MNSSHP-Costumes

Stephanie Ussery

Earning My Ears
So we are planning on going to one of the first MNSSHPs that they have in September. I am at a loss to figure out what kind of costumes to go with for my two boys! Almost every costume is long sleeved and long pants, and they are 8 and 4. I was thinking pirate, with maybe some cut off shorts type but I don't know. I wanted something that wasn't too character, but still noticeable as a costume. The younger one might be able to do cubby from Jake and the Neverland Pirates, but i think my older one will want a superhero type. I just don't want them to swelter!

Any Ideas?

What about Peter Pan, that would at least be short-sleeved. And I have seen some short sleeve Donald Duck sailor suit types. But I think you are on to something with Pirate, that might be the easiest. :)

We were pirates in September 5 years ago, and had made an appt at Pirate'S League for face painting. We were very comfortable! Our shirts were all very blousy and loose with long sleeves, again very comfortable even in the September heat.
I was surprised about the pirate make up, worried it would feel greasy or uncomfortable, and it did not at all.
Everyone could tell we were in costume and the grands got a lot of complements.
There were a lot of original ideas though, we saw a lot of great costumes.

For your son that wants to be a superhero, why not keep your eye out for superhero T-shirts? Those could be matched up with the appropriate colored shorts (might need to keep your eye out for those, too, LOL) so black for batman, blue for spiderman, red or blue for superman, etc. You might want to consider encouraging more of a DisneyBound than full costume (says the mom whose daughters dressed in full costume as documented in my avatar, LOL!)

We had the same problem. We could never find good disney costumes that didn't have him sweltering.

All the Star Wars was long sleeved and heavy. They have a great Captain Hook but it's faux velvet. The best ones are Peter Pan. Last year we got body suits and turned the kids into Peter Pan and his shadow. They weremoved great and it was so cool to see them interact with Tinker bell.

Stacy

Good ideas! I think if I can't talk my older one in to a different costume the superhero t shirt idea is the best. Maybe with a face painting.

I thought of some other ones if anyone needs more ideas:
Safari Guide, with a hat and cargo shorts with a vest (very crocodile dundee)
Tourists, with floral shirts a lei, and paint their nose white with zinc
the chopped off shorts pirate idea.

We did Winnie the Pooh, but my boys are younger. We were able to keep it fairly cool with shorts and a polo for toddler Christopher Robin, and orange shorts with an orange shirt I Tigger-fied for our preschooler.

Oh i forgot one I found a cute German Liederhosen outfit, for kids online somewhere that would be a cute idea without doing long socks. I think the safari or tourist will be the cheapest though.

We have gone in hot weather for a decade ............. absolutely think cool or you could be miserable.

Decide on characters ... or theme.
Go buy lightweight shorts and tshirts in colors that work for look.
Get some fabric paint and paint front and back.
You can paint capes or sashes or anything that a character would have on them.
Maybe a small hat or accessory to go along with it that you can toss in bag later.
Cute socks to match. We did Pirates with skull socks.
Options are limitless and still remain cool and comfortable.

For years we were skeletons, tshirts, soft shorts and fabric paint.
At one point 6 of us wore them, everyone LOVED them, lots of CM compliments.

ae2c3dcd-ca63-44cb-83af-8c8bab265e37.png

c8787cc5-433f-4487-91ae-1250b7134276.png

We are from southern Mississippi so we are kind of used to the humidity and heat, But luckily we have had a cooler halloween the last coupld years so the kids could wear the long sleeved stuff. I love your skeleton idea it's great I might use that for me and my husband so we can dress up too!

We are going in September and planned to go as Jack, Sally and Zero, then realized DH would be miserable in a suit. We're going to DisneyBound instead, so we can wear shorts and be comfortable.

We did the first party last year, and I had the same thought. I wanted something cool and comfortable. We ended up going with a Polynesian restaurant theme (DD10 as Dole Whip from Pineapple Lanai, DD4 as Spirit of Aloha dancer, me as Lilo from Ohana, DH as Trader Sam's). We had also though about doing Disney snacks (Mickey Bar, Dole Whip, Mickey Pretzel, Mickey Waffle etc). There are some really cute things on Etsy. It's just t-shirts, so it would be very easy for the hot weather. The Incredibles is always a popular family costume. You can also do ride-themed shirts, like Haunted Mansion, IASW, Space. I had a few other group theme ideas, and I'll add them if I remember them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter