Motion Sickness & Dramamine- what do you ride?

LittleFlounder

DIS Veteran
In a few days I will be going to WDW with children (just myself and the 2 of them) for the first time and I would like to experience some of the bigger rides with them. The problem is, I always skip the big rides because they make me feel sick. I will be taking Dramamine so the kids don't have to ride everything without me, but I'm wondering which rides I will be able to go on and how effective the medicine will be. I'm pretty sure I will be able to handle Splash and Big Thunder, but I'm not sure what else. I know the kids want to ride EVERYTHING!

For those of you who get motion sickness on rides and take Dramamine while at WDW parks... what rides are you able to go on? Do you feel sick at all? When you take motion sickness medicine, are you able to ride any/all of the following:

Space Mountain
TeaCups
Everest
Dinosaur
Test Track
Tower of Terror
RnRC

I usually buy Bonine instead of Dramanine. I am able to ride all of those you listed except the Teacups. As far as the medicine...I really only need it for Space Mountain and Everest.

I take Ginger capsules, too, which seems to help. I have never been able to ride the teacups without feeling nauseous even with Dramamine. I would skip that one if motion sickness is an issue.

I have been able to ride all the other rides you have listed, but my motion sickness is pretty much limited to spinny rides. Good luck!

I also take Bonine so I don't get that dragged down feeling I used to get even with the Dramamine non-drowsy.

My girlfriend is a Bonine user. She's the type that gets motion sick from walking too fast (not really, but close). She is able to handle most rides just fine. From your list, the only one that really got to her was Dinosaur. She doesn't like RnRC because she doesn't like going upside-down and she doesn't like the free-fall feeling of ToT, but she didn't get sick when I made her ride them. She was nervous about the Teacups, so when we went on I did what I could to keep our cup from spinning, as she was telling me to let the cup spin it was over.

Other rides (not on your list) that she likes that she thought might give her an issue were: Astro Orbiter, BTMRR, Primevil Whirl and Soarin', none of which gave her a problem with the Bonine.

Another Bonine user here. From your list, I rode Tea Cups, Dinosaur, and Test Track without a problem. I also rode the old Space Mountain in the past, but did not try the new one. Soaring and Triceratops Spin were also fine for me. The only ride that gave me trouble was the Star Tours at HS, I did not feel so good after riding it, but it's being refurbished now so it may be smoother in the future.
I start taking Bonine a couple of days before my trip: half a tablet every 6 hours or so, and keep taking it this way for the duration.
Finally, even with medication, I try not to ride with an empty stomach or right after a big meal!
Enjoy your trip.

I also take Bonine so I don't get that dragged down feeling I used to get even with the Dramamine non-drowsy.

Dramamine Non Drowsy is the exact same thing as Bonine. Both of them are meclizine, which can still cause some drowsiness, but not nearly as much as dimenhydrinate, which is the ingredient in original Dramamine.

DW gets motion sickness and by taking meclizine/Bonine/Dramamine Non Drowsy, she was able to ride almost everything.

She still couldn't do the Teacups or Triceratop Spin and there was one scene in Soarin that bothered her a little. The part where you fly over the city and it's a little shaky. The only other thing that caused her a problem was doing both Fire and Ice on Dueling Dragons, without any break in between.

The only rides I can't do even with the meds are teacups and astro orbiter. :sick:

With the meds I have no problems with the carousel, space and RnRC. I can ride everything else without meds.

In a few days I will be going to WDW with children (just myself and the 2 of them) for the first time and I would like to experience some of the bigger rides with them. The problem is, I always skip the big rides because they make me feel sick. I will be taking Dramamine so the kids don't have to ride everything without me, but I'm wondering which rides I will be able to go on and how effective the medicine will be. I'm pretty sure I will be able to handle Splash and Big Thunder, but I'm not sure what else. I know the kids want to ride EVERYTHING!

For those of you who get motion sickness on rides and take Dramamine while at WDW parks... what rides are you able to go on? Do you feel sick at all? When you take motion sickness medicine, are you able to ride any/all of the following:

Space Mountain
TeaCups
Everest
Dinosaur
Test Track
Tower of Terror
RnRC

I take Bonine while at WDW (but Dramamine in the car on the drive - I like the extra sleep. :rotfl: ). I haven't tried Dramamine Non-Drowsy (wasn't aware they had one) as a PP mentioned.

Space Mountain - was fine
Tea Cups - NEVER AGAIN! :sick: (once I begged the kids to not touch the wheel in the middle and I found a focus-spot, it wasn't too bad, but that wasn't fun for them) I wobbled around for a bit afterwards, but once I sat down and drank some water, I felt fine the rest of the day.
Everest - was fine
Dinosaur - haven't tried :eek:
Test Track - was fine without any meds
Tower of Terror - I was too scared to notice any sickness :scared1: (and all the screaming helped, I think)
RnRC - was fine

But this is just my experiences. G'luck!

I keep wondering if I could handle MS:Orange with some help from Dramamine.....

The only rides that have made me feel ill in WDW are Astro-Orbiter (won't be doing that again) and the teacups (well, that was the DLRP version, but won't be back on.)

MS Green was great, but I kind of want to try the orange side........

I think it all depends on the severity of your motion sickness. I'm able to ride all on your list except the Tea Cups - but honestly I haven't tried that ride since my motion sickness became more of a problem (I used to love the Tea Cups growing up!). I did have one ride on Everest that left me dizzy, but I think it was more because I rode on an empty stomach. Other than that single instance, I rode Everest many times without a problem.

The other rides that I have trouble with that are not on your list are Star Tours and Mission Space (the more intense version). I tried them after taking Dramamine and I managed to ride without feeling really sick, but I did experience dizziness.

Space Mountain
TeaCups
Everest
Dinosaur
Test Track
Tower of Terror
RnRC

So here's the deal... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1o7nMfSgI

Watch my youtube.

I don't like to take pills, and especially Dramamine and Bonine because they make me cranky, SLEEPY, and just overall foggy. This past trip I used ginger pills, motioneze, and sea bands. THEY WORKED PERFECTLY FOR ME. I rode ToT, RnRC, EE, SM, SPLMTN, BTMRR, TT, DINO, etc etc etc. I had the BEST trip. And best of all- I was MYSELF! I felt good, I wasn't cranky, and DH had a better time because of it :rotfl:. I do admit that I keep Bonine with me just in case, but after last trip having so much success with the alternative remedies that didn't mess with my head, I will never ever go back. I even rode a boat in Miami in January with the three natural remedies and could walk around the boat, look down, sway, and I had NO tummy troubles, no dizzyness, NOTHING! I was able to enjoy myself and not feel sick, OR grumpy/sleepy. :thumbsup2

The only rides that have made me feel ill in WDW are Astro-Orbiter (won't be doing that again) and the teacups (well, that was the DLRP version, but won't be back on.)

Hard to say. DW didn't attempt MS:Orange because she was nervous about it. But since it's a spinning ride where you can't see it spinning, it affects different people differently. Some people have no issue with it. Other people get very sick from it.

Space Mountain No problem for all three of our family members who used Dramamine.
TeaCups We didn't get a chance to try it.
Everest No problem for any of us.
Dinosaur All Fine
Test Track No problem at all.
Tower of Terror No problem.
RnRCMaybe just a touch queasy for two of our three, but it didn't last.

Our family tried Orange last summer for the first time WITH DRAMAMINE. We made sure to follow all the rules for M:S Orange: We kept our eyes open and focused on the screen even though this is NOT what we would normally do on a simulator.
Our daughter had no problems at all. I felt a little queasy right at the crash landing part but it passed as soon as we stopped. DH suffered a little queasiness after the ride, but nothing like he would normally have without meds.
It was pretty scary to commit ourselves to trying, but it went great for us.

Without meds, I get motion sick on everything. With them, I'm fine on pretty mcuh everything.

The teacups get me if we spin them fast, but fortunately, my DS3 doesn't like to spin fast, so I ride with him.

Mission: Space (orange) will DESTROY you if you do not follow directions precisely - meds or no meds. When you ride it, look straight ahead at all times. Do NOT close your eyes. Do NOT look to the side.

Even following directions, it makes me feel a little funny, but it's a superb ride. If you glance aside, though, you will pay for it.

Space Mountain
TeaCups
Everest
Dinosaur
Test Track
Tower of Terror
RnRC

I'm a big weenie and don't do roller coasters, but I did do ToT, Dinosaur, Splash Mountain and Soarin'. Got slightly dizzy on Soarin' but nothing incapacitating. I was able to ride it twice and was fine. I did chew ginger gum while riding it, though, just to be safe. ToT and Splash gave me no trouble whatsoever, which is great because they're my two favorite rides ;) I would ride ToT all day if I could. Now for Dinosaur... my stomach was fine, but I was a little sore afterwards, and I did get a bruise or two - you're really jostled on that ride. Plus I find that dino at the end to be absolutely terrifying!! :scared1: But I digress. The important thing was, I didn't feel sick.

As for the teacups, I get dizzy just watching them, so I won't set foot on them even with medicinal help.

I used non-drowsy Dramamine, which I took in the morning about an hour before we got the parks. Ginger gum is also a lifesaver if you do feel queasy at all. Good luck and have fun on those rides!! And please let us know how you did :)

I like meclizine better than regular Dramamine. If you want to save some money, ask at the pharmacy counter for the generic. I got a bottle of 100 pills for my cruise for like five bucks at Walmart. I saw it behind the counter at Walgreens last night, but I don't know how much they charge. I started taking it 5 days (took before bedtime to minimize sleepiness effect) before we boarded. Worked great! The only time I got queasy was one morning when I woke up and I had fallen asleep the night before and forgot to take it. Got up, took it, and felt fine.

I plan on taking it for my one-day park visit in May. I still am not going to try M:S Orange. I got soooo sick after riding it back in 2003 (we were there the week it opened to the public). Since I'm only doing one day at the parks, I hate to risk ruining it by getting sick. I am hoping it will help me on Soarin' and at Philharmagic. there's a couple of places in each I have to close my eyes. :lmao:

UPDATE! We got back from Disney on Sunday and I want to let all of you know how the Dramamine worked!

I took Dramamine Low-Drowsy 24hr every morning during breakfast, before rope-drop. It worked GREAT! Even without medicine, I can ride Soarin', but it was the other big rides I was worried about. Here's what I was able to ride:

Splash Mountain - no problem
Big Thunder Mountain - no problem
Rock 'n Roller Coaster - only got a little headache, no nausea... SO glad I went on this! So much fun! I'm so proud of myself! :woohoo:
Kali River Rapids - no problem
Test Track - no problem. LOVED IT! One of my new favourite rides!

I didn't go on the following rides:

Mission Space - still worried about getting sick so I chose not to ride it
Dinosaur - skipped it...I don't like jerky rides
Tower of Terror- chickened out(don't like drops)
Space Mountain - it was closed most of the day on Saturday March 5 which was our last MK day. :( I really wanted to go on it!
Teacups - didn't want to risk it, too much spinning
Everest - Decided I'd done enough roller coasters. Mentally couldn't do it!

Being able to go on more rides and rides I've never been on before really made this a different, and better trip for me! It was fun to experience these rides with my nephews and not have to wait for them at the exit. Thank you to all of you how responded to this thread!! You were a lot of help! :thumbsup2

Without motion sickness pills, I would throw up after every ride. I started taking bonine and does this ever make a huge difference! I can now go on everything (including the tea cups), and I also carry with me the ginger pills in case I ever feel anything afterwards. The only ride that I refuse to ride because of the motion sickness even with meds is The Simpsons ride in Universal. Star tours used to be bad too, but apparently they are getting a huge refurb so maybe I won't have problems on that one anymore. But, all the rides you mentioned, no problems.

Im glad Im not the only 1 with tea Cup issues. My 8 yr old daughter likes to jab me about a silly tea Cup ride Im not willing to ride. I'm going to try the advice I saw here for al ther other rides. I usally do most and bare the sickness, But sounds like I should now enjoy the rides more now. Being able to walk after a ride should be a bonus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter