Motion sickness advice needed...

lritt

Earning My Ears
Hi...I know there are a lot of threads out there on this, but I would truly appreciate some new advice. Once in a blue moon, I get motion sickness. However, as anyone knows who has ever experienced it, it really stinks!! The last time we visited (APril 2010), I rode Space Mountain and felt slightly queasy for about 45 minutes afterward. BTMRR on the other hand doesn't bother me in the slightest. LOVE it (and will miss it dearly in April 2012).

So, my question is this: I would like to try riding Everest and Splash Mountain on this trip. Is the backward part on Everest a real problem for those who experience motion sickness? And how about the drop on Splash Mountain? (I think I get more nervous anticipating than actually riding....). Does anyone have any tips for beating motion sickness/anxiety?

Thanks so much!

You can try Bonine. It's supposed to make you less drowsy than Dramamine. I am very prone to motion sickness. I can't even play ring around the rosy with my kids! I bought this to try out, but then chickened out and decided to play it safe. The last thing I wanted to do was to have to spend the trip vomiting at Disney.

Ride Tower of Terror back to back 10 times.

If that doesn't get you over any motion sickness, no amount of ginger extract ever will (co-incidentally, I am a sailor, and ginger tablets and extract or even candied ginger is the best thing for motion sickness. . .other than my above suggestion).

Or you could follow the advice I always give sand peeps that are sitting on the deck fittings looking green. . .have yourself a nice mayonaise sammich, served in a dirty ashtray.

That also gets people over their sea-sickness.

I use bonine and then have no problem. I take one every morning beginning the day before we fly out and continuing until the day after we get home. It didn't used to be like this :confused3!

Hi...I know there are a lot of threads out there on this, but I would truly appreciate some new advice. Once in a blue moon, I get motion sickness. However, as anyone knows who has ever experienced it, it really stinks!! The last time we visited (APril 2010), I rode Space Mountain and felt slightly queasy for about 45 minutes afterward. BTMRR on the other hand doesn't bother me in the slightest. LOVE it (and will miss it dearly in April 2012).

So, my question is this: I would like to try riding Everest and Splash Mountain on this trip. Is the backward part on Everest a real problem for those who experience motion sickness? And how about the drop on Splash Mountain? (I think I get more nervous anticipating than actually riding....). Does anyone have any tips for beating motion sickness/anxiety?

Thanks so much!

I can't help with the anxiety part, but I can tell you my experiences, which may differ from other people who have vertigo. The worst I ever felt was after ToT. My DH said my face was green and I was biting my lips to keep from losing it. I asked him to get me a Coke and I sat on a bench and took little sips til I felt better, but I woke up the next morning feeling like I had a hangover and didn't feel better til that evening. Needless to say I have not ridden it since. I have discovered as I have gotten older that I am more sensitive and that the effects last longer, so I am super paranoid. I have no problems with Splash and it is my favorite ride. I had a bit of dizziness after RnRC one year after not having any problems other years so that is now on my "don't do" list. I tried Everest on our last trip (Dec. '09) thinking no loops and what's the big deal with going backwards. I felt fine going backwards until right at the end of it where it kind of goes up. If it was straight and level backwards I probably would have been fine. So now that is a don't do. (I also have a bad back, so some rides are a double whammy) For vertigo, BTMRR and SM no problems. (my back, however...) Obviously, tea cups are a no go. I don't do simulations-Mission Space, Star Tours, etc. But, like I said, everyone is different. My worst was ToT, but some people with vertigo have no problems with it. Hope this has been of some help. (and hasn't increased your anxiety!) :)

QUEEN of motion sickness/anxiety right here!!!

I have found that there are 3 rides in WDW that I cannot ride comfortably: Star Tours, Mission: Space (even the lite version), and those GOSH DARN TEACUPS. I will add that I haven't ever tried Tower of Terror, I find the sensation of dropping straight down to be unpleasant.

There isn't anything on Splash Mountain that will upset your motion sickness (I don't think), but you may have anxiety about this ride. Don't! I promise promise promise it is not as bad as it looks. I've noticed while watching Splash and even being on it myself, many people look petrified at the top of the drop and are all smiles right after it's over.

On EE, the backwards part is a very strange (but cool) sensation. You almost feel like you're floating or something...it's hard to describe. It doesn't last very long though. I wouldn't get on this ride for the longest time (due to anxiety) and finally took the plunge on my most recent trip. Guess what, I got out and immediately got a Fastpass so I could ride again! I didn't have any motion sickness issues on this ride.

You could always take dramamine for motion sickness and see if your doctor can give you something for anxiety if you feel like it will be a real issue.

I'm the biggest ride weenie ever (just ask my husband) and I think if I can ride something, just about anyone can!

Thanks!! I think I might just have to see how I feel in the moment. If there is any anxiety beforehand, that might just make it worse. I do have some bonine and on the days when I "plan" to ride these rides, I will definitely take it just in case. I'm thinking that Splash will be easier to tolerate.
And you're right about it getting worse as we age. I used to be able to read while lying down in a car!!! and now I can barely look at a map while in a car. So if the bonine helps, that would be great.

We were just there in March and I usually have problems with motion sickness - especially spinning in circles, motion simulators and going up side down on roller coasters. I took ALL of the advice I got here on the boards - I took Bonine each morning, bought Sea Bands and a pack of ginger gum. I used the Sea Bands for rides I thought would be really bad (RnRC) and Star Tours and just to be safe I popped a piece of gum in my mouth before anything iffy.

I had absolutely NO problems and I rode RnRC 3 times, ToT, Star Tours, Space Mountain 3 times, Mission Space - Green, and EE. We also went to US/IOA and I did The Simpsons, Rip Ride, the Mummy and Men in Black with no problems either.

I know everyone is different but those things really worked great for me.

I just got back last night and I only had a few moments of illness on our trip.

EE was a disaster. The ride is super cool and I was great until the last 45 seconds or so. I had to sit and rest for a while when I was done. I think I also had to hold on to the wall for a minute or two. :(

Mission Space is something that I rode ONCE years ago and will never do again. Ever.

ToT is fine for me for some reason.

Space Mountain is not something I will ride. It is too jerky and I don't recover well.

Star Tours is tough. I keep thinking I will be fine and I never am. I need to just remember to not ride it. I had to sit on the bench outside of the ride for a while.

RNRC is fine for me, I love to ride it and can do it several times in a row.

Does anyone remember the old Body Wars ride at EPCOT from years ago? That ruined my vacation, I should have learned my lesson.

DH has some motion sickness and cannot do the teacups, Star tours, and the backwards part of EE had him out of sorts for about 30 min after riding. And he would ride Splash over and over so I don't think you have anything to worry about that one.
And yes 16 years ago on our honeymoon Bodywars put and end to what had started as a great day. Totally ruined DH for the remander of the day!:sick:

Transdermal Scop patch.

I suffer from wicked motion sickness and none of the OTC stuff does squat for me (I've tried it all: Bonine, Dramamine, Sea Bands, Motion-Eaze, ginger pills, even preswcription Phenergan).

The patch is a script you get from your doc. It's a dime size patch that goes behind your ear and last for up to 3 days before you put on a new one, or not. It is MAGIC. I can ride everything without any problems. It does have some possible side effects (dry mouth, and it can mess up your vision if you touch the patch and get the residue in your eyes,. Putting a band aid over it prevents this).

Heck, I got sick watching Hunger Games last Sunday because of the jerky camera. I tried Space Mt with a patch from the cruise and I was sick as a dog. The patch worked pretty good (not totally) on the cruise and I was sure it was going to work on Space Mt. So now I just skip anything that spins, jerks, jumps, twists, turns, etc. But I can do Toy Story Midway Mania because I try to focus on the targets.

From your description about Space Mountain making you queasy but not BTM, it would appear that you are susceptible to vision and motion being out of sync.

In this particular case, I wouldn't expect Splash Mountain to be an issue (plenty of visual references), but the backwards part of EE could be a bit of a problem.

I'd stay very far away from Mission: SPACE. Simulators in general could also be a problem, like Star Tours or even Soarin'.

However, everyone is a little different.

My DH has severe motion sickness tendancies and was always too groggy if he took Bonine or Dramamine, which also put a damper on the day. We have found that if he takes a ginger capsule each day before heading to the parks and also brings "Sea Bands" along for those rides, he never feels the motion misery! :thumbsup2 Hope these suggestions help.

From your description about Space Mountain making you queasy but not BTM, it would appear that you are susceptible to vision and motion being out of sync.

In this particular case, I wouldn't expect Splash Mountain to be an issue (plenty of visual references), but the backwards part of EE could be a bit of a problem.

I'd stay very far away from Mission: SPACE. Simulators in general could also be a problem, like Star Tours or even Soarin'.

I agree about the vision and motion being out of sync....I didn't go on Soarin' last time and my family thought I was crazy, but I knew that I wouldn't like the feeling of flight. I sat outside instead and ended up talking with a couple from a few towns away from mine!!

Never ever planned on Mission Space. Too claustrophobic for that! Since we will be visiting MK before we hit AK, I'll try Splash and see how that goes.

I also have the sea bands (didn't work for Space MT. last time) and I am going to bring some candied ginger as additional ammo. Even if I choose not to go on these rides, I will still be at Disney World, right?? :yay:

I agree about the vision and motion being out of sync....I didn't go on Soarin' last time and my family thought I was crazy, but I knew that I wouldn't like the feeling of flight. I sat outside instead and ended up talking with a couple from a few towns away from mine!!

Never ever planned on Mission Space. Too claustrophobic for that! Since we will be visiting MK before we hit AK, I'll try Splash and see how that goes.

I also have the sea bands (didn't work for Space MT. last time) and I am going to bring some candied ginger as additional ammo. Even if I choose not to go on these rides, I will still be at Disney World, right?? :yay:

I agree about the vision and motion being out of sync....I didn't go on Soarin' last time and my family thought I was crazy, but I knew that I wouldn't like the feeling of flight. I sat outside instead and ended up talking with a couple from a few towns away from mine!! :

It's good that you won't let anyone talk you into riding something you don't want to ride. I love Soarin' but only ride it once a trip and with my eyes almost closed! I just love the music and the feeling of flying. The momentary dizziness I feel is worth it-once. It doesn't cause the same kind of long-lasting effects that the coasters, ToT, and simulators do- for me. Thanks for starting this thread. Lots of great information! btw, if there is anyone here who has riddent FJ at HP world: I am assuming this is out for me, between my bad back and my vertigo. Am I correct?

The only rides that bother me are Star Tours and tea cups - not the ride itself but when the kids decide to spin the thing 100 mph. I won't ride with them. I've never riden Mission Space. If I get any sort of dizzy sensation on a ride I close my eyes briefly. On The Simpsons ride in CA I had my eyes shut the whole time but rode CA Screamin' with no problem - eyes open.

Not sure how much I trust the motion sickness drugs after taking Bonine and still getting ill on the ferry to Cozumel several years ago.

I suffer from motion sickness, too. I've passed out cold due to my body being overwhelmed by it before. However, my problem is generally being in the back seat of a car or bus without adequate air flow and being unable to see out the front of the vehicle for a long period of time. Heck, the bus ride to the park is sometimes the worst ride for me! :lmao:

Roller coasters do not bother me; in fact, EE is my all-time favorite! The backwards part is short; if it were much longer it might be harder for me to handle. I can't do some simulators like Star Tours or things that go in circles, though, and I won't even attempt Mission:Space or the Teacups. I take non-drowsy Dramamine and I can ride everything else. The trick for me seems to be staying hydrated and keeping something on my stomach. I never tried Sea Bands at WDW but they helped me tremendously for morning sickness during my pregnancy, so I would recommend giving them a try just for some extra back-up nausea prevention. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter