Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm there in November every single night will be effected for me because MK closes at either 7pm or 8pm. EP at 9pm. Doesn't look like I have much of choice do I?

Nope, I noticed that as well-many/most nights coming up this will happen.

There's no reliable way to know this. The only way Disney "profits" from it is in keeping people staying on-site. So the only way to quantify would be with those opinion polls people have been taking.

I agree. For us the kids are now older so we are out late at night and sleep in. Late nights are what we like about WDW, and a big reason we go there-esp older kids. Start shutting down everything early and our group size will deminish to less and less. Not sure how many are like us though, so I can't say if it makes sense or not. We also do most or all of our shopping late at night, just seem to have more available time then.

I agree. For us the kids are now older so we are out late at night and sleep in. Late nights are what we like about WDW, and a big reason we go there-esp older kids. Start shutting down everything early and our group size will deminish to less and less. Not sure how many are like us though, so I can't say if it makes sense or not. We also do most or all of our shopping late at night, just seem to have more available time then.
We also stay on site for EMH. Right now, I have an AP so we wouldn't pay for parking. We rent a car so DME isn't an issue. We don't do the dining plan. I really have no other reason to stay on site if not for EMH, and in our case, late EMH (particularly in the off-season when we go). Even if we did pay for parking, we could rent somewhere significantly cheaper and save money anyway.

We also stay on site for EMH. Right now, I have an AP so we wouldn't pay for parking. We rent a car so DME isn't an issue. We don't do the dining plan. I really have no other reason to stay on site if not for EMH, and in our case, late EMH (particularly in the off-season when we go). Even if we did pay for parking, we could rent somewhere significantly cheaper and save money anyway.

The only demise of evening EMH has just been speculation based on recent changes (removal of characters, survey questions and the cut-back on monorail service). I'm sure it's being considered, but you never know what will replace it, if anything. But I do agree that any changes to on-site perks are going to affect some guests.

Nope, I noticed that as well-many/most nights coming up this will happen.

I can't see that they would continue to operate the Epcot Monorail until 10PM, if the Resort Monorails are shut down at 8 or 9PM.
What would be the point?

The Resort Monorail timing has yet to be determined, AFAIK.

I truly understand this line of reasoning. I agree that it is very disappointing and frustrating.

On our last stay at BLT last month, we took the monorail to Epcot one day. We found it actually quite slow compared to driving. When we returned to Epcot later in the week, we drove to save time. For us, monorail transportation is uniquely Disney, but it is not necessarily efficient by any means.

I'm with you there, we did the same thing last month. Driving to me is the easiest way to go to Epcot. The novelty of the monorail is fine, but as a regular means of transportation, it's not that fast. The resort loop to the magic kingdom can be very slow also, between delays and sitting at the resorts waiting for people to move their butts and board already. :bored:

From BLT we walk to MK, to EPCOT we drive. That's why even though I just bought into DVC at a Monorail resort, it's not that big a deal to me.
Car solves a lot of problems. ;)

TriSeb°o°;41879477 said:
A follow up to my previous post #1381… I am again a satisfied customer in receiving a call back from XXX and allowed for as many question as I had. I took advantage and brought up the following topics which received the responses noted (both summarized since I didn’t have a recording to transcribe):

- Special Event Parties: XXX indicated that a decision has not been made or that the information has not been provided. That I would receive a follow up email/call
- Weather Issues/Ferries: XXX indicated that an action plan is being finalized to determine how to best handle inclement weather as this is a real issue. However, more than likely it will entail additional buses.
- Hopping between Magic Kingdom resorts after Monorails stop operating: XXX indicated that a decision has not been made or that the information has not been provided. That I would receive a follow up email/call
- Maintenance, Is this the real reason or a smoke screen to wind down EMH (yes, I asked): XXX indicated that the “Monorail System” maintenance was indeed behind the operational changes
- Indefinite or permanent: XXX indicated that currently the goal is to keep the new operation hours until the maintenance work is complete (no ETA).

Again, I trust this is on topic and helps those that are contemplating their next move.

I'm glad you got a response to some of our questions, but am I to understand that they haven't decided what they are doing for hopping between monorail resorts yet? They implemented the new schedule on 7/11. How can they implement something without thinking about every possible scenario? There are currently guests staying at the monorail resorts - how are they getting to late adrs at the monorail resorts? It doesn't sound very Disney to me - usually they have everything worked out ahead of time.

The inclement weather statement really blows me away. Did they think they would have perfect weather the entire time they were working on the monorail? How could they not have a finalized plan before starting with this new monorail schedule?

I'm glad you got a response to some of our questions, but am I to understand that they haven't decided what they are doing for hopping between monorail resorts yet? They implemented the new schedule on 7/11. How can they implement something without thinking about every possible scenario? There are currently guests staying at the monorail resorts - how are they getting to late adrs at the monorail resorts? It doesn't sound very Disney to me - usually they have everything worked out ahead of time.

They have only implemented the Epcot Monorail schedule change so far (as far as I know...did anyone report in about it?) The MK side is not affected until August 1st.

They have only implemented the Epcot Monorail schedule change so far (as far as I know...did anyone report in about it?) The MK side is not affected until August 1st.

That makes more sense. I thought they had already implemented the entire schedule change.

So many here have been critical of those who don't like the change, saying "why are you whining? If you don't like it, put your money where your mouth is..... that sort of thing".

So the PP doesn't like it, and says they're putting their money where their mouth is....... downgrading to another resort......... and that's apparently not right?

If they aren't getting the full value of the price of a monorail resort and don't like it, it seems that paying for a less expensive resort is the smart move.

Why criticize? They're doing what's right for them.

I am not criticizing at all! I'm just saying that if the reason you stay at a monorail resort is the convenience of the monorail, why give that up totally when you are loosing it for a short period of time?

As I said before, I get being disappointed, and said I would be too. Not sure how that can be seen as being critical. But if someone told me I could either use the monorail 85% of my day or not at all, you can bet I would jump on the 85% of the time. I'm not understanding the all or nothing point of view.

I am not criticizing at all! I'm just saying that if the reason you stay at a monorail resort is the convenience of the monorail, why give that up totally when you are loosing it for a short period of time?

As I said before, I get being disappointed, and said I would be too. Not sure how that can be seen as being critical. But if someone told me I could either use the monorail 85% of my day or not at all, you can bet I would jump on the 85% of the time. I'm not understanding the all or nothing point of view.

As has been mentioned a few times in the thread, if the monorail is the key reason one chooses to stay at a monorail resort (and pays a much higher price for that hotel) then not being able to use it when one wants it makes it useless or at least heavily reduced in value. As I said earlier, it doesn't matter if something is available 90% of the time, if it isn't available when I need it or want it - then the other 90% doesn't matter.
Why should someone pay Disney a premium to stay at a monorail resort and then be told to take the bus instead? Why not stay at a cheaper resort if what one wants is not available at the more expensive resort? It's all about one's own perception of value.

As far as being seen as critical, you are in a very long thread with lots of insulting and snide posts about people's value judgments (in both directions) and you just asked a question that has been bandied about many times. I think some might see it as piling on although that might not have been your intent.

I can't see that they would continue to operate the Epcot Monorail until 10PM, if the Resort Monorails are shut down at 8 or 9PM.
What would be the point?

Agree 100%, further confirming (if it happens)

"When I'm there in November every single night will be effected for me because MK closes at either 7pm or 8pm. EP at 9pm. Doesn't look like I have much of choice do I?"

As has been mentioned a few times in the thread, if the monorail is the key reason one chooses to stay at a monorail resort (and pays a much higher price for that hotel) then not being able to use it when one wants it makes it useless or at least heavily reduced in value. As I said earlier, it doesn't matter if something is available 90% of the time, if it isn't available when I need it or want it - then the other 90% doesn't matter.
Why should someone pay Disney a premium to stay at a monorail resort and then be told to take the bus instead? Why not stay at a cheaper resort if what one wants is not available at the more expensive resort? It's all about one's own perception of value.

As far as being seen as critical, you are in a very long thread with lots of insulting and snide posts about people's value judgments (in both directions) and you just asked a question that has been bandied about many times. I think some might see it as piling on although that might not have been your intent.

Good points.

I guess, for me, I see the value in having the monorail all day long and for part of the night. I wouldn't just use it at night. So I would rather have limited access to it than no access at all.

I also find value just in the proximity of the monorail resorts to the Magic Kingdom. Even if I had to bus back to the Poly or Contemporary or GF, at least it would be a very short bus ride. Those bus rides back to the All Stars or even to the Port Orleans Resorts can be pretty long!

What would be the point?

That makes complete sense to me.

Which makes me doubt every other thing the CM's are telling people by phone and email.

Good points.

I guess, for me, I see the value in having the monorail all day long and for part of the night. I wouldn't just use it at night. So I would rather have limited access to it than no access at all.

I also find value just in the proximity of the monorail resorts to the Magic Kingdom. Even if I had to bus back to the Poly or Contemporary or GF, at least it would be a very short bus ride. Those bus rides back to the All Stars or even to the Port Orleans Resorts can be pretty long!

I agree with you...I am staying at the Poly in November. Sure it will be an inconvenience to not have the monorail some evenings depending on where we are but it will still be available most of the time. Why would I switch to another resort where I have to take the bus all the time? We got a great rate (military code) so I am not switching. We will make it work. I am sure we will still have a great trip. I hope they do run resort monorail while EPCOT is still open but if not we will just take a bus back on the one evening we will be at EPCOT.

That was my point about E-nights - few people used them. Good for the crowd level, not good from a business perspective.

Well, few people used them because nobody knew about them. They didn't advertise the fact they had these nights. You had to search out the info on them and then ask about them while you were there.

They also limited the ticket sales to 10,000 I believe (might have been 7,000) but I never saw that many people there during the nights I was lucky enough to be there for.

Of course, this was a rather expensive proposition for Disney so it didn't make a whole lotta sense, which is why I'm sure, at least in part, they made the decision to ditch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter