Motion sickness with early pregnancy

getrdun

Earning My Ears
We just found out my wife is one month preganant. Yeeah!

I'm worried that morning sickness combined with motion sickness might make the cruising experience horrible for her. We are scheduled for the 4 day cruise in April. Anybody have any experience with this?

I don't have expierence with the motion sickness with morning sickness but I did have terrible morning sickness when I was pregnant and was miserable in general lol. I am guessing she won't be able to take any motion sickness medicine but you can try sea bands.. you can get them at the drug store and they put pressure on points in the wrist that is suppose to help with both motion/morning sickness.
Congratulations and good luck!

Congratulations!
We cruised when I was about 6 months pregnant. Luckily, my "morning sickness" subsided by the 6th month but we were worried about seasickness. We had one day that the seas weren't as smooth but really didn't bother me or DD much...however DH was popping the pills.

I purchased the sea bands...just in case and didn't use them (I got them for our DD but they would fit me too!!!)

I've read in pregnancy/expecting books that soda crackers and/or ginger helps to ease morning sickness which can feel like seasickness. So I bought some soda crackers and ginger snaps with me, but didn't need them.

Good luck...here's wishing you smoothing sailing in April.

I was on a one-day (thank God!) cruise when I was about one month pregnant. I was feeling queasy when on land, and once the shop dropped anchor and started swaying, I was sick as a dog. I didn't take any motion sickness drugs because of being pregnant, but I would try the pressure bands, as others suggested.

DW cruised during 2nd trimester with our 2nd DD, which strangely enough was the only trimester she had "morning" sickness....in any event, she used the sea bands & they worked a bunch...she also had a lot of those "Preggie Pops" and candies (which are varied flavors of ginger candies that you can find at Motherhood & Maternity and most other prego-stores)...and she did end up getting a script from her OB/GYN to take along on the cruise in case motion sickness compounded her ailment (I think it was promethazine, but she never ended up needing it, so I don't remember for certain)...

In any event, she had a great time, enjoyed taking a brief nap each day with our DD1, and is eagerly looking forward to our next DCL cruise next year...

I was sick my entire pregnancy. Ended up taking Zofran which is what they give chemo patients to help with the nausea. It helped a lot. We went on a 10 day Celebrity cruise when I was about 4-5 months and still sick, but that was the best I felt my whole pregnancy!! I've always loved being at sea, so I don't know if it was being outside all the time, or always having food to eat, but I felt awesome! But I've never been one to get motion sick either, so don't know how that would affect it. If she stays sick, tell her to ask for Zofran.

I think I would get a script before leaving. I do not know if I would jump to the big guns of Zofran as a just in case thing, but Reglan is a little more benign. A little Unisom goes a long way to, especially before settling for sleep. Take the Sea-Bands just in case, know there are crackers and ginger ale on board and tell her never to let her stomach get empty, which is hard to do on a cruise. Small frequent eatting is the key.... I would tell her to stay out of the spa as well. The smaells can cause triggers.... She will be fine and enjoy your little last pow wow before the little one arrives. Congratulations on your addition....

I was about 2-3 wks pregnant on our last cruise.
In fact, it was so early along that I didn't know yet. I didn't get morning sickness until about 6 wks along and when I did....it was BAD...:sick:

Definetly try the sea bands and ginger chews (avail at Whole Foods or any natural food store). In fact, she should even ask her doctor if thre are medications that can help her. I was prescribed a pretty strong anti-emetic..,not Zofran.. (actually pregnancy class C) by my OB when my sickness got so bad I was not hydrating properly. So there may be something they can prescribe or reccomend that is safe for the baby too.

I wouldn't say the cruise would be horrible for her....maybe challenging at times. I would just say when the boat is rocking, don't come knockin'...ha ha, by that I mean just be prepared for it and if the ship is rocking bad and she feels ill to go lay down and get some rest. When the ship is in port and moving slowly it will be much better.....

Me...I would go no matter what!:thumbsup2 CONGRATS!!!!!

Granted my last pregnancy was 18 years ago, but my morning sickness lasted every day. My doctor told me to take Unisom for it and it helped. As always, I would have her consult with her doctor before taking anything.

I had hyperemesis with my first pregnancy and would go to the ER to get rehydrated and meds. I toke zofran, which helped.

I was also nauseous with my second pregnancy (twins), but not near as bad.

I cruised with my third pregnancy around 20 weeks. I had some morning sicknes with that pregnancy, but the first day of the cruise was very bad. I had to leave dinner in search of a bathroom. I really thought I was going to end up on YouTube as the preggo mom who lost it running down the hallway of the Dream! I think that the excitement and dealing with the other three and the early hours to get there played into the worst of it. I hadn't taken time to sit and eat and relax and it hit me when we sat down for dinner. I ended up being fine the rest of the cruise.

But if I had cruised with that first pregnancy, I would have been a mess!

So each pregnancy is different!

Hopefully, your wife's is short lived or true alleviated easily by crackers and soda.

Honestly, if she already gets motion sick and is now having morning sickness? I would look into changing the cruise to after the baby is 6 months old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter