My August 2021 Solo Trip w/ No Parks, but lots of firsts! Yacht Club and Gideon's!

happily single

Left foot first!
Hello everyone! This isn't my first Trip Report, but I've never managed to complete one. Since this was a short trip with no parks I should be able to complete it in one post. Wish me luck! **update** One post isn't going to cut it.

My family frequent WDW about every 18 months. My last visit was an "Epic One Day" trip in December, 2019 with my 15 yr old son. Despite our frequent trips and my constantly being on these boards I have what I call Disney Amnesia and I go blank once I'm in the bubble.

I'm a 47 yr old mom of three grown kids (16, 22 and 24). For all big life events we celebrate in Disney. I live in Warwick, RI, about 1 minutes from the PVD Airport. I own a massage studio and until last week also worked for a massage chain. Because I had a lot of free time I also work as a litigation paralegal several days a week. I just purchased a home and kept true to my promise to "Adopt all the dogs" as we are now the proud parents to three dogs (2 of which are puppies) in addition to one mean-spirited cat. My house is pure chaos. This trip was planned purely on the premises that I needed to get away from home to get some business "stuff" done as well as to finish a few onlines courses.

The plan: Saturday August 14th thru Monday August 16th. I had a 5am flight out of Providence with an arrival at Orlando at 8:05 am.
My return flight left MCO at 4:00pm and had me flying in PVD at 9:20pm on Monday. Both flights were Southwest.

I scored great deal on Priceline for a Waterview Room at The Yacht Club for $242.00 per night (plus tax, etc). Originally I wasn't sure if I was going to stay IN Disney, but at that price (and factoring in the cost of a rental for such a short stay) it made financial sense to stay in Disney to use Magic Express. Can you believe I've never used Uber? I've also heard there is a shortage of ride share in many cities. Plus I didn't want to be in a vehicle with someone I didn't know.

Saturday: I arrived at PVD at about 3:20am for my flight. I was nervous to arrive so early. if you know PVD you know its a small airport. I felt relief as I approached the parking garage and saw lot of people exiting the airport. Unfortunately the TSA was closed up as where every single airline counter. A line formed of people (myself included) who were waiting to check bags, etc. Finally about 4:15 everything opened up.

I had purchased Early Bird Ticket as I wasn't too keen on waking up at 5am on Friday to do online check in. Early Bird automatically checks you in 36 hours beforehand. I was assigned A57.

Boarding began and just as the last passengers got onboard I heard a flight attendant tell another one that the windshield had cracked! Apparently while boarding a huge ( I saw it) crack appeared on the windshield. So we all de-planed. The flight was delayed until 6am and then 8am so they could get another plane and crew. Ultimately the flight was cancelled at about 7am. They offered me a 6:30pm connecting flight which landed after 11pm from memory-a full 13 hours after my originally scheduled flight. I was also placed as stand-by on an oversold 11am and 2pm flights. I decided to check other airlines and was very surprised to find an American Airine flight at 1:15p.m. for a good price. It was a connecting flight, but had me landing in Orlando at 6:30 p.m. I booked that, went to the Southwest counter to request a refund and called my daugther to come pick me up since I had about 4 hours to wait.

The American Airline flight was on a tiny plane (2 seats in each row). I was in the very last row. There wasn't even a seat for the flight attendant! He had a jumpseat that was attached to the outside of the restroom room door. Sitting there caused him to have his knees in my face! The flight was uneventful but for the very excited guy across the aisle from me. He was a mini version of the guy from Elf. Every single event required a High-Five. He was so excited to be flying. He had taken a taxi from new Haven, CT as his original flight was also cancelled. He was flying from PVD to PHILLY to DENVER then to LAS VEGAS all to see his friend get married.

Unfortunately my connecting flight was delayed due to weather. We finally landed in MCO about 8:30 p.m. and I headed to Magic Express after retrieving my bag.

I was the first one on the bus and waited only about 15 minutes before we were full and on our way. We stopped at AofA; Caribbean Beach; Beach Club and Finally The YACHT CLUB. I was the only person getting off at Yacht Club.

I'll finish my report with my check-in and my trip to Disney Springs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter