My 18 mo old is delayed in walking/standing - ? about waiting in lines

Selket

Been there - done that
My 18 mo old son is not yet walking...or able to stand up yet. Fortunately he will be able to do all of this eventually (he is getting treatment for this) but I've just been thinking that we're going to have to remove him from the stroller while lining up for rides. He is not small either (31 lbs) and has the usual mental abilities :-)bounce: ) and curiosity of a typical toddler. What do we do with him? I personally can't hold him for 30 minutes! DH and I can take turns but that might still get tiring. You'd think I'd be used to hauling him around by now but frankly I don't really carry him much since he is in the house or the stroller if we're out. If I put him down on the ground (pavement) he would either sit or scoot on his bottom (he doesn't crawl to get around). This has limited his ability to be outside this summer of course as he hates sitting on grass!

I could bring a blanket to sit him on but then I'd have to move it every 30 seconds and he'd probably try to scoot off of it. Any ideas? Carriers built for his size? He is scared of a backpack. I saw a "side carrier" mentioned here once (not a baby sling) - do you think that would work?

Let me add that I know many people have kids that big at one year old but he is a lot harder to handle as he gets closer to two yrs! He wants to explore more if he is out of the stroller...when he was younger he was at least easier to hold on to. He is relatively content in his stroller however.

Any help appreciated!

I think that technically the front carriers, specifically the Baby Bjourn, can be used until they are 35 lbs. It would be rough on your shoulders but it would help.

My son is about the same weight and we are going at the end of next month. Even though he is walking and standing, we still are going to need to hold him in line because he is a maniac. He would never just stand patiently; he would be pushing and shoving to the front of the line.

We went went when he was 17months and about 27 lbs and we did the same thing. If you get really tired and you are just standing have him sit on your feet for a few moments. There are also many rides that my husband stood outside the line with DS and they just scooted in last minute. As long as you let the people behind you know what your doing there shouldn't be a problem.

I hated baby slings when my kids were little, but found a sling to be very useful at the age you are talking about - once they are able to old themselves up. You may want to try and borrow one and see if it will do.

Other suggestion - make ample use of Fastpass and EE. Don't wait in lines if you can help it. This may mean doing Fantasyland EVERY morning of your trip, then park hopping to a park where there are less lines and more stroller time. Disney has been pretty good about letting one person wait in a line for a show and letting the rest of the party join - we did this for the Lion King show at AK and it was great - I had the active toddler, and my mom waited in line.

We seldom wait in 30 minute lines at Disney and have done just fine.

I'd also recommend just trying to stay out of lines as much as possible. We're taking our baby in November when he'll be 10 months old, and since he's about 25 pounds now, I'm sure that holding him for extended time periods will be a chore. We've never found a sling or carrier that he liked and that we could get his bottom out of easily. (Seriously. It's a 2-person job getting the baby out of a Snuggli. One person holds him and the other yanks down on the carrier.) We're planning on using FP and doing the popular attractions during the least crowded times when we go. You should be able to do that too, since it won't be extremely crowded when you go.

Frankly I don't know what is worse - the active running around toddler or my non-walking one - LOL! I just know it can be exhausting trying to hold him constantly and not be able to put him down at all or he is sitting on the pavement (which would be too hot and dirty there I think). I think having a small blanket could help for quick sits (so I can have my hands free for a minute). I don't think I could hold him for that long even with a sling. Waiting off to the side somewhere and meeting up with the rest of the party would be perfect for us (after the rest of the party got through the line). Would that work in something like waiting for the playhouse disney show or some other attraction with a snaking que?

We definitely will do everything to avoid waiting in any line but I think in August it could be unavoidable not to hit some 30+ min. waits.

Thanks!

Check out the DisAbilities board, you might qualify for a GAC card, which would mean that you could wait in a seperate area, preferably one where you could keep the stroller - or I think you can get permission to take the stroller in line as if it were a wheelchair.

As for slings, I have got a cloth pouch sling, my baby isn't here yet so I can't say for sure, but it looks like it will be a lot easier to use than a Snugli - I totally agree about the Snugli's they are impossible to get the child in and out of. The pouch sling means you still have to hold the child, but will help to support their weight.
pouch sling or if you can sew make your own pouch sling

Bev

I agree-- post this on the DISabilities board because you should definately be eligible for a GAC to use the stroller as a wheelchair--which it is right now. That should really help you in most lines and you could back door some others. The helpful folk on the DISabilities board can tell you exactly how the GAC works.

Hi! We just returned from WDW with a 27-pound 17-month-old.
I had really worried about the lines too--knowing that there really wouldn't be a place to put DS down in line, and knowing he would squirm and not want to be held! I purchased a hip carrier from One Step Ahead called the "EZ Baby" or something like that and it worked out quite well, though we really only used it for show lines (Playhouse Disney, etc.). I normally hate baby carriers but this one seemed to be really good for this age.

What worked best, though, was simply not standing in lines! In our 5 days at WDW the longest wait we rode EVERYTHING we wanted to and the longest we had for a ride was 15 minutes for Pirates of the Caribbean. The "secret" was arriving at the park at opening time and taking advantage of all the super-short wait times on rides that would have long lines later in the day; as lines built up after the first couple of hours we'd ride things like Small World that never had a long line. Then we'd go back to the hotel during the busy afternoon, and return to the park in the evening when some lines were still very long (we avoided those) but others were short. We also fastpassed and baby-swapped a lot of things in the evenings.

At any rate, maybe a GAC will help you to avoid the problem entirely but just know that you don't HAVE to wait in lots of long lines, even in the busy summer season! Have fun with your little one--our toddler absolutely loved WDW!

i also used the hip carrier from one step ahead for my then 9 month old who was 28lbs! :eek:

I just happened to be here, so you can still visit disABILITIES (follow the link in my7 signature), but I can provide some information right now about Guest Assistance Cards (GACs).

They are meant to provide information to CMs about the needs for accomidation of people with invisible disabilities. They are not meant to (and usually won't) shorten your wait in line, but will provide what is neccessary to let you wait in a more comforatble and appropriate way. Not all the GACs are the same, the message/instructions that are posted on them are suited to the needs you have. There is one stamp that allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair that would be appropriate for your situation. In general, that allow the stroller to be brought into lines where strollers usually are not allowed (like into the pavilions at Epcot). Most lines (including fastpass lines) are wheelchair accessible. The GAC does advise you to use fastpass as much as possible to avoid long waits in line.
To request a GAC, you go (with your son) to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your son's needs to the CM. Although a doctor's letter is not required, some people feel better having one as backup. A GAC is good at all parks (you don't have to get one at each park) and is usually issued for your entire length of stay for the person with a disability plus up to 5 members of their party.

The other suggestions about using fastpass and getting there early will also help limit your wait in line. DH and I just got back a week agao and by going early to MK, we were able to go on all the Fantasyland rides (and a couple others) by 11:00 without rushing. Especially since you have a child who is "stroller age", be ready for some looks when you take your stroller into lines. We got that when DD was little - people arguing with a CM about why we were allowed to bring our stroller (which was a pediactric wheelchair - big back wheels and all) into line and they couldn't. Just keep in mind that those people have no knowledge (or right to know about) your situation and you are using the stroller as a mobility device becasue you have a need that WDW recognized.
Good luck and here's some pixie dust for a great trip.

Took our 12 month DS in Jan 03. He is the other way, if we put him down he would be 50 feet away in a second. So we had to hold his little chunky in body in lines. Couple of things:
- At that age they barely know what a ride is, this is a good thing.
- Get their early. We were able to walk him onto most of the fantasyland rides because we got to the early magic hour. We were done in that land by 10:00
-DS loved the sites, characters, etc that had nothing to do with rides (Dive bombing birds at Pecos Bill, Animal exhibits at AK, roaming musical acts at all parks)
-DS loved shows, practically had a coronary at Playhouse Disney when "Bear" "Stanley" "Ollie" and the great "Tigger" appeared
-DS enjoyed World Showcase at Epcot. He loved the acts, food (went nuts for couscous, go figure) and music.

DS showed us a totally different WDW than when we took DD as a three year old. Enjoy it! Little ones don't need or want commando mode, save that for when he's older.

It is pretty much the same as the One Step Ahead one. DD will be 12 months when we go, and she'll be about 25 lbs. She's also very tall. This carrier would not be good for walking all day, but I think it would help for standing in line. It is for babies up to 40 lbs. It basically helps to distribute the baby's weight onto your hip and shoulder, although it seems to strain the neck as well. It is pretty small, like a larger size fanny pack. I just ordered a Theodore Bean Mesh Carrier as well. When are you going?

You could probably find a carrier/side sling/something that would HELP with holding him- but it can only help so much. It's still going to be you holding a 31lb child basically.

When we went- our barely 2yr old daughter was about 26lbs and we just avoided long lines. Maybe 15 min tops is the most we waited in line holding her. She could walk- but stand in line? Forget it.... LOL Much better to hold her than have her running off in between people in line and/or fighting her to stay in one place.

We used fastpasses on pretty much everything we rode unless it had a short line OR if not all of us wanted to do it or could do it (say the younger two children couldn't ride because of height restrictions)- one would stay out with the kids- with her in a stroller. Or if the line was long- we made a mental note to try to catch that ride/etc another time early in the morning or something when there might not be a long line. Things like that. We basically just avoided having to hold her in line for long periods of time.
There's no way we would have had fun while at WDW if we were constantly standing in 30+min lines holding her each time- day after day.

I agree with the others and think you should research getting a GAC. If there is a medical reason your little guy isn't walking yet then by all means use this program , thats the reason they have it. No reason for you or DH to put your back out with a front or side carrier.

Don't feel bad about using the program. If it makes your wait in lne easier for you then it makes your wait in line easier for others too!!

Thanks for all of the replies! I will definitely try to minimize our waiting time in lines - that would solve the problem without any extra hassle. I've got the plans made after reading the guide books and investing in Tour Guide Mike. The ride focus is more on the 5 yr old as he cares the most about what we do. With DH along, he could always take the young one and do something else. We do want to do some things as a family however. I'm definitely not the commando style park person but I do try to minimize waiting times. We've got two early evening eride nights and I'm taking the 5 yr old back to the parks then to hit some of those attractions.

I realized the other day while trying to hold the younger DS while running an errand a few stores away from our grocery that after 10 minutes or so I just cannot hold him anymore. I have bad carpal tunnel iin my hands and by the time I got to the grocery my hands were so numb that I couldn't get him into the seat of the grocery cart! Two people (complete strangers) were nice enough to help me! Hopefully DH and I can split the holding duties and should we find ourselves needing to wait in line for 15+ minutes then we can see about the stroller pass.

Thanks again!

I'd do a "trial run" at a local amusement park. See how he reacts to waiting and how you do holding him. If it's do-able, plan your trip. If it's miserable, consider delaying your trip. He will walk, and Disney will still be there!

Selket,
I understand wanting to do things as a family, and hopefully you'll have a lot of opportunities to do so. When we went in Jan DH took 4.5yr DD on the rides. Yes, I really wanted to be on there with them, I missed seeing DD face on the Safari ride, and having her hold on to me for dear life in Haunted Mansion.
But I would not give up my time alone with DS 1. While they rode, DS and I would explore the area around the ride. Like I posted, we got to see all of the little things we miss going from ride to ride. By the end of the trip DH caught on, and we had to negotiate who got to stay with DS. Believe me, between the shows, playgrounds, fastpass rides etc there will be many things you'll do together.
Does he still nap? By taking DS I got to do something I never had the chance to do with "where's the next ride" DD. I could actually SHOP while he napped in stroller. And strollers with a canopy are great for piling the stuff on top of while you shop.

Fortunately (or unfortunately :eek: ) DH is not a big fan of WDW so I think he will be content to sit out the rides if need be. I'm the WDW/ride person in the group and I am looking forward to riding things with DS who is 5. Believe me, I am usually the one who hangs out with the little one while the DH and older DS go do stuff! (We just returned from a two week vacation where I did mostly that!) However I didn't want to "assume" that DH would not want to do things that are appropriate for the young one as well...if there is a wait that seems reasonable. I think if I have a fall back plan for worst case (DH wants to ride everything with us, lines are long and unavoidable somehow, it is hot and we're dead tired....er......and a hurricane is coming and ....). Well..you get the picture!:smooth:

What would work best for us (or anyone with little kids) is not to have to wait in any memorable lines! I've really found the tour guide mike site helpful and I just signed up for it yesterday. I feel like I finally have a handle on where to go when and some alternatives. If all else fails, I'm sure we'll enjoy hanging out at the AKL!

Many thanks - the folks on the family board are the BEST!:jester:

Use fastpast as much as possible, my wife and I had to do this a lot when we brought our 9 month old to disney for her first trip. We also took turns waiting in some lines, most people realize you if have an infant or toddler you cant all be in the line at the sametime, I never had a problem doing the switch.

Now my daughter is walking and will be 22 months when we go this september I know she isnt going to sit still in line so it will again be one of us not in line chasing her around and hoping that the people behind us understand.

Goodluck, Im sure it will all work out just fine, I notice that most people at disney are quite friendly in the lines.

Please don't hesitate to get a GAC. You are blessed that your little one will soon walk, but at this time he has a need that most children that age do not have. Yes, use fast pass when you can and try to avoid long lines, but take advantage of what can make your trip better for you. There are so many rides that a two year old will love that he would miss out on if you are not able to go through the lines with him. If you feel the need, ask your dr. for a letter stating the inability of your son to walk or stand on his own. Yes, going through the lines with any toddler is difficult but most parent can at least stand their child down on the ground for a few minutes rest. Here is wishing you the best trip possible.

Jordan's mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter