Montana and Canada: Glacier and Banff National Parks – August 4-10, 2014

esulerzy

Mouseketeer
Pre-Trip and Sunday, August 3rd

My spouse and I booked this adventure over a year in advance (booking date 7/26/2013). It was a trip to celebrate my 50th birthday. We are DVC owners and have taken a few Disney Cruises but have never taken an Adventure By Disney (ABD) trip.

Because we had limited flights to choose from (Baltimore, MD to Glacier Park International Airport (FCA)), we decided to go a day early. We booked flights, via Delta, on 9/6/2013. We went through Minneapolis/St. Paul. We also made a trip to AAA to buy a ‘cash pak’ – just to have a little Canadian money in our pockets. It cost us $124 and we received $112 in Canadian funds.

I had researched hotels in the area and found The Lodge at Whitefish Lake (http://www.lodgeatwhitefishlake.com/).

This was an expensive choice but well worth it. We booked a lakeview room which was ready at 4 pm. Located just 15 minutes from the airport, they provided free transportation to/from the airport and had a nice lake-view restaurant on site – so no taxis/rental cars necessary. We contacted the concierge desk about two weeks in advance of the reservation to request the shuttle pick us up from the airport and then take us back the next day to meet the tour group. Worked very well for us.

Monday, August 4th – Day 1 – sunny and high 80s
Arrival and welcome dinner

We had a nice relaxing morning at The Lodge and didn’t need to leave for the airport until 1 pm (we had scheduled to meet our Guides at 1:30 pm at the airport). Once we got to the airport, most of the group had arrived. While we waited for a few more folks to arrive, we met our Guides (Mariah and Kaley) and numerous members of the group. In total, we had 31 adults, 2 guides, and 1 bus driver (Paul) – the bus held 57 people so we had lots of room to spread out. Two folks were not able to make the trip at the last minute due to a family emergency. At this point, we turned our luggage over – basically for the rest of the trip! Once everyone arrived, we made our way to the bus, met Paul, and headed to Glacier Park Lodge. We had a 1 hour 45 minute drive to the Lodge and saw some amazing scenery on the way.

On the way, we were asked whether we wanted to raft or float the next day, what we wanted for lunch afterwards (steak, chicken, veggie burger) and what box lunch we wanted on Day 4.

Our guides arranged to get our room keys and our breakfast and dinner vouchers for the next couple of days while we toured the Lodge.
Dinner was at 6 pm in a private room in the Lodge. Beer, wine, water, ice tea, lemonade, coffee, and hot tea were available. The buffet included potato salad, cole slaw, garden salad, corn muffins, vegetable bean soup, salmon, chicken, beef, corn on the cob, and huckleberry crisp for dessert. We had a nice guitar/piano player as entertainment.

SPOILER: We received our lanyards and our first pin during dinner.

About the Lodge – the grounds and views were beautiful. The Lodge was built in 1913 and is very rustic. There is no air conditioning (fans were in each room) and no TVs. There is limited, if any, internet access. Some folks in our group had 4 beds in the room (with no door to the bathroom); others had 3 beds. Be prepared.

Tuesday, August 5th – Day 2 – sunny and high 80s/low 90s
River Rafting, Picnic Lunch; Red Bus Tour; Storytelling; Dinner at leisure

We were up at 5:45 am – breakfast buffet began at 6:30 am and we were to meet in the lobby at 7:30 am.

The buffet consisted of eggs, pancakes, French toast, bacon, biscuits/gravy, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, sausage, and muffins – this was standard breakfast buffet food for most of the trip no matter which hotel we were at.

We ended up with 27 folks rafting; 4 folks took the float trip; and 2 went out hiking on their own. I should note that you always had the option to opt out of any activity. We choose rafting. I did not take my camera on the rafting trip but the guides did as did one gentleman in our raft that was filming the trip. We had 3 rafts of 9 folks each plus a rafting guide. We went through 7-9 rapids on the 8 mile trip; 1 was rated a 3 and the others were rated 2 (on a scale of 5). It was a lot of fun and one bear sighting occurred! The rafting company provided wet suits, jackets, and booties. We were our bathing suits under our clothes and changing rooms were available – we brought a change of clothes as we were not heading back to the Lodge until just before dinner. The water temperature was about 40 degrees so we opted for the wet suits and booties only. After we were finished, we were provided clear plastic bags for our bathing suits and towels to dry off. We always had the bus available to keep clothes backpacks, etc. – it was always locked or our bus driver was with the bus. This was very convenient and occurred throughout the trip.

After rafting, we drove a short distance to the outdoor picnic area of the rafting company who cooked us steaks, chicken, and veggie burgers along with salsa/chips, cookies, water, lemonade, pasta salad, and broccoli salad.

After lunch, it was off to Glacier National Park and our Red Bus Tour.

The views from the Road to the Sun were amazing! We made several stops along the way for photos. Total, it was a 3 hour tour. It was a little hazy due to wildfires that were burning in Washington State – the smoke was drifting over Glacier National Park.

After our spectacular trip to Logan’s Pass, we met up with our bus and had about an hour drive back to the Lodge. Dinner was on our own (but paid for) and included soup or salad, entrée, dessert, non-alcoholic beverage. Lots of huckleberry items on the dessert menu

To be continued in this thread....(and I'll try to add photos when I'm done with the day-to-day reports)

Welcome back! It's great to see you writing a Report! We haven't had a current report on this trip in a while.

Looking forward to more of your Report!

Sayhello

Lunch at Prince of Wales Hotel

Entering Canada

One view from Going to the Sun Road; Glacier National Park

Beautiful scenery! I've always wondered what this trip would be like. One of our guides on our Southwest ABD a few years ago had also guided the Montana/Banff trip and talked about how much she loved it. We've been to Banff/Lake Louise in winter, but I've always wanted to see it in summertime. Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report!

Thank you Esulerzy for those beautiful pictures. Happy Birthday also.:) We did this trip a few years ago and loved it. Unfortunately we were unable to drive the Road to the Sun for it was still under 15 feet of snow at the end of June. Looking forward to more of your great review so I can relive our trip. :thumbsup2

Wednesday, August 6th – Day 3 – sunny and high 80s/low 90s

Drive to Canada; Lunch at Prince of Wales Hotel; Ride to Lake Louise

Today was the longest of the trip – mostly spent in the bus heading to our next destination/lodging: The Fairmont Chateau, Lake Louise.

We were up at 6:45 am and needed to have our luggage outside our rooms by 7:30 am. Bus was leaving for Canada at 8:30 am. Today, we had to ensure we had our passports on the bus since we would be crossing the border in about 2 hours. The US/Canadian Border was our first. Our Guides gathered all the passports ahead of time and the border crossing went very smooth. While we waited for each passport to be scanned, we took a restroom break and photos.

We had a bear sighting just as we pulled into the entrance to the Prince of Wales Hotel for lunch! While our Guides checked us in for lunch, we got a tour of the hotel from a staff member; took photos; visited the gift shop; and of course, took a restroom break. Lunch was off a menu and was very good.
I learned a nice trick with my camera – use the “sports” setting for photos from the moving bus – worked great and I got many more photos using this setting.

After lunch, we had another 2 hour bus ride until our next stop but it went quickly because we divided the bus right down the middle and played Jeopardy.

A restroom break was taken at the Bar U Ranch – just a quick 15-20 minutes but it felt good to stretch our legs. We got to our hotel at around 7pm and dinner was at 7:30 pm. It was served family style and fabulous, as usual.

Tip for this day – wear very comfortable clothing as you are sitting for a very long time!

Thursday, August 7th – Day 4 – sunny and high 80s/low 90s

Canoeing at Moraine Lake; Box lunch at Lake Louise; free time; assigned dining room and dining partners

We got to sleep in a little today – didn’t have to be at the bus until 9 am for the short drive to Moraine Lake for canoeing. Breakfast was a similar buffet but did include an omelet station.

I must say, as beautiful as Lake Louise was when we arrived the previous evening, Moraine Lake was twice as gorgeous (to me). This was my favorite. We wore tee shirts and shorts for canoeing as we had the same perfect weather following us. Canoeing was an hour and if you made it to the far end of the lake you were rewarded with several beautiful waterfalls.

After canoeing, we hopped back on the bus to return to Lake Louise for our box lunch. Remember those sandwiches we had to decide upon the first day? Well, we were going to eat them today. We both ordered the ham and cheese sandwich and they were huge! The box lunch also included cheese and crackers, an apple, a brownie, and a bottled water. Never say Disney doesn’t feed you on this trip – which reminds me, during bus rides we had several snacks available to us.

After lunch, several hikes were options (one Guide took a group to the tea house; another took folks on the other side of the Lake for a not quite as challenging hike). We choose to “self-hike” and walk to the other end of Lake Louise to get some photos looking back towards the hotel. It was a very flat hike with one hill towards the end. Some folks in our group used this time to go to the spa for massages.

Dinner was a little different tonight – we were assigned a dining room to eat in (there were many in this hotel) and dining partners to eat with. The Guides were watching closely up to this point to see who was hanging out with whom and assigned us perfectly. I should mention that most of our group did not have hot water during our showers this morning – due to an issue hotel-wide. Although it was fixed quickly, our Guides got wind of it and arranged for our first drinks at dinner to be on Uncle Walt. A nice touch and completely not necessary but we couldn’t refuse – wine and champagne all around!

Spoiler alert: We have gotten several pins since our welcoming dinner – basically, one a day that represents the main activity of the day.

Friday, August 8th – Day 5 – sunny and mid 80s

Columbia Icefield; Lunch at Columbia Icefield Restaurant; drive to The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel; dinner on our own

Another early morning! Bags were to be placed outside our rooms by 6:30 am; we were boarding the bus for the icefields at 8 am. It was about a 2 hour drive to the icefields. Once there, you board a bus that takes you to another boarding area – that puts you on the vehicles that take you onto the ice. Once on the ice, we spent 20 minutes on the glacier. We did wear shorts (the only ones in our group) and a sweater – we were chilly. Most folks wore jeans or some type of long pants and jackets. It is ice after all!

Note: this was a slight change in itinerary since the usual tour eats first and then goes out on the ice. Our Guides, with their experience at this stop, decided to change that as it gets very crowded in the restaurant and on the ice. Going earlier worked out great and both Guides mentioned they would request a permanent change through Disney.

Walking on the glacier was a great experience but little different from when I walked on a glacier in Alaska – this icefield was slushy (Alaska was smooth) – which seemed to make it more slippery. They did have cones in places so you didn’t wander very far (and fall in).

The restaurant at the icefields was a Chinese buffet – our Guides did warn us of this and some folks requested an alternative – the Guides arranged for sandwiches. The buffet was actually very good.

Back on the bus for the ride to Banff; we made 3 stops – 2 for quick photos and 1 at the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge for a restroom break. Paul, our bus driver, and Banff resident, provided some excellent commentary during the drive (and our Guides provided more snacks).

Have I mentioned the Guides acted as our PhotoPass Photograghers the entire trip! We did get a code to use to see the photographs when we got home.

We got to Banff around 5:15 pm and were on our own for dinner. We decided to eat at Grapes The Wine Bar (inside the hotel). We were trying to taste Canadian wines on this trip as we don’t normally get them in Maryland. Had two great ones here – that perfectly complimented the cheese fondue and meat plate. It was a lovely, relaxing evening.

Saturday, August 9th – Day 6 – sunny and mid 80s

Bike Ride along Bow River; Lunch on our own; Banff Gondola Visit; Farewell Dinner

This day started out chilly – 38 degrees! We finally broke out the long pants for our bike ride. We met the bus at 8:15 am for our ride into town.

The bike ride itself was relatively flat – just 3 small hills. We did make 3 stops one of which requires walking down steep steps – however, it was worth it as great waterfall views awaited us. We also made a stop at the Gardens (which included a restroom break). All-in-all, it was an easy ride.

We got back to town around 10:45 am and had until 1:15 pm to shop and get some lunch. Most folks on the tour were extremely anxious to get to Banff. My opinion was it was a nice little town (and probably beautiful in the winter) but most shops were either very high end or very low end souvenirs – not much in between. Most lunch places opened at 11 am and we opted to eat at the Old Spaghetti Factory – which was very good.

On to the gondola! The ride over was quick and we took another restroom break and browsed the gift shop while our Guides got the tickets. Warning - it is a steep ride so if you are afraid of heights this is your warning. I loved it. The gondola holds 4 adults comfortably and takes about 8 minutes to get to the top. Views are incredible and there are restrooms and snack/ice cream shops at the top. There is also several hikes available at the top, if you have time. We returned to the bus by 3:30 for a quick (less than 2 minutes) ride to the hot springs. Surprisingly, most folks opted out of the hot springs (you have to pack you bag for this at the start of the day since we never returned to the hotel during the day). I think, by this time, most folks were tired from the early mornings and higher altitudes. Only about 7 folks went; the rest of us stayed on the bus for Paul to drop us back at the hotel (2 opted to go back into town).

Our farewell dinner was at 7 pm that evening so we had time for a nap and to pack up suitcases. We had a nice buffet with chicken, salmon, and various sides. Wine and beer were included in this meal. A retired Mountie came to talk to us and pose for photos and we had a nice slide show of some of the photos the Guides had taken throughout the trip. It was a wonderful dinner filled with hugs and tears. It’s amazing how this group became friends so quickly.

Sunday, August 10th – Day 7 – sunny and mid 80s

Breakfast and transfer to airport

Ugh, the dreaded day to leave! Luggage outside rooms by 7:30 am and we needed to be at the bus by 8:45 am – they gauge the time based on the earliest flight. It’s a 2 hour drive to Calgary and as our flight was not until 2:30 pm we had plenty of time to get through customs and have a relaxing lunch at the airport – one final meal with a few folks that were on our flight through MN.

Spoiler: We ended up with 8 pins on this trip (oh, and I forgot to mention the duffle bag they gave us the first night).

Miscellaneous items

We took a small umbrella, rain coat with hood, and waterproof pants but didn’t need them.

Going a day early made the trip much less stressful.

One couple arrived the first day missing their luggage – the folks at the Rafting Company offered to go to the airport and get it for them – very nice gesture! They got essentials for the first night from Uncle Mickey - another reason to go a day early if you are traveling from the East coast of the US.

Canadian wine is very good – we ended up bringing 4 bottles of our favorite home with us. We used wine diaper bags that I had brought from home and had no trouble checking them in the suitcase.

Getting a small amount of Canadian money before the trip was very helpful for a cup of tea or postcard.

I tried to give an overview of the trip to encourage others to consider it! The mountains are beautiful and well worth it! If you have specific questions or want to see more photos (we took over 2,000 + the ones our Guides took) please let me know. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Wow that brings back memories... My wife and I worked at Many Glacier Hotel in the summer of 1997. Had only been married for a month- quite the adventure! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter