• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mom & Son - The Last Time? An August TIW DR! 10/22 - I am Back. Updates x 8!

GoofySon'sMom

DIS Veteran
So, as the title says, I truly believe this is the last “Mom & Son” trip. Don’t get me wrong, I know that DS and I will be in Disney again but I don’t believe it will be just the two us. He is going off to college next year so I am guessing future trips will include DH and of course, his “DOther”.

For those of you that do not know us and our story, here is a brief recap. Back in 2008 we had a family trip planned when DH realized that he could not take the time from work. Rather than cancel, he urged me to go with DS. Thus our Mom & Son trips were born.

Here we are ---

We took family trips in 2009, 2010 (to Disneyland), 2011 and 2012, While we were there last year, DH said that he wanted me to have another “Mom & Son” trip this year as DS will be going off to school. While we were there, we upgraded our tickets to APs. And they burned a hold in my pocket causing our Mom & Son Food & Wine trip last November and our Mom & Son Flower & Garden trip this past March.

Now for the details - When? August 11th thru the 20th. We are actually getting on the train in NYC on the 10th. We took the train down one other time and enjoyed it. Plus DH travels by Amtrak so much that our bedroom car is free! All meals are included as well.

Where? Caribbean Beach. I want to one day say that I have stayed at all of the Resorts so it seemed a good time to try this one.

Most of our other trips have included the DxDDP. This trip we are giving TIW a try, no dining plan. I do love deluxe dining but with the constant price increases, it just doesn’t make sense unless it is with free dining plus the upgrade. And I admit that it is a lot of food. We rarely finish our meals and never get to enjoy desserts and other snacks. So this trip we will eat more QS, probably share several appetizers at some meals and split entrees at others. All so we can enjoy more snacks! And on top of that, we are trying many new restaurants.

I hope you all will come along for the ride on what will be a very bittersweet trip for me! Only 24 days to go … well, 23 really because today is just about over! I can't wait to get there, but then I know it will go by so fast!

Now for the specifics. The next post will include the links once the report has started.

Arrival Day, August 11th. Train is due to arrive in Orlando at 10:30am but I am fairly sure it will be late. We are taking a car service to Caribbean Beach. - After check-in, we will head to DTD to purchase our TIW. Lunch will kind of be decided on the fly but we are thinking Paradiso 37 as the appetizers sound really good and shareable!

Dinner will be at an old favorite Ohana. I resisted this one as I really wanted to focus on new restaurants but then I figured that if this is our last trip, it should include some old favs as well. Luckily I was able to get an ADR only last week!

Monday, August 12th EPCOT/DHS

We will start with a quick snack breakfast at Sunshine Seasons - Didn't have this

Lunch will be at Coral Reef. We had a great lunch here in 2008. It is the restaurant where DS decided to try new things and boy have his tastes branched out since then. The menu doesnt thrill me but I really wanted to eat here. Could be a very light meal!

We will hop over to try the sushi at Kimonos when it opens about 5:30 and then head to Sci Fi to split the picnic burger for a later dinner. Changed this to dinner at Artist Point

Tuesday, August 13th MK

Breakfast will be another quick snack at the MSB/Starbucks. MSB was too crowded - went to Gastons![COLOR]

Lunch will be at Trails End (changed from Tony's). We were going to hit TE for dinner, but I really like the lunch menu so Tony's had to be sacrificed.

Dinner will be a new place for us Nine Dragons. Ended up at The Wave

Wednesday, August 14th AK

Another snack breakfast, maybe at Tamu Tamu. Didn't make it to AK first thing ...

Lunch at Rose & Crown (changed from Sanaa). Once I decided I wanted Narcoossee's, this was the only night I could get and we wanted R&C more than Sanaa. R&C is my #1 favorite place to have lunch in WDW. I just love sitting by the water enjoying a meal.

Dinner at Narcoossee's. Very late addition. I really enjoyed our meal here in August and wanted to come back. This was the only night I could get a time earlier than 9:30. Ended up changing this to YSH

Thursday, August 15th DTD

Breakfast will be at Wolfgang Pucks Express. I have wanted to try breakfast here for years and never make it. Hopefully this will be the year.

After bowling at Splitsville, lunch will be at Fultons (new for us). Didn't do these ... went to Old Port Royale instead

We will then have a late dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse. I decided to only do one signature this trip and DS originally picked Artist Point. He actually had me change it just last night to YSH so he can have the porterhouse again. Ended up at Via Napoli

Friday, August 16th EPCOT/MK

DS doesnt actually know that I booked a before Park opening breakfast at Crystal Palace. Figure I will wait until we are there and he is drinking the koolaid to tell him. Cancelled this and went to Sleepy Hollow

Lunch will be at San Angel Inn (changed from Marrakesh). As much as I want to try Marrakesh, I am not convinced we will enjoy it. San Angel has been on our never again list, but with the recent good reviews, I have reconsidered. Completed changed and ended up at The Plaza

Dinner will be at Yak & Yeti. (An old fav and DS's main request)

Saturday, August 17th DHS

No real plans for breakfast. This is going to primarily be a QS day. I really want to try the sandwiches at Starring Rolls and maybe something at Min & Bills Dockside Diner.

Dinner will be at Tutto Italia. We have eaten here since our first Mom & Son trip in 2008. Thought it would be nice to return.

Sunday, August 18th MK

Plan is to hit the MK early and then head to Raglan Road for brunch.

Dinner will be at Kouzzina. We have done breakfast but dinner is new for us.

Then we are taking a Illuminations Cruise with EmmysMommy, Just Emmy, DonaldDoleWhip and his Mom! I cannot wait for this!

Saturday, August 19th our last full day and I hope to hit all 4 Parks!

After hitting DHS at Rope Drop, we will head to EPCOT for lunch at Le Cellier. Again, I resisted this but it is truly one of our favorites so I felt we should eat here. Then over to AK just because before heading to Kona Café for dinner and then the MK. Added Kona very late for the sushi.

Sunday, August 20th departure day

Our flight is at 6:30pm so we will have to be back at CBR for a 3pm ME. I do have a lunch ADR at Via Napoli but we may just decide to wing it and go to another Park. Well see how we feel that day.

So there you have it. After many, many changes, I believe this is the final plan. I told myself that I would not start this PTR until I was ready to stop changing things. As I write this, I cant think of a thing that I want to change. Unless maybe I can talk DS into the Flying Fish Chefs Table instead of YSH. He says he doesnt want to do it again but doesnt really have a reason why. Well see &.

I always enjoy your reports...glad you're going again! Your list of restaurants looks pretty darn tasty!

I have been a long-time lurker and have followed all of your reports, looking forward to another great one!

I am in!

This past trip was my first TIW trip too. It was nice not to have to order dessert. I miss the meal allotment though! What we did is charge everything to our room and then pay with disney gift cards we bought at target 5% off. It worked out pretty well. Although we probably spent more because it felt like we weren't paying real money, haha!

Just finally read your plans! Beware don't try those pretzel hot dogs at Min&bills! It was yucky.

also Paradiso 37 is a great choice! They had lots of options and good apps!

What a line up!! I'm so excited that your CBR trip is almost here!! :woohoo: I hope you guys have a wonderful trip. & BTW I'm so jealous of the Illuminations cruise!!! Enjoy!

I always enjoy your reports...glad you're going again! Your list of restaurants looks pretty darn tasty!

Is there a lineup of Disney restaurants that isn't darn tasty? :confused3 :lmao:

I have been a long-time lurker and have followed all of your reports, looking forward to another great one!

Thank you so much! :hug:

I am in!

This past trip was my first TIW trip too. It was nice not to have to order dessert. I miss the meal allotment though! What we did is charge everything to our room and then pay with disney gift cards we bought at target 5% off. It worked out pretty well. Although we probably spent more because it felt like we weren't paying real money, haha!

Just finally read your plans! Beware don't try those pretzel hot dogs at Min&bills! It was yucky.

also Paradiso 37 is a great choice! They had lots of options and good apps!

I bought gift cards as well. I know you didn't like the pretzel dog. I think we are gluttons for punishment and will probably try it anyway. Maybe you had a bad day? A girl can hope!

What a line up!! I'm so excited that your CBR trip is almost here!! :woohoo: I hope you guys have a wonderful trip. & BTW I'm so jealous of the Illuminations cruise!!! Enjoy!

Thank you so much! Love, Love. Love the Illuminations Cruise! Cannot wait for it especially to share it with our fellow Disers!

I bought gift cards as well. I know you didn't like the pretzel dog. I think we are gluttons for punishment and will probably try it anyway. Maybe you had a bad day? A girl can hope!

I think it is probably because I am not a huge mustard fan! I thought the dijon mustard would be different but it just tasted like straight mustard. Also the hot dog didn't fit the bun. The pretzel bun was good though!! :)

I thought I would share (or re-share for those that read the original Mom & Son report) why I want to go back to Coral Reef. This was a must do meal for DS (then 12) back in 2008. At the start of that trip, he was a very plain meat and starch kind of guy. By the end he was trying spices, sauces and things I never thought he would eat.

It was the Year of a Million Dreams so I was able to surprise him with a custom menu and diver greeting from the tank!

He decided that since it was a seafood restaurant, he wanted to try fish for the first time … He got the tilapia with rice as a side

He absolutely loved it! This single meal has led to both DS and I branching out in the world of fish and seafood. I would eat very mild white fish but since DS was trying something new, I tried the blackened snapper

We have now discovered that we love clams, mussels and scallops and are willing to try more types of fish fillets. We both have tried shrimp and just don’t like it. Likewise crab. We haven’t actually tried lobster yet. Our newly found taste for some seafood has made us both more likely to try new things in general.

So there you have it. I credit Coral Reef with opening DS’s palette to so many new things. We are both looking forward to trying even more on this trip!

I love that you branched out and tried new things at CR.

It sounds like this one meal opened up a whole load of new foodie options to you both :)

Yay for Disney dining !!

I love that you branched out and tried new things at CR.

It sounds like this one meal opened up a whole load of new foodie options to you both :)

Yay for Disney dining !!

Yup. I have always said that it was part of that Disney magic! :wizard:

I'm here :thumbsup2 And so gutted I won't be there with you guys this August :sad2:

Can't wait to read your reviews though Vicki

And, for the record, I loved the pretzel dog at Min & Bill's - we got ours without mustard though, maybe that was the difference :confused3

I love this story! My son (now 12) and I have been going to Disney World every February for the last 5 years. My husband isn't a huge Disney fan and it is a great time for us to bond and just have a fantastic time. It is awesome to see another mom and son!

:love:

I'm here :thumbsup2 And so gutted I won't be there with you guys this August :sad2:

Can't wait to read your reviews though Vicki

And, for the record, I loved the pretzel dog at Min & Bill's - we got ours without mustard though, maybe that was the difference :confused3

Lol I am glad you liked it!! That was probably the difference! There was like huge globs of mustard! Yuck! the pretzel part was super good though!

Love the coral reef story! That sign and menu is so cool!!! I didn't know they ever did that! How cool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter