• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK or HS for Thanksgiving day 2018

SpaceSquirrel

Mouseketeer
Which park do you think would feel less crowded on Thanksgiving Day, Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios?

Go to Hollywood Studios. We're going to be at Magic Kingdom. :)

Seriously, we've never been Thanksgiving week before, but I would expect that MK would be much busier. HS will have Toy Story Land open by then to help disperse crowds, and MK will have a lot more people to begin with.

That said, in 2019, Star Wars totally changes the game.

Hard to predict, but not sure exactly what effect Toy Story Land will have on crowds there. I'm sure it'll draw a lot of people in, but not sure how crowded it'll make the park overall. MK will get very crowded, especially in the afternoon.

Having said that, I'd still go to MK if you've never done it before. It's a fun, festive atmosphere.

We were at MK this year on Thanksgiving. We went in with low expectations... We were meeting other family members and had matching fast passes. We did quick service for lunch. We flew in that day so did not rope drop.

Honestly, we worried for nothing. Yes it was crowded but we had a great time.

I thought MK was great on Thanksgiving in 2017. I agree with PP, we did go expecting the worst. It wasn't bad. We managed to get 2 day of FPs, so 5 FPs for the day. We were there the Sunday before Thanksgiving and I thought it was more crowded that day.

We went to Epcot for dinner and rode Nemo at park close - we were the only people on the entire ride.

I think it is tough for anyone to predict what HS will be like next year after Toy Story opens. But if that is what you decide to do, it'll be ok.

I say pick a park, book dinner and/or lunch 180 days out if you want table service, and stick with it. You'll be in WDW and it is a holiday. Have fun.

We stayed in MK until around 1 this past Thanksgiving. It was totally do-able with FP and a lunch reservation.

We stayed in MK until around 1 this past Thanksgiving. It was totally do-able with FP and a lunch reservation.

We went to MK this thanksgiving. I was expecting it to be super crowded, but it was manageable. We are a family of 3, and we used 10 or 11 fast passes for the day. We spent a little time in a few short lines. But fast passed most of our stuff.

We were able to see the 3:00 parade back where it starts. We didn’t have any dining reservations, we took a break after the parade to go back to our room for some sandwiches and a nap.

We went back to MK for fireworks and fun. We also ran into 2 families we knew from home, which was the first time we have done that. It was a fun and magical day.

We were at MK this Thanksgiving until about 1. It was not crowded at all. We set up our FPs for the afternoon at HS studios. We went there for lunch and then did the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam dessert party that evening. That was a little more crowded, but we still got a lot done. The only bad thing was HS closed at 8. It was no where near as crowded as I expected.

We, too, were at MK Thanksgiving day. We were there for rope drop and first surge of crowd in the park. We headed to ADventureland/liberty square/frontierland and rode everything we wanted (all the major rides) by 11 (with a FP for HM I think it was) then hit fantasyland(FP for 7DMT) and Tomorrowland(FP space, picked up extra for Buzz, and Tomorrowland speedway) left for the the day. But I did do a check to see what was available for later in day and nearly everything was, besides mine train and PP. Even Space mountain was available for later that night. And that was for party of 5. Was quite surprised at how available FP were!

Did HS really close at 8 o'clock? I'm sketching plans for next Thanksgiving and the calendar I was using indicated it closed at 9 o'clock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter