Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the forum-

Would you stay at a monorail resort (Polynesian, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian) if the monorail service was shut down? Let's say the prices stayed the same for each resort. You would also have to take the boat/ferry/bus to get to the other parks.

Thanks!
Brunette

Nope - not unless the price dropped to say just above a moderate and just below the WL

If you paid normal price for a First Class flight to Tokyo, but they decided that, as soon as you passed Hawaii, you were going to have to sit in Economy class, would you be happy?

You'd actually be fine -- U.S. flights to Tokyo don't pass over Hawaii, so you'd never have to move to economy class.

Question for the forum-

Would you stay at a monorail resort (Polynesian, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian) if the monorail service was shut down? Let's say the prices stayed the same for each resort. You would also have to take the boat/ferry/bus to get to the other parks.

Thanks!
Brunette

No. The Poly has theming I like, but not enough to pay that high of a price when there are alternatives that I would enjoy just as much as lower prices.

I have stayed at the CR before (back when it was only the Poly, CR or camping on site) but never at the Poly. Of course, back then, the monorail was clearly for the resorts. You could also stay at the affiliated hotels at what was then simply called Lake Buena Vista and ride a bus or drive. Even with the monorail I still don't know if I would pay for the Poly, but the CR would be a real possibility.

Wow...a Baghdad Bob/Comical Ali reference! NOW this thread really does have it all.

I would never stay at the pricey deluxe monorail resorts if they didn't run!Heck if you can change to bus service and call it equal to monorail service I guess all the disney resorts should raise there prices and call themselves deluxe.It's a definite cutback no queestion about it.

Hmm. So I guess the majority of the Fantasyland expansion is really just "changes" not updates/upgrades/whatever? I mean they are closing certain things and replacing them with others. And if let's say AKL got a version of a monorail to AK to replace bus service, this too would be a change not an upgrade, correct?

Or does this logic only work for cutbacks (pardon me, negative changes)?

Sums it up 100%!!!!! Totally Agree with you.....

Replacing the monorail with a bus by definition is a Cutback of the monorail service... Please explain to me how your logic gets around this simple reality. If its NOT there for you to ride and it was before at the same time period then its service is "cutback"!!

07-minister.jpg
"Please, there is absolutely NO cutback in our Monorail service....None what so ever!"

Baghdad BOB! THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

very unlikely....

we went to disneyland in october of 2006 and stayed at the disneyland hotel- the entire monorail system was shut down at disneyland while we were there for repair and maintenance- a definite downer but these things need to be done....and when they are done they are usually done during the slower time of the year for the business...

were they to reduce monorail service during a slow time of year at WDW for maintenance or even to save a few $$$ it would be acceptable- but to do so in the summer when the parks are always busy and to pinch the people staying at your most expensive hotels is just wrong....

Hi Zeppelin-

I agree. People "pay" for the monorail service while staying at these resorts.

My answer also is No, I would not stay at a monorail resort if the monorail was not running. Now if they lowered their prices close to the WL/AKL price point, then yeah I would. :wizard:

I would never stay at the pricey deluxe monorail resorts if they didn't run!Heck if you can change to bus service and call it equal to monorail service I guess all the disney resorts should raise there prices and call themselves deluxe.It's a definite cutback no queestion about it.

It's not a glitch--it's a feature! :rotfl:

Cafeen:

I will respond to this, as it is what I have always hoped for in discussing differences with other members on issues important to all of us.

Let me respectfully say, I disagree with you. However, your last well thought out response to me was pondered a bit before I decided to respond, which I am now doing. While I disagree with you, I am certain, you and I have little more to support our point's of view than our own intuition and experiences. Knowing Disney the way I do, I am skeptical.

My DH and I, have been Disney Fans for many years. We have watched the changes take place and are unhappy about most of them. For example, the "holiday pricing" in premium restaurants is the vehicle they use to raise the prices overall. Like, in 2005, the price of Boma Buffet was $26.95/person. They increased it to $32.95 for holiday pricing. Then, they changed it to $28.95 regular. Every year, they do this. Boma Buffet is now $40.00 holiday and $36.95 regular. They change the prices so frequently, you don't notice that they've actually raised their rates 30% over 6 years! Not only that, but holiday pricing is in effect for the entire summer where it used to be only the 3 major holidays.

Sorry to go off topic... but it is relevant to this discussion.

Cafeen, I do not argue with you to prove myself correct or you wrong. I argue with you because I see how things go with Disney and I am skeptical of just one more policy change that we feel, takes away from the Disney Magic!

I do consider your suggestions and your respectful response to me was thought through. Enough so, that I will take you up on your offer to wait and see what happens when this policy takes effect. Believe me, I want YOU to be correct!

My skepticism however, holds me back. Tell you what, whoever is wrong, will buy whoever is right a Dole Whip at the Polynesian on our next visit!!:woohoo:

Hey, at least we can't lose there, can we??

And just for the record, I don't mind disagreeing with people, we all have individual minds that think for ourselves! But more than anything else, we are ALL entitled to our own opinions and have a right to express them, respectfully!

That said, we may end up having to agree to disagree on this one....

but....

I still wish you to have a "magical day"!! :wizard:

I just wanted to say that I thought this was a nice post. Although I don't agree with all of your opinions, I respect them. I got caught up in the sarcasm earlier in this thread and it was ugly. I wish more people would post like this (including myself) and keep things respectful even if we disagree.

Question for the forum-

Thanks!
Brunette

First, I think this question is a red herring. It takes away from the discussion regarding the current monorail scale-backs being implemented by Disney. Disney is NOT taking away the monorail altogether.

That said, I understand this is a purely hypothetical question. IF Disney did away with the monorail altogether it would be a very sad day indeed. Would I continue to stay at BLT (or another MK area resort)? Yes. The reason why is that I believe it would be more like the Epcot area resorts. At BLT, I could walk to the MK or take one of the Friendship boats to the MK as I assume Disney would have to greatly increase the boat options to the MK from the TTC and each of the resorts. I would still want to be close to the MK versus another theme park. Location is one of the main reasons we don't stay at the AKL anymore.

So many talk about how much more expensive the MK resorts are, but compared to the Epcot area resorts - especially the BC/YC, are they really that much more? The CR is often a lot less expensive than the BC/YC. And the CR standard view garden wing rooms are often less expensive than the WL or AKL view rooms.

Question for the forum-

Thanks!
Brunette

Nope, definitely wouldn't. Even with the added ambiance of being able to see the MK from certain areas of the resort, I couldn't personally justify it when I can stay elsewhere with similar options, and cheaper. The only reason we are able to do my mom's dream stay at the Poly last year was that we got a PIN for 40% off. The prices for the MK resorts with monorail access (PC enough for everyone? :goodvibes ) are outrageous enough, and without the monorail, I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'd reschedule my trip until it was back up and running, or stay elsewhere.

:hippie:

I am really bummed about this. They provide EMH as a benefit to those that stay onsite but then take away the transportation option for EMH to those that want to pay more to stay at a monorail resort. I was looking at prices for Aulani vs. Poly and they were the same price per night at almost $500. A lot of it is about location but hands down the reason we like to stay at the Poly is the monorail. We pay that extra (and it is a LOT extra) per night for that benefit. I'm disappointed and hope they change this back.

I just wanted to say that I thought this was a nice post. Although I don't agree with all of your opinions, I respect them. I got caught up in the sarcasm earlier in this thread and it was ugly. I wish more people would post like this (including myself) and keep things respectful even if we disagree.

Hi KSDisneyDad! Oh gosh, thank you. I agree a lot of us get caught up in the moment. Sometimes we do get emotional. Sometimes I have to come back the next day to respond appropriatately, like I did earlier in my regards to Cafeen. But thanks so much for your kind response. I too think you are a nice person, even though we may not agree on some things.

First, I think this question is a red herring. It takes away from the discussion regarding the current monorail scale-backs being implemented by Disney. Disney is NOT taking away the monorail altogether.

That said, I understand this is a purely hypothetical question. IF Disney did away with the monorail altogether it would be a very sad day indeed. Would I continue to stay at BLT (or another MK area resort)? Yes. The reason why is that I believe it would be more like the Epcot area resorts. At BLT, I could walk to the MK or take one of the Friendship boats to the MK as I assume Disney would have to greatly increase the boat options to the MK from the TTC and each of the resorts. I would still want to be close to the MK versus another theme park. Location is one of the main reasons we don't stay at the AKL anymore.

So many talk about how much more expensive the MK resorts are, but compared to the Epcot area resorts - especially the BC/YC, are they really that much more? The CR is often a lot less expensive than the BC/YC. And the CR standard view garden wing rooms are often less expensive than the WL or AKL view rooms.

Yeah, I understand that it's not part of the original query, and I don't mean to take away away from that. I was just wondering who would pay those prices at the 4 hotels that are on the monorail line. The monorail transportation is a very cool feature though. It's much better than the bus or even ferry, I think.

Thanks KSDIsneyDad!

Brunette:wizard:

Sums it up 100%!!!!! Totally Agree with you.....

Replacing the monorail with a bus by definition is a Cutback of the monorail service... Please explain to me how your logic gets around this simple reality. If its NOT there for you to ride and it was before at the same time period then its service is "cutback"!!
It's a change in the type of transportation, and for most of the hours the parks are open, the monorails will be running. It's unfortunate that people staying in the Magic Kingdom-area resorts aren't willing to tolerate buses for five or ten minutes, two or three nights.

I didn't say pass *over.* I said pass, so your sarcasm doesn't work.

Wasn't sarcasm -- was a statement of fact. It's like saying you get bumped to economy class on a flight from New York to Florida when the plane passes New Mexico. Or on a flight from Boston to Seattle when the plane passes Texas.

It's a change in the type of transportation, and for most of the hours the parks are open, the monorails will be running. It's unfortunate that people staying in the Magic Kingdom-area resorts aren't willing to tolerate buses for five or ten minutes, two or three nights.

In November this affects each 7 out of 8 nights for my trip. I can tolerate taking a bus. I do it for AK and HS. What I can't tolerate is having to wait in line with hundreds of others to take a bus that might have to wait one or two times for (depedning on how long lines will be) when I easily walk up the monorail ramp, hop on the monorail (either at EP or MK).

When paying these rates that people do at a deluxe monorail resort, I expect a monorail access as I'm sure others do.

Kaytieeldr-

With all due respect this is a cutback. If I were planning a wedding and I paid for a limosine to take me from the church to the reception, and they (the corporate owners) said, "Oh we have a change in transportation, instead of the limo that you paid for, it is now going to be a minivan. This is certainly a "cut back" and a "downgrade change" in service, and it will get me from point A to point B. But, I paid for a limo not a minivan. Personally I would not be a very happy customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter