• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Big Fat Disney Solo Weekend: April 2015 Trip Report - COMPLETED

DAY 1
April 24th, 2015 - Friday

Travel/Dinner at Boma

On Friday, the day of my departure, the plan had been to sleep until about Noon (which is normally NO problem for me), then my Mom would be picking me up at 1:30pm to take me to pick-up my rental car. My own car is a piece of junk that I only trust around town, and not even that sometimes. (I'm actually only doing one short trip to Disney in 2016, because I need to save up money to replace it.)

However, Murphy's Law... My eyes just POPPED open at 9:30am, and refused to close again.

post-38191-Anna-go-back-to-sleep-gif-Disn-j6gO.gif

So I got up, packed my last minute things, goofed around on Facebook, goofed around on the DisBoards, checked my bags again, laid down to try to go back to sleep, got back up, checked my bags again, put on pants, got back on the DisBoards... You know the drill. I was super antsy! But also super ready to gooooooo!

My bags were all packed!

20150424_104411-1.jpg

No thanks to this guy, who tried to "help" on the night I was pulling out all my suitcases and bags and trying to decide which ones to take...

20150413_222730-1.jpg

Made sure that I had my MagicBand for this trip, all packed and ready to go!

20150331_182119-1.jpg

Killing time until it was time to go was killing ME! But finally after what seemed like FOR-EH-VER, my Mama knocked on my apartment door, and ushered me off to pick up my car. Hooray, let's get this show on the road!

But... as is usual for my local Enterprise branch... we get there, only to find out that they didn't have a car for me. Again. Those of you who read my last TR might remember that this happened to me back in September, too.

g52Y39pUaT21i.gif

So we got there at 1:45pm for my 2:00pm reservation for a Compact car... and I was finally on the road just after 2:30pm. Not quite as bad as last year, which took over an hour for them to resolve. And despite it putting me behind schedule, THIS one sweet thing did happen again...

20150424_143617.jpg

Upgraded! This time to a Full Size car, since it was the first car that became available! Hello, Toyota Camry! I love you! :lovestruc

20150424_153637.jpg

She was niiiiiiiiiiiice. Drove like a dream, too! :cloud9:

So finally, I was on the road and headed down I-95 South! For those new to my TRs, I am lucky enough to live only about a 5-hour drive from Orlando. Believe it or not, sometimes I'm really envious of ya'll that fly down. Especially as a solo traveler, I would much rather just kick back and read a book and let somebody else get me there!

But alas, my closest airport, Savannah GA, doesn't offer any non-stop flights to Orlando. So by the time I would drive the 45 minutes to Savannah, be at the airport 1-2 hours early to check-in and clear security, fly up to Charlotte or Atlanta, catch a connecting flight back down to Orlando, and then catch DME to my resort... I could have just driven in the same amount of time or less, and for a whole lot less money. So. Until an airline begins offering affordable direct flights from SAV to MCO... Then road trips it is for this girl!

route.png

Along the way, just a few minutes north of Savannah, I stopped for my favorite road food: Krystal! Yum! Little bitty mini greaseball cheeseburgers may be bad for my heart, but are so very good for my soul!

krystal2.jpg

Om nom nom, road food goodness!

Also, my mom made a batch of Rice Krispy treats for me to take with me. (Did I mention she's kind of the best?) I was nibbling on those during the drive, too:

ricekrispy.jpg

Yeah. Totally took a photo of me eating one while going down the interstate. BEST. DRIVER. EVER. :rolleyes:

So things continued on just peachy for a couple hours. I stopped just north of Jacksonville for a gas top-off and to pee and stretch my legs, business as usual.

And then... Jacksonville.

20150424_175158-1.jpg

Now, let's talk about this photo for a moment. As you can see, I am at a full and complete stop to take this photo. Also, let's talk about that line of cars in my side mirror. Or how about this line of cars ahead of me...

20150424_175106-1.jpg

So needless to say, this made me an unhappy Billie. >:(

It was backed up for miles. I probably sat in this traffic for a good 45 minutes. So, combined with the Enterprise issue, now I was an hour and 15 minutes behind schedule. But being the good little planner that I am, I had made my dinner ADR for a later seating that night (9:00pm), just in case this happened. I did the math in my head, and so as long as I didn't hit any problems on I-4, I'd still make it in plenty of time.

...Uh huh. :scared:

Two hours later, I'm sitting at a stand-still in Orlando for an HOUR. This was pretty much me:

dcoSky6VYYhmE.gif

And this:

Aweknk6OgrJIY.gif

And maybe a little bit of this:

57coyMySySuuk.gif

I called Disney Dining, and let them know what was going on. They put me on hold to call the restaurant, who assured them that as long as I made it by 9:30pm, they would still seat me. Whew. Well, it'll be close, but at least there's hope...

I finally got through the grid lock, and was moving again. When I finally passed under that archway for Walt Disney World, finally a sense of peace settled over me, and I knew that somehow it would be all right.

AcfcFH8ix0qOI.gif

I drove and drove and drove, finally reaching my dinner destination. It was 9:20pm at this point, and I just knew that by the time I parked the car and walked up to the resort and then the restaurant, I might be shut out. So I sprung for the valet parking, quickly handed my keys over to the attendant, and made my way inside. Thankfully this was one I'm very familiar with, so I headed right to the check-in podium.

Oh right, where was I headed in such a hurry? Why, to kick off my quick & dirty Disney vacation right here:

20150424_212732.jpg

Boma!!! I was seated relatively quickly, and I had a LOVELY server named Stacey who was just wonderful, and really went out of her way to make sure I didn't feel rushed. I also decided that I deserved a cocktail after the stress of the last couple hours...

20150424_214820-1.jpg

African Rum Runner. Deeeeelicious!

And then the noms...

20150424_214722-1.jpg

20150424_221239-1.jpg

For a complete and detailed review of my Boma experience, with more photos, feel free to check out my Dining Report for this trip by clicking HERE!

I was considering a second round of deserts, but then I looked around the restaurant and realized I was the very last customer. I didn't want to be "that person" holding all the CMs up, so I took it as a sign that it was time to go. I settled the check, then wandered on over to one of my favorite resort gift shops...

20150424_223011-1.jpg

They just have the coolest stuff here! I have a friend from high school, Amanda, who has always had a thing for rhinos. So I took a photo of these guys for her:

20150424_223146-1.jpg

Too cute!!! :cutie:

I wandered a bit, and decided to buy me a new set of classic Minnie Ears. I love how they are making them now with the red bow all puffy. So I got those, then headed out to the lobby to chill out for a few minutes, upload some pics to Facebook, and snapped this shot...

20150424_224407-1.jpg

It was getting late and I knew I had a super early day the next morning, so I headed for the Valet Desk and had my car brought back around. Then it was off to Kissimmee!

As much as I would have liked to stay in a Disney resort this first night, it saved me a TON of money to just get a cheap bed through a hook-up at work, then check into my Disney hotel early the next morning. So I headed over to the Magnuson Grand Maingate West, just 2 miles from Animal Kingdom Lodge, and bedded down for the night.

20150424_234032-1.jpg

Up Next... Check-in at Port Orleans French Quarter, and Arrival at Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
Oh I wouldn't miss this!!! I'm SOOO excited to hear all about it!!! :goodvibes :woohoo:
Yaaaay! Hi, Tracy! :hug:

Watching this one, too!!! Can't wait to read about it :)
Hooray! So glad you're HERE, too! :hug:

I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!!! Can't wait to read all the details!! :flower1::yay:
Yaaaay! Details forthcoming! :hug:

I'm here! Can't wait to read about he trip so happy you had good weather (at least no rain)
Hi, Lauren! :hug: The weather turned out just fine! I was pleased! :goodvibes

I'm here! I can't wait to read all about the awesome trip!
Yay, hi Sarah! :hug:

Made it over!
Woohoo, Mo is here, the party can start now! :banana:

Following along too! popcorn::
Hi, Amy! Welcome! :goodvibes

I'm here too party:
Yay, Kelly! I'm so glad you made it here! :hug:

Following along. Can't wait to hear about your whirlwind trip! :goodvibes
Hi, Colleen! :hug: I can't want to tell ya'll all about it! :cutie:

Following along - hope you are catching up on your sleep first though!
I am, even if unintentionally. I seem to have brought a cold back home with me. :crazy2:

But love that the weather was fabulous for you.
It was! Hot and humid, but there was a nice breeze. And I'm from a very humid part of the country, so it didn't bother me! :cutie:

Wow, tiara's DO go well with face painting!
They do if you're a princess! princess:

Following :)
Welcome!!! :goodvibes

Here, of course! Can't wait to read all about it!
Yay! Hi, Jamie! :hug:

I'm here too...ooohhh a dining report too... going check that out too!
Hi, Lynn! So glad you're here! :hug:

I'm in! I am so excited to hear all about it. And, of course, I am loving the tiara picture! Why have I never taken my tiara on a Disney trip?!? What is wrong with me? Sheesh.....
Hi, Lori! :hug: And I bought my tiara in Disney on my last trip, so it's kind of a no-brainer for me. :rotfl:

Hi Billie!! All set for your new solo excursion. :dance3:
OMG, it's Rob! Hi, Rob! :hug: So happy to have you back for this one! :hyper:

is as good of a reason as any. :goodvibes
I couldn't agree more! :cutie:

Ready to hear all about your trip! ::MickeyMo
Hi, and welcome!! :wave2:

Found you!! I'm excited to hear all about your trip! Yours is the first PTR since I've been back on the DIS after a long absence, where I followed the whole thing and am now coming over to continue reading about how the actual trip went down!!! I hope everything (that you wanted to) went according to plan after all that!!
Aww, well I'm VERY glad that you're here, with me, Kathy! I'll do my best to continue to be entertaining! :rotfl:

:) I'm heeeeEEEeeerrreee!
Hi, Squeegee! So glad to see you here! :hug:

Too bad about the traffic...but hooray for arriving! My drive would be 20+ hours, so it has to be a plane for us (which the crew and I will be boarding in about 54 days):-). Dinner looks amazing.

Upgraded! This time to Full Size car, since it was the first car that was available! Hello, Toyota Camry! I love you! :lovestruc

Yay for the upgrade, but really ... how hard is it to have the car ready when its supposed to be?

Yeah. I took a photo of me eating one while driving. I'm a super duper driver. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because I don't drive, but ... sounds good to me :)

Now, let's talk about this photo for a moment. As you can see, I am at a full and complete stop to take this photo. Also, let's talk about that line of cars in my side mirror. Or about this line of cars ahead of me...

Holy cow. That's a lot of cars not moving.

I called Disney Dining, and let them know what was going on. They put me on hold to call the restaurant, who assured them that as long as I made it by 9:30pm, they would still seat me. Whew. Well, it'll be close, but at least there's hope...

Yay for the restaurant being okay with you being late.

Boma!!! I was seated relatively quickly, and I had a LOVELY server named Stacey who was just wonderful, and really went out of her way to make sure I didn't feel rushed.

I actually love being there right when restaurants close ... it's so much quieter, and if they don't rush you, you really get a chance to enjoy it.

I wandered a bit, and decided to buy me a new set of classic Minnie Ears. I love how they ae making them now with the bow all puffy.

So, when do we get to see a picture of you with the new ears?
I'm actually thinking of getting those puffy bow ears on my next trip...

Other than the car & traffic issues, sounds like a good arrival night!

Yay! So excited that you started this! Your TRs are the best! :goodvibes

Upgraded! This time to a Full Size car, since it was the first car that was available! Hello, Toyota Camry! I love you! :lovestruc

You have some serious upgrade luck!! A nice, comfy car makes the road trip more tolerable, I'm sure!

Also, my mom made a batch of Rice Krispy treats for me to take with me. (Did I mention she's kind of the best?) I was nibbling on those during the drive, too:

Yummy! What a sweet mama!

Two hours later, I'm sitting at a stand-still in Orlando for an hour. This was pretty much me:

Oh, Billie. Traffic is just the worst on a normal day. But when you're trying to make it to your happy place? Nightmare! :headache:

When I finally passed under that archway for Walt Disney World, finally a sense of peace settled over me, and I knew that somehow it would be all right.

Ahhh, it just makes everything better!

Dinner at Boma sounds delicious! I've heard great things about the zebra domes, too! We're renting DVC points at AKL next trip so I know Boma will be a must do but I'm thinking breakfast on our rest day. But I think Mara has zebra domes too and I know we'll swing by there a few times.

Can't wait to hear about your Magic Kingdom day!

Ugh!! I run into the same issue every time with Enterprise!! Glad you got the upgrade though!

Boo for traffic! It's the absolute worst getting through one traffic jam just to hit another one!

So glad you were able to make your ADR! I agree a cocktail was definitely in order.

Looking forward to following along on the rest of your journey!

I would love to have a 5 hour drive :) We actually live 18+ hours plus stops from WDW and drove 2 of the 3 times we have went, but are flying again this year just to get the extra days at the park. If we are able to go next year though I think we will save the money and drive again :idea:

Can't wait to read the rest of your trip!!

Holy Sheep..... wool.. you had some serious traffic!!! thankfully we don't hit it.. we start the drive about 3 central time. so most of the driving is in the DEAD of the night.. i do mean DEAD night. took us about 16 total hours to get here.

So glad you made it to Boma!! YAY for you!!! i am sure you were ready to hit the bed face first!

Holy traffic, Batman! I probably would have exploded in the car :scared1::scared:

Thankfully you got there safe and had what looks like a great meal at Boma! Can't wait to read more :)

What's up enterprise?!!? Get your act together--this chick is headed to Disney and needs to hit the road!!!

That traffic! It makes me crazy!

I'm so glad you made it and got to have your yummy dinner! Yay, valet parking!

Oy the traffic!! I would be super stressed about potentially missing my ADR. It's awesome that they were cool with you being late. Must put Boma on my "to do" list for our next trip ::yes::
The zebra domes.....mmmmmmmmmm we were able to partake in them when we had dinner at the QS there. AKL is amazingly beautiful.
Nice ride they upgraded to you!
BTW, love the face paint in your new avatar pic! So pretty!
Girl you are the gif queen .....love them!

Hi Billie. Ugh! I'm sorry you had to deal with so many delays. It's great that you were upgraded to the nicer car but nothing good about that traffic. :sad2: At least you still made it to dinner. :thumbsup2 It is great to live 5 hours from Orlando but it would be nice to have the option to fly if you wanted to. That beverage looks delish. It must have been nice after the long, stressful drive. AKL is so beautiful. If it wasn't so far away from everything I'd love to stay there. I'll go over to check out your dining review. :teleport:

I'm here reading along!!! Great report so far!! That drive looked a bit painful...but still you are lucky to be able to drive there - though I totally understand wanting to not have to be the one driving...hate driving...especially in Florida lol. BUT...just a question - do they have busses or trains or anything from where you live to Orlando? Just a thought....Anyway...looks like you got a great ride and made it there for your ADR so that's all that matters!! Looking forward to hearing the rest - I'm THISCLOSE to booking a trip at the POFQ for October....so I can't wait to hear more about it on your TR!!

Yeah... I always say, Good Luck sleeping on Disney Departure day. It's scientifically impossible.

Believe it or not, sometimes I'm really envious of ya'll that fly down. Especially as a solo traveler, I would much rather just kick back and read a book and let somebody else get me there!

I am so ridiculously envious of people within driving distance of Disney. Cheaper, and more or less on your own schedule. Of course, I am also envious of those who have year round direct flights too. So yeah, just overall really envious I guess.

I-4. Issues? Never. :rolleyes2

I am already a fan of your dinner choice because... Stacey. :love:

Oh lord ain't it the truth. I don't think people quite realize how cheap the off property hotels are. But especially when it's just a quick one nighter. I say, save the bucks.

Hey Billie! I didn't realize you had a bonus weekend at WDW! How cool is that? POFQ is one of our favorite resorts and I hope you loved it too. Can't wait to hear how your weekend went. :)

Sorry to hear about the nightmare "commute"! Can't wait to hear about your resort... I'm getting so tempted to book a short solo trip now, ha!

Big, fat, weekend, that means I'm so in ; )

Sorry for the rocky start. Looks like its all on the upswing though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter