My brother refuses to "slum it at Disney"

I don't think you can stay at ANY Disney resort and "slum it". I think all of their resorts...value, moderate, or deluxe, are all extremely nice. As far as cost is concerned, none of them are cheap. I personally like the moderates better than the deluxes.

I better tell my husband and hide his face as we are walking toward the "B" bus stops this August!!

I don't think you can stay at ANY Disney resort and "slum it". I think all of their resorts...value, moderate, or deluxe, are all extremely nice. As far as cost is concerned, none of them are cheap. I personally like the moderates better than the deluxes.

IMO- anybody that can afford a DW vacation, particularly at onsite prices, is not 'slumming it' anywhere. This is not to say that DW can't be affordable-I've debated with others about how affordable DW really is, but let's face it... It's rare for many families below middle class to ever afford such a wonderful vacation, even at the values. 10's of 1000's of kids, some of them even in my family have never been to DW, and never will b/c their parents, though middle class, simply can't afford the luxury.

First, let me unequivocally state that I see nothing wrong with anyone staying anywhere on WDW property. We all have different finances, priorities, preferences, likes & dislikes, and accordingly make different choices on how to spend a vacation and our money.

That being said, I'm one of those who has been tempted many times to stay at a value resort at WDW, in order to save $ and/or apply the $ to other fun things at the mouse, but I've never been able to "pull the trigger." I've even booked trips involving the values a number of times, from a quick get-a-way with DW to longer stays with the DDs....but no matter what my intentions are to start, I always find myself talking myself into "upgrading" in order to stay at the deluxes...I can't help it - I'm addicted to monorail travel! :lmao:

Yes, it even took some doing for me to stay at AKL, b/c I didn't want to give up the monorail.....I am victim of growing up here in FL, where I still think of the GF, Poly & Contemporary as the only real deluxes, with AKL being the Johnny-come-lately.....I still question the classification of any of the Epcot area resorts as deluxe, and have my doubts about the whole deluxe villas concept (even though I've stayed at those too, and even stayed at resorts that no longer exist at WDW anymore....Treehouse Villas, the Education Institute (I'm blanking on the real name of where those studios/villas were called at the moment, but hey, I'm sure you know where I'm talking about)...

I would love to save money and/or go on more trips to WDW by staying at a value, but every time I get close to doing it, I start thinking about spending all that time on a bus, or having to drive to the park from the hotel, and reports that I've read on here about the noise levels, thin walls, bed bugs, etc., and that makes me go....if I'm already spending $....what's really the harm in the extra $$.....come on...it's like Disney crack....you know you want it....you can afford it....so what if you spend a little more...you're building memories, right? and as those mastercard commercials go, they're priceless right?....and so on, and so on, and so on....until I'm exactly the person that WDW markets those perks to....

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm just as secretly snideful and judgmental about those who choose to stay concierge level/club level on every stay, and I'm terrified of trying it in case I get hooked on that as well (I want my turndown service and towel animals, people! :furious: ) but unless I finally talk myself into doing the super-special-AKL concierge only-safaris, I doubt I'll do it - although I currently have one booked for August....

So go ahead, please :worship: dispell my rumors and misbeliefs about the values and help me save my money to blow on dinners around the parks (and afford my DW's newfound addiction to V&A's wagyu kobe in lieu of her prior love of turkey legs).....:listen: tell me that I'm wrong and that the walls of the values are not paper thin, that I won't feel like I'm walking from the back of the TTC lot up to maingate evertime I want to go get a coke or take a dip in the pool, assure me that if I pick up the phone that housekeeping will be there likety split to fix whatever ridiculous problem is affecting my bliss.....promise me that the bed will be comfy & safe, with no bugs infesting my hair or springs/bars poking me in the back....disprove the whispers from my DW that the bathrooms are all wetrooms with no separate shower area, just a big drain hole in the floor, and I will try again to see if I can actually book a trip and keep it the way I planned from the get go, without feeling the need to surprise DW or the DDs with an upgraded time......:faint:

Ok, and on that I'm going to take a breath.....relax....think about Castaway Cay, Dolewhips, Boma soups, mickey bars and my oh-so-delicious-chocolate covered ear mickey mouse rice crispy treats, and await to hear if I'm wrong/right about my fears and insanities that keep me giving the mouse more of my money just for a place to lay my head....

The bathroom has a regular tub, and a regular toilet. Outside is the sink- which makes a huge difference getting ready IMO. Looking at pics of the moderate resorts, I can't say it was much different than that- bathroom wise.

Also, having stayed at AKL- the rooms are so underwhelming IMO for the price. The tubs don't seem that much different from the values- in fact, I think they might even be the same! Same depth, no jets, not any larger. The sink area, sure, it's marble, but aside from that- seemed to me to be the same amount of space counter wise as the values.

Most of the value resorts have been updated, and I mean ALL furniture updated...the beds are comfy!

Our walk couldn't have been more than 5 minutes from our actual room to the main food area/bus pick up area.

We never waited for more than 10 minutes for a bus. We almost always got a seat too- both directions.

We never heard our neighbors, in fact we laughed at how we had 'the floor to ourselves' at Music. On our last day I realized that a family with toddlers had been next to us the entire time. Never knew it!

Our pools at the allstars were never as crowded as AKL either. AKL was a ZOO! Literally! LOL! It seems that b/c the allstars have lots of pools you can use, none of them seemed crowded. They also seemed less loud too. Lots of space to read quietly. At AKL, I found lots of kids hanging by the slide, yelling and jumping and such.

First, let me unequivocally state that I see nothing wrong with anyone staying anywhere on WDW property. We all have different finances, priorities, preferences, likes & dislikes, and accordingly make different choices on how to spend a vacation and our money.

That being said, I'm one of those who has been tempted many I'm addicted to monorail travel! :lmao:

Yes, it even took some doing for me to stay at AKL, b/c I didn't want to give up the monorail.....I am victim of growing up here in FL, where I still think of the GF, Poly & Contemporary as the only real deluxes, with AKL being the Johnny-come-lately.....I still question the classification of any of the Epcot area resorts as deluxe, and have my doubts about the whole deluxe villas concept (even though I've stayed at those too, and even stayed at resorts that no longer exist at WDW anymore....Treehouse Villas, the Education Institute (I'm blanking on the real name of where those studios/villas were called at the moment, but hey, I'm sure you know where I'm talking about)...

I would love to save money and/or go on more trips to WDW by staying at a value, but every time I get close to doing it, I start thinking about spending all that time on a bus, or having to drive to the park from the hotel, and reports that I've read on here about the noise levels, thin walls, bed bugs, etc., and that makes me go....if I'm already spending $....what's really the harm in the extra $$.....come on...it's like Disney crack....you know you want it....you can afford it....so what if you spend a little more...you're building memories, right? and as those mastercard commercials go, they're priceless right?....and so on, and so on, and so on....until I'm exactly the person that WDW markets those perks to....

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm just as secretly snideful and judgmental about those who choose to stay concierge level/club level on every stay, and I'm terrified of trying it in case I get hooked on that as well (I want my turndown service and towel animals, people! :furious: ) but unless I finally talk myself into doing the super-special-AKL concierge only-safaris, I doubt I'll do it - although I currently have one booked for August....

So go ahead, please :worship: dispell my rumors and misbeliefs about the values and help me save my money to blow on dinners around the parks (and afford my DW's newfound addiction to V&A's wagyu kobe in lieu of her prior love of turkey legs).....:listen: tell me that I'm wrong and that the walls of the values are not paper thin, that I won't feel like I'm walking from the back of the TTC lot up to maingate evertime I want to go get a coke or take a dip in the pool, assure me that if I pick up the phone that housekeeping will be there likety split to fix whatever ridiculous problem is affecting my bliss.....promise me that the bed will be comfy & safe, with no bugs infesting my hair or springs/bars poking me in the back....disprove the whispers from my DW that the bathrooms are all wetrooms with no separate shower area, just a big drain hole in the floor, and I will try again to see if I can actually book a trip and keep it the way I planned from the get go, without feeling the need to surprise DW or the DDs with an upgraded time......:faint:

Ok, and on that I'm going to take a breath.....relax....think about Castaway Cay, Dolewhips, Boma soups, mickey bars and my oh-so-delicious-chocolate covered ear mickey mouse rice crispy treats, and await to hear if I'm wrong/right about my fears and insanities that keep me giving the mouse more of my money just for a place to lay my head....

Oh my!! WDW MARKETING sure did get to you.
I do not agree with your ideas of what the values are like.
I have stayed at 4 and 5 star hotels. I have stayed in a CR tower room with a view of the MK but I have to say I really enjoy All Star Music and choose to stay more often than not.

The walls are not any thinner at the values than the deluxes. All Srar Music was just renovated. They have new furniture and the same brand of pillowtop mattresses that the monorail resorts have.

I think your mind is made up so there is no swaying.

Just please except the fact that some of us really enjoy staying at a value resort. And it isn't always just about saving money.

We have a very high income with a lot of disposible cash, and no debts, house and cars paid off CC debt is paid off each month,etc but I enjoy staying at All Star Music.

Here are a few of my reasons:

1. I can book a preferred room location..( The Calypso buildings are preferred and they are the closest to the main pool ,food court and bus stop. They cost an $10 extra a night and in my opinion they are well worth it.)
The way All Star Music is laid out it "seems" smaller than most of the other Disney resorts. If I stay in a preferred building I only see the Calypso and Jazz builings on the way to and from the main pool and the bus stop and food court. Since I stay in preferred room I know I am going to be close to the food court, bus stop, & main pool.

2. I enjoy the theming at the All Stars. All Star Music is also is the quietest of the values. Generally less people stay there and there are more seniors and couples and less young children because children enjoy the themes of the other values more.

3. The bus service at the All Star Music is very good. Since I use an EVC good bus transportation is essential.

4. The entry at the values and Mods are much more Handicap times to stay at a value resort at WDW, in order to save $ and/or apply the $ to other fun things at the mouse, but I've never been able to "pull the trigger." I've even booked trips involving the values a number of times, from a quick get-a-way with DW to longer stays with the DDs....but no matter what my intentions are to start, I always find myself talking myself into "upgrading" in order to stay at the deluxes...I can't help it -friendly.
The entry is angled with extra room to get my EVC in and out.
The doorway at the deluxe resorts is in a long hall with bath on one side and closet in the other.
I cannot open the door at the deluxe resort while still seated in my EVC.
I am able to get in and out of my All Star room unassisted. This way my husband can go and play a round of golf and know I can leave my room to relax by the pool if I choose.

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay! : wizard:

BROTHERS. Ya gotta love 'em. The first time my brother and his family went
to WDW was by default. They planned a "budget" trip staying offsite to save
$$$. I get a call from him and he's desperate. My Dsil is in a heap in the corner weeping because the hotel is so AWFUL. I told him to call the 800 number immediately and book whatever was available and to shut up and open his wallet and surrender.

I was your brother in 1998, trying to convince my wife (at the time) that the off-site hotel was fine.:rotfl2:

She refused to get out of the car. :confused3

I called Disney from a phonebooth (no cell phones then) got a woods-view room at WL and have never looked back.:woohoo:

Deluxe all the way since then AKL in 2001, CR in 2004 and WL this August...especially with the new wife...she deserves it.:lovestruc

CEE and REDC
Now...if this was a debate of offsite vs. onsite....onsite all the way! You can't sway me on that one- not even with a 4 bedroom house with a private pool! Onsite all the way! :)

I may change my mind as our family gets larger, but I doubt it. There is nothing like being on DW property for the entire trip! I love it!

I "prefer" the deluxe resort of AKL... but I have no problem at all staying at Pop. It's a fantastic value.

As for the so-called "subtle distinctions," it's simply a matter of providing a higher level of service/convenience to those who pay the most. People staying in deluxe rooms are paying 7-10 times more per room than someone staying at a Value, it's just a practical matter of providing perks to those willing to pay extra for them... just like it can be a reasonable practical decision to pay less to have fewer perks.

You pay from $700.00 to $1,000.00 a night for a hotel room?:scared1:

You pay from $700.00 to $1,000.00 a night for a hotel room?:scared1:

I think the general upcost is perhaps 3 to 4 times the value amount. We have paid upwards of 500 a night for rooms before but never at DW. We just don't view DW as a 'relaxing upscale' vacation spot. We will always do DW commando.

We have done Hawaii, Mexico, even New England for very pricey/high end trips. I just don't think that DW deluxe resorts come close to the likes of the high end resorts at other places around the world so I won't pay those prices.

I think the general upcost is perhaps 3 to 4 times the value amount. We have paid upwards of 500 a night for rooms before but never at DW. We just don't view DW as a 'relaxing upscale' vacation spot. We will always do DW commando.

We have done Hawaii, Mexico, even New England for very pricey/high end trips. I just don't think that DW deluxe resorts come close to the likes of the high end resorts at other places around the world so I won't pay those prices.

I won't pay it either. We loved Pop Century the first time we went there and we will probably never stay anywhere else because all the pictures I have seen of the other resorts just don't give me that Disney feeling that Pop does.:goodvibes

I've got two trips planned. October, at Pop Century and January at AKL. I could do several budget trips for the cost of one luxury trip. But Wonderful Husband can't take the days off work, so several budget trips won't happen. Might as well spend the vacation money on a nice trip that we can take, as try to plan budget trips that we can't go on. Possibly I'll squeeze a weekend getaway into March or April, but that's not certain.

Wonderful Husband just doesn't care where he stays as long as there's a decent mattress and I'm happy. He's wonderful like that... I want the safaris. I'm loving the IPO support. But otherwise, I am capable of planning a great trip, no matter where we stay.

wow ::rotfl2:
have we all forgot we all are the same no matter were we stay at. Let me remind every one it only a room to put your head down at night and a place we all go to take a break to go swimming to beat the fl sun . as for slum it who are we to judge ::cop: it all come down to the all mighty dollar and how much we fell is worth to stay at any resort hotel room

Let not forget the magic is in every Disney resort .

Tony NY

I'd never feel embarrassed to stay anywhere on property. Disney is Disney...but you are getting SOMETHING for your money at WDW.

I think most disney nuts make an effort to stay at a variety of resort levels eventually, unless they are in love with one particular resort. I ENJOY the idea of seeing all the resorts.

As Minnie and others have said, she could easily afford to stay somewhere else and HAS done so- she chooses to stay at ASMu because that's the resort she likes best. Plenty of other folks on the DIS are equally in love with WL, CSR, POR, and Pop. EVery resort has something unique and appealing to offer.

Having said all that, Disney sells GF as their 'flagship' resort. When you stay there you know you are staying at the best. (arguably some rooms at Poly and many rooms at CR are on the same level.) Whether the cost (or title) is justified is another matter.

Incidentally, GF's theming is not my favorite either...The view of the castle though, priceless! (he he...bad pun...couldn't resist :duck: :duck: :laughing:

If your brother doesn't want to "slum it" he can always stay in a deluxe resort on his own. I don't know how old he is but if he's willing to pay for his own accommodations, he can do that. If he's younger and "stuck" on a family trip, tell him what my mother always told us when we complained about what was for dinner. "There's your bike, McDonald's is up the street."

Your mother was nicer than mine! She always said if I didn't like what was served, I obvously wasn't hungry and didn't need to eat that meal! *eek*

Loved her anyway! *LOL*

It all depends on what you do at Disney. My mom and I got back recently from ASMu and hardly spent time in the room. The room was clean and quiet. More or less all we needed/wanted was a place to sleep and shower. I can't imagine paying deluxe prices for that! If you plan to spend more time in the room or even at the hotel then deluxe might be worth it.

For people on a budget (like me) it comes down to more days at a cheaper resort or less days at a nicer one. Personally, I am spending the money for the parks not the resort so its not a hard question.

I have the opposite problem...I have a hard time justifying spending more money on the Deluxe accomodations. I usually stay at Carribean Beach for the atmosphere, but got a great deal on Pop Century in January. I loved it! It is not nescessarily suitable for all occasions (we wouldn't nescessarily go there for our Honeymoon) but the food court had better food than the moderates and we had no problems with noise. The price couldn't be beat. With our AP discount we paid less than you would for a Motel 6 and we were on Disney property with great bus service. We are talking about Deluxe accomodations for our Honeymoon, but I am having a hard time justifying the expense. We have the money, but why spend it when the moderates and values are nice, and are far more reasonable.

Linda - I'm so glad to hear your positive review of All Star Music! We'll be "slumming it" in the family suites there in January and I can't wait. We really want a suite so that we can put our son to bed and have the bedroom to ourselves at night to watch TV or read. I am actually really impressed by the value of the suites at ASMu, they look lovely and quite large.

Linda - I'm so glad to hear your positive review of All Star Music! We'll be "slumming it" in the family suites there in January and I can't wait. We really want a suite so that we can put our son to bed and have the bedroom to ourselves at night to watch TV or read. I am actually really impressed by the value of the suites at ASMu, they look lovely and quite large.

Have you read my review of the Family Suites?
I am a mother of 4 grown children and I wish WDW had the Family Suites when my chidren were young. ( pre DVC and pre Mods or values in the 70's and 80's) We needed to stay in the FW cabin or 2 rooms when my children were younger since we were a family of 6 .I wrote WDW several letters a year over about a 15 year span asking for more affordable options for larger family When I first read that the Family Suites were coming to All Star Music it just made me so excited!

Here is the link to my FAQ about The family Suites at All Star Music.
My review with some Photos is on page 11. Another DIS'ner posted lots more photos on page 24 of the thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

I hope your family enjoys the Family Suites as much as we did!
Have fun at WDW! :wizard:

I did read your review thread, and I sent it on to my parents and they are thinking about booking a suite too. I'm really excited about the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter