ravioli and pork tenderloin. All tasted good and cooked perfectly with nothing left on the plate. My course which was the pork tenderloin and what the waiter recommended, was again the best dish to me. It was paired well with the Prisoner wine I was provided.

For deserts, we chose the magical bites, the torte and 2 soufflés. The magical bites are actually signature deserts that were created by chefs throughout the years since it opened as the Top of the World. Since our waiter was there from the first chef, he pointed to every bite on that plate and named the chef that created it. Our waiter actually let me chose one of the 3 wines that paired with our 3 different deserts. I chose Royal Tokaji which I thought matched with the magical bites the best.

All in all, this was our most expensive meal going over $500 with tip and drinks (no discounts for us). I thought it was our best meal and experience out of all the restaurants we went to. Other restaurants we went to on this trip include the Brown Derby, Chef de France, Via Napoli, Bluezoo and Morimotos. The waiter was able to get us out in time for the 8pm fireworks. Total service time about 2 hours. He recommended the closest observation deck to that room as the best view.

Perhaps the waiter made this experience totally worth it. He was so knowledgeable and took the time to converse with us. He entertained us with his knowledge of prior and current chefs...and was could answer questions we had on the views we could see from our table. Other servers we had almost seemed like a blank slate and were there just to bring food and get us on our way.

My rank of restaurants from best to worst on this trip:
California Grill
Bluezoo (tied for second)
Morimotos (tied for second)
Brown Derby
Via Napoli
Chef de France (the only restaurant I would not go to on another visit to DW)
Ryan is out favorite server at CG.

When have a 9:45 reservation in a couple weeks. Planning to change it to earlier if I can or show up early and hope to get in. Really want to be there to view the fireworks. This review makes me even more nervous that there will be limited options for my wife who has celiacs and can’t eat gluten. If they are that stingy about substitutions is she going to be stuck with limited choices for the ungodly price? I don’t know, I might ditch this altogether.

When have a 9:45 reservation in a couple weeks. Planning to change it to earlier if I can or show up early and hope to get in. Really want to be there to view the fireworks. This review makes me even more nervous that there will be limited options for my wife who has celiacs and can’t eat gluten. If they are that stingy about substitutions is she going to be stuck with limited choices for the ungodly price? I don’t know, I might ditch this altogether.
I'm not as big a fan of viewing the fireworks from CG as some on here are ..... it was nice to have a different vantage point I guess and kind of cool to see from where they are actually set off but the effect of the show is much better feel from Main Street imo .... did it once wouldn't really care to do it again.

I'm not as big a fan of viewing the fireworks from CG as some on here are ..... it was nice to have a different vantage point I guess and kind of cool to see from where they are actually set off but the effect of the show is much better feel from Main Street imo .... did it once wouldn't really care to do it again.
Pretty much one and done for me as well. I go there for the food and atmosphere and love sitting in the small room in the back. Watching the ferries and monorail from that height, coming back and forth, looks like the trainscape @ Germany in Epcot, LOL.

Talking to a manager about a side dish seems a little extreme, but otherwise I appreciate the detailed write up. We have a December reservation in hopes they move away from prix fixe, but will cancel if they don’t. Part of the fun of California grill is mixing and matching the apps and sushi and flatbreads. Their entrees have always been a weak point.

Yeah, this just confirms for me I'm going to skip this place until either the menu changes options or it just isn't prix fixe anymore. Sad since we loved going pre change.

Thanks for the review.
Same. I've never been overjoyed by the food but it was better than average. With the price fixe & no substitutions now, nope, nope nope.

This is a real downgrade. A set menu like this is not "fine/signature dining" in my book. We like to order a range of appetizers, sides etc. This type of thing cheapens the experience and makes it seem like cafeteria/banqueting as opposed to fine dining. I will be giving it a miss.

Yeah, Le Cellier was just as unaccommodating recently and it's not prix-fixe. Not willing to swap sides, couldn't pay for the side on its own as a separate side dish.

We're paying too much for these pre-assembled plates. Seriously. Let us pay for what we want.

If the mac & cheese pairs with the tomahawk, then it's a serving for two. Maybe that's why it could not be substituted.

We are planning to order the tomahawk for two, anyone had it yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter