Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or worse. To get from the Poly to the GF, I'd have to go from the Poly (in the opposite direction of where I want to go) to the TTC, only to then have to backtrack to the GF?

And to go from the GF to the Poly I would have to board a bus that goes past the Poly to get to the TTC, and then board a second bus to backtrack to get to the Poly?

JimmieV, There is really no need to board a bus from Poly to TTC or TTC to Poly. It's about a 3 minute walk... Some rooms at the Poly are closer to the TTC than the Poly Monorail station or bus stop.

Why would they continue to operate the Epcot trains until 10 PM if they shut down the Resort run at 8PM?

Well, they did already admit they didn't think through the party thing. So maybe they didn't think this part through either........

LMAO!!! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything, I'd have spit it all over my computer screen...

You really do have a way to spin EVERYTHING to be positive don't you?
Do you have an issue with positive thinking overall? That wasn't a defense-of-WDW statement, it was a simple fact. Much of the attitude on this thread is so doom & gloom, I just thought it would be nice to point out the world isn't ending.

JimmieV, There is really no need to board a bus from Poly to TTC or TTC to Poly. It's about a 3 minute walk... Some rooms at the Poly are closer to the TTC than the Poly Monorail station or bus stop.

Well, some rooms are and some aren't. Last time I stayed at the Poly, I was in the long house closest to the GF. That's quite a walk from the TTC. But the real point is, why should a bus go from the GF to the TTC withouth FIRST stopping at the Poly on the way. For heaven's sake, you're driving right past it!

I agree with the PPs who commented that you really don't want to tick off your higher end clientele. They may be in the minority numbers-wise, but not in the "profit per guest" column. Making people walk from resort to resort while they are dressed for dinner or a reception at the GF conference center is not a good idea. I am not saying that they have to run monorails for this small number of people. But there is no good reason why Disney cannot run a few shuttle buses (like the ones rental car companies and parking services at airports use) around in a circuit stopping at every resort, door to door. Let's not forget. I can stay at the Dolphin and take one of their limos door to door to Victoria & Albert's for less $$$ than I can spend to stay at the Contemporary or Poly and have to bus back and forth to the TTC, with a few hot and humid walks thrown in for good measure.

Well, some rooms are and some aren't. Last time I stayed at the Poly, I was in the long house closest to the GF. That's quite a walk from the TTC. But the real point is, why should a bus go from the GF to the TTC withouth FIRST stopping at the Poly on the way. For heaven's sake, you're driving right past it!

I agree with the PPs who commented that you really don't want to tick off your higher end clientele. They may be in the minority numbers-wise, but not in the "profit per guest" column. Making people walk from resort to resort while they are dressed for dinner or a reception at the GF conference center is not a good idea. I am not saying that they have to run monorails for this small number of people. But there is no good reason why Disney cannot run a few shuttle buses (like the ones rental car companies and parking services at airports use) around in a circuit stopping at every resort, door to door. Let's not forget. I can stay at the Dolphin and take one of their limos door to door to Victoria & Albert's for less $$$ than I can spend to stay at the Contemporary or Poly and have to bus back and forth to the TTC, with a few hot and humid walks thrown in for good measure.

You make some good points, and the length of the walk is in the eye of the beholder anyway. It's a short walk from Shades of Green to the Poly, one idyllic morning we took that peaceful walk...coming from a colder climate with zero humidity and were in tatters by the time we got there. Rest of the time we waited for a bus to TTC. I cant imagine the shock of doing this in nice clothes for an evening out for anyone not used to the conditions, let alone those that paid to avoid such an inconvenience.

JimmyV said:
But the real point is, why should a bus go from the GF to the TTC withouth FIRST stopping at the Poly on the way. For heaven's sake, you're driving right past it!
The turn the bus has to make is too sharp to maneuver safely.

Go ask on the Transportation Board (before anybody asks how I 'know'; that's how)

Is it your the recession hasn't enabled people to understand cutbacks or small inconveniences?

Ah..but we are discussing Disney's recession.;) Supposedly, they are still making loads, guests still coming in droves.. even with the tiny cutbacks and small inconveniences.

The turn the bus has to make is too sharp to maneuver safely.

Sometimes it is hard to know when you are being serious.

Go to Google maps. Go to the "street view". You will see that there is a dedicated left turn lane where Floridian Way meets Polynesian Drive. You mean to tell me that a shuttle van, (not a full-blown bus) cannot navigate that left turn?

Hey guys guess what?! I heard that the MK is now going to close at 5, but don't worry, MK isn't closing early, it's just not open as late! Oh, and tickets are now $150 a day, but keep smiling guys, they aren't more expensive then before, they just aren't as cheap! :lmao:

(Kaytieeldr, I think with an attitude that positive, you have a bright future as a CM :goodvibes)

Sometimes it is hard to know when you are being serious.

Go to Google maps. Go to the "street view". You will see that there is a dedicated left turn lane where Floridian Way meets Polynesian Drive. You mean to tell me that a shuttle van, (not a full-blown bus) cannot navigate that left turn?
I'm sorry. I originally missed where you suggested shuttles, and was thinking buses.

Your idea would work. Each resort already has one or more passenger vans; there's no reason a couple of bus drivers or resort-specific CMs couldn't be reassigned to this three resort loop.

eta: I've been serious throughout most of this thread. I laugh, smile, or wink when I'm joking.

I'm sorry. I originally missed where you suggested shuttles, and was thinking buses.

Your idea would work. Each resort already has one or more passenger vans; there's no reason a couple of bus drivers or resort-specific CMs couldn't be reassigned to this three resort loop.

Sorry. Didn't mean to jump on you.

And if this IS a 'more or less' permanent change, it should take a road crew all of four hours to fix whatever intersections are currently tough for buses to navigate. (OK. I know that we are in the USA where road crews have to lean on their shovels for 6 hours a day...so maybe it would take 2 weeks.) Either way, some very modest changes to the roads would allow buses to replicate the resort monorail run with no trouble at all.

Ah..but we are discussing Disney's recession.;) Supposedly, they are still making loads, guests still coming in droves.. even with the tiny cutbacks and small inconveniences.
Most people who visit Walt Disney World live in the real world (although I did hear a radio interview a year or two back with a man who claimed to have been at various properties onsite for eight months). If, as reported elsewhere in this thread, the majority of visitors are first-timers, those people won't even miss a service they never knew existed.

This isn't even a cutback. It's a change. You take a boat or bus instead of a boat or monorail - for the time being, up to three hours two nights a week. That's the included transportation. There's always the taxi option for people who loathe change.

Sorry. Didn't mean to jump on you.

And if this IS a 'more or less' permanent change, it should take a road crew all of four hours to fix whatever intersections are currently tough for buses to navigate. (OK. I know that we are in the USA where road crews have to lean on their shovels for 6 hours a day...so maybe it would take 2 weeks.) Either way, some very modest changes to the roads would allow buses to replicate the resort monorail run with no trouble at all.
No, you didn't jump on me; I didn't thoroughly read your other post.

The shuttle idea would work (well, as long as guests were okay with waiting for a full load and not demanding personal service :)). That tight turn problem has always been a problem. Sure, it's something Disney should - likely must - fix, especially if they plan to rely less on the monorail. They haven't before because, apparently, it hasn't been necessary.

Most people who visit Walt Disney World live in the real world (although I did hear a radio interview a year or two back with a man who claimed to have been at various properties onsite for eight months). If, as reported elsewhere in this thread, the majority of visitors are first-timers, those people won't even miss a service they never knew existed.

This isn't even a cutback. It's a change. You take a boat or bus instead of a boat or monorail - for the time being, up to three hours two nights a week. That's the included transportation. There's always the taxi option for people who loathe change.

It's a cutback and a major change. I pay for a monorail resort that is what I should get. Not a "once a while monorail depending on if you plan your nights and meals correctly" monorail.

This affects every night of my trip since MK closes at either 7pm or 8pm and EP is opened until 9pm. So, don't say it only affects a few nights. Each person's vacation is different.

And why should I have to pay for cab for conveniece when I ALREADY paid for a monorail resort! That's why I pay to be on the monorail ease and conveniece.

I don't loathe change. I just think it's unfair to people who pay for a monorail hotel and can't even take advantage of it.

It's Disney being cheap!

While in general I agree with the above, the bold is very possible going to be the MK EMH 3 hours two nights a week, but also MK parties 3 hours 3 to 4 nights a week, and EPCOT returns 2 1/2 hours 3 to 4 nights a week. That's an increase of your 6 hours a week, to 22 to 28 hours a week.

Still not the end of the world obviously, and may not happen-its still being decided, but may as well include what is being discussed, in this discussion IMO.

It's a cutback and a major change. I pay for a monorail resort that is what I should get. Not a "once a while monorail depending on if you plan your nights and meals correctly" monorail.

This affects every night of my trip since MK closes at either 7pm or 8pm and EP is opened until 9pm. So, don't say it only affects a few nights. Each person's vacation is different.

And why should I have to pay for cab for conveniece when I ALREADY paid for a monorail resort! That's why I pay to be on the monorail ease and conveniece.

I don't loathe change. I just think it's unfair to people who pay for a monorail hotel and can't even take advantage of it.

It's Disney being cheap!

I don't argue with my kids when they are throwing a temper tantrum, so I'll not respond with my counterpoints yet again.

This whole thread is becoming quite amusing with the same dozen or so posters. I admire kaytieeldr for her not letting the posters here get her down. I compared many of the repeat posters here to those on the Disney going downhill gripe session thread and "shock", it's many of the same usual suspects. Again, it's all about attitude. I'm not even going to try to explain this as a positive change as it's not. But I do believe that you either have to try to make a difference or chose whether or not to deal with it maturely. IMO, it's beyond any point of reasonable discussion for many (but I haven't lost all hope - there seem to be some that are quite reasonable on this thread).

Can't we just justify everything away as a change then instead of a cutback? Disney didn't cutback on merchandise, they just changed it, you can still buy merchandise at a different quality level. Disney didn't cutback on food, they just changed it, you can still eat just not the same variety as before.

And can I just point out, you seem to be running on the assumption that parties will not affect the monorails, which leads you to much less downtime then if you believe the parties will affect them. They are both assumptions, yes, but if they do close for the parties (which for all we know is just as likely as your scenario), Monorails have the potential to be "not run as late" for most nights in a week.

I don't argue with my kids when they are throwing a temper tantrum, so I'll not respond with my counterpoints yet again.

This whole thread is becoming quite amusing with the same dozen or so posters. I admire kaytieeldr for her not letting the posters here get her down. I compared many of the repeat posters here to those on the Disney going downhill gripe session thread and "shock", it's many of the same usual suspects. Again, it's all about attitude. I'm not even going to try to explain this as a positive change as it's not. But I do believe that you either have to try to make a difference or chose whether or not to deal with it maturely. IMO, it's beyond any point of reasonable discussion for many (but I haven't lost all hope - there seem to be some that are quite reasonable on this thread).

So comments like the one I bolded above are okay, but other people are not being mature or reasonable? :lmao:

morethananyonex said:
And can I just point out, you seem to be running on the assumption that parties will not affect the monorails,
Absolutely. I'm basing that assumption on the personal (vs canned) two thread participants have gotten saying that a final decision hasn't been made on the party nights - despite the original announcement.

jade1 said:
While in general I agree with the above, the bold is very possible going to be the MK EMH 3 hours two nights a week, but also MK parties 3 hours 3 to 4 nights a week, and EPCOT returns 2 1/2 hours 3 to 4 nights a week. That's an increase of your 6 hours a week, to 22 to 28 hours a week.
Few people have mentioned Epcot, and fewer have been concerned by the combined change in service hours :). Good catch. Frankly, though, guests returning to monorail resorts from Epcot will now be able to go directly to the resort by bus - not have to transfer at the TTC and, in the case of the CR/BLT, ride 3/4 of the way around the resorts loop with multiple stops before finally reaching their resort.

Somebody a bit above was unhappy because they like to take the monorail from MK to Epcot and walk through Epcot to get to their resort? Okay, that person will still have options:
bus from MK to Epcot, walk through the park
ferry from MK to TTC, monorail to Epcot, walk
bus from MK directly to resort
And that's all assuming they're at the MK on a night when it closes to the general public an hour or more before Epcot closes.

So my opinions and my views on my vacation don't count? I'm not throwing a tantrum, I'm stating my opinion and facts for my vacation only! For me, this change affects my vacations (and I'm sure others too).

I get it, the boards are for only those with righteous opinions. :worship:

Sorry I posted...I let you continue on with what is so wonderful about this change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter