Mother Daughter Duo Trip - Opinions on GCH or DLH Please

ISpyMickeyMouse

Earning My Ears
Hi all! Since my husband is proving not to be too helpful on providing feedback or opinions I thought I'd turn to you

I am surprising my 6 year old in April with a weekend to Disneyland (picking her up from school heading straight to the airport!) The main reason is that she was bummed when I've made mom girls only Dapper Day trips and because I need to see the electrical parade again and it won't be there in October for our Halloween trip So I though that I'd combine lots of wishes in one weekend.

We go about twice a year but we have never been just the two of us. I'm comfortable flying and traveling with her in general. We are going for Spring Dapper Days and are deciding between DLH and GCH. We have stayed at PPH and DLH several times. Love both for different reasons. I'm debating GCH this time since it now seems to be in the security bubble. Since it's just us girls I'm thinking it might be a little safer (less walk, etc). The price difference between the two isn't much with the convention discount ($40/night). However DD obviously loves the DLH and pool and GCH pool will most likely still be closed for refurbishment. But with a quick trip (3 days) there's not a ton of time for swimming. So between these factors (safety bubble, pool and price) I'm neutral on both.

Are there any other factors I'm missing? I completely understand this is a personal opinion but I just thought I'd check to see if anyone had ideas or have been in a similar trip situation.

Thank you to everyone on the boards - I don't post often but I read here almost daily to daydream about Disney and so appreciate all of your commentary, tips and advice!

We're heading down at the same time and did the same debate. In the end, we went with DLH for a few reasons.

1. We have stayed at the GCH and were not too impressed with the size of the room. Also, our room was near the end of the last hallway and that walk was brutal at the end of a long Disney day!

2. DS has only been at the DLH once when he was 6 and he does not remember it so he is excited to stay there.

3. The light up headboards, the classic Disney touches and the larger rooms are big selling points for us.

4. GCH pool construction was a big downside. While we might not swim a lot, I don't want to have to go through another hotel to do so.

5. While this was not a big make or break point, we are staying 5 nights so the extra $40/night equals $200 US and that will go a long way towards a pretty nice birthday dinner at Napa Rose for me!

The walk was never a factor for me so I didn't really take that into consideration especially after our GCH stay. I still assert that our walk from our room there was not much shorter than our walk when we stayed at PPH!

Oh and if you have not done so already, come on and join the April 2017 thread!

Last edited:
My family loves the GHC for the proximity to the parks. If you have a room that is closer to the elevators it is handy to go back for a quick change of clothes after the water rides. We have also found the hotel and grounds to be very peaceful and quiet and enjoy relaxing on the balcony in the hot afternoons. Having said that I agree with the above post that the construction noise is even making us consider the DLH this time.

I prefer DLH, I think kids would find it more fun. The pool is awesome, the whole area is very Disney, Trader Sam's is a lot of fun. I think the GCH is very nice, but the rooms are too small and dark for it to feel like a Disney hotel.

GCH is not in the security bubble. It just has its own entrances. I don't see any personal security advantage to it either. With only two people, the room size probably won't bother you and if you want to try it, now is certainly the time with only two people and such a close price. That said, I think your DD would enjoy DLH a lot more. The price difference is a session at BBB ;)

I think your daughter would enjoy DLH more. We've stayed at both and my girls 9 & 7 both like DLH more. The characters roaming the lobby the pool area and the Disney touches in the room are really magical for the kids

With the construction going on at the Grand I wouldn't want to stay there. I really hate being at a hotel during construction. It just takes away from the vacation vibe for me.

Of course, you'll likely be happy with either choice in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter