• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK Dessert Party?

KrzyKtty101

Mouseketeer
What are your thoughts on the MK Dessert parties? We did it the last time we went almost 5 years ago and have really fond memories. However, a $411 price tag tag for 4 people is a lot to swallow for desserts. My husband does not drink alcohol and I have a Disney adult with my son who is 13.

I think we talked ourselves out the treats and seats version because if we are spending that sort of money we want premium viewing, and from what I can see, you can't see the projections very well from from there. Last last time we did the pre party version, But that was before the new firework show came out.

Is it a better idea to just mobile order a bunch of treats and hunt down space somewhere on Main Street? Or is the pre or post party still worth it?

I will also tag that I really wanted to pay for it with our Disney rewards redemption so I didn't have to pay for it in actual cash. But now I'm wondering if I can even do that since I spent 2 hours on hold earlier today to try to rent a cabana and they told me I could not do it with my redemption card.

We book the pre-party for the seating area. The desserts are just bonus. Granted we don’t do this every trip. Usually only when it’s a big extended family trip. I just purchased it for 7 people last week-5 adults, 2 kids. We have 1 Disney adult also.

We did it on our most recent trip in November. I think it was a wonderful one time experience, but I would never pay for it again. For starters, there weren't that many dessert options. Maybe 10? I don't drink alcohol, so the "free" beer/wine isn't a perk. Overall I don't regret doing it at all, but it was definitely a one and done for us. I'd sit somewhere else with a dessert of my choosing next time haha.

We did it on our most recent trip in November. I think it was a wonderful one time experience, but I would never pay for it again. For starters, there weren't that many dessert options. Maybe 10? I don't drink alcohol, so the "free" beer/wine isn't a perk. Overall I don't regret doing it at all, but it was definitely a one and done for us. I'd sit somewhere else with a dessert of my choosing next time haha.
That is the thing. We did the pre-party before. And while it was nice, I still had some issues with viewing because I'm a really tall 5ft 2 LOL. The splurge of the desserts were nice, but it is hard to cough up that sort of money for desserts. This is more expensive than Space 220 would be, and that is more food. I would do it for the viewing of seeing the show, but I remember having issues seeing over the heads of others last time anyway. :(

We did the pre-party in December, and thought it was not worth it. With the viewing area also including a post-party group, it was the most crowded viewing of the dessert party we've ever done - and we've probably done it 3 or 4 times over the years. It wasn't 'Main St' crowded, but it was way more crowded than we experienced in the past. Probably going to skip it for awhile, maybe for good. The food/dessert options were just OK, but they've always been just OK.

We did a pre-party on our last trip to make sure my kids had good viewing for their first time seeing the new show. Otherwise we watch from train station entrance. It's a good one and done and as someone said above, we paid for the seating area. The desserts were just bonus. I do feel we got our money's worth for the one time we'll do it.

We just did the party this past Saturday. Compared to our previous dessert party experience (NYE 2019) it was more crowded in the viewing area and there were less dessert/food options.

I did the MK Fireworks Dessert party the first year they offered it when it was only $25 and no alcohol. At the time I thought the desserts were just okay but it wasn't bad for $25. Did it a few more times over the years before they started including alcohol and decided it really wasn't worth the money to me. I enjoyed the Frozen Dessert Party & the Star Wars one but ultimately I don't think the MK one is worth $100+ per person even with alcohol. I'd much rather spend that money on a decent meal somewhere with a drink or two.

I took my Mom who hadn't been to Disney in more than 20 years and treated her to the 50th Anniversary Pre-Party MK Dessert party. It was a once in a lifetime moment for us. I knew that simple sugary desserts and a couple drinks wouldn't add up to what we paid. So no - if you are only looking at the dollar amount it doesn't make sense and won't be "worth it". But I didn't care, I wanted a magical moment with my Mom and it delivered! She asked for Gluten Free desserts and they gave her a huge tray of treats to choose from. The Castmember saw her Birthday button and the entire room sang Happy Birthday to my Mom! She was so happy and amazed. She happened to be in a wheelchair so we wheeled up and found a nice spot on the lawn. It was something I will never regret doing. We both cried since it was special - to us. I would say if you are taking someone who hasn't been to Disney in a very long time, if it is a milestone birthday, Anniversary or other celebration than it is worth it. With Disney - your YMMV of course. Hope this helps.
How special for your mom. 💗

We are planning to do it on our upcoming 2023 trip. Our kids are little and I just can't fathom making them wait for over an hour to stake out a spot beforehand. I really wish that they will get back to offering more savory food options by then, but I'm not holding my breath. We are paying for the ability to avoid getting a spot early, and not the desserts!

If being short and having your view blocked is one of your big concerns maybe re-visit the treats and seats option? Yes, there is a darned tree that blocks the bottom of the castle, but you get a guaranteed seat and otherwise unobstructed view- so no worries about who stands in front of you. For us, we value the seat and peaceful spot to watch from over the more straight on view, even with projections. My 4 kids and I can see no problems, although one kid is taller than me now.
8D2C58E3-AE8B-4063-9ACE-9DA19634CA69.jpeg5A0C9703-49FF-4525-AD48-F2724742B3AB.jpeg009E33CA-6BE2-4261-BF46-9D03348DB257.jpeg

Another vote for treats and seats. We did it in January and have tickets for a party next month. We had a great experience. The treats were decent and I liked the sparkling wine. Our main goal was space and an unobstructed view—it definitely delivered on both counts.

Now I am completely on the fence! We have treats and seats booked, but we don't drink and my DD doesn't like most of the desserts. We just really like the idea of a private table. I suspect we will end up canceling.

Eta: we are canceling - I posted the info on the May ADR cancellation thread if anyone wants to coordinate

Last edited by a moderator:
If being short and having your view blocked is one of your big concerns maybe re-visit the treats and seats option? Yes, there is a darned tree that blocks the bottom of the castle, but you get a guaranteed seat and otherwise unobstructed view- so no worries about who stands in front of you. For us, we value the seat and peaceful spot to watch from over the more straight on view, even with projections. My 4 kids and I can see no problems, although one kid is taller than me now.
View attachment 665524View attachment 665525View attachment 665523
We’re you able to pick this table? Thanks

Now I am completely on the fence! We have treats and seats booked, but we don't drink and my DD doesn't like most of the desserts. We just really like the idea of a private table. I suspect we will end up canceling.
It’s really hard to rebook if you cancel. I would look at enchantment videos to gauge crowds a week before and also look at the more recent dessert party videos. You need to cancel 5 days before. There was a review that there was some fighting in the hub. That sealed the deal for me.

We did the after party and rode rides until 30 mins before fireworks and about 20 mins after fireworks (people mover; buzz went down), before we headed to the party. Ate and drank very little. Kids ate one or two bites from the allergy friendly plate (too sweet).

I suppose you can always have fun if you’re in a bigger group (first video below). The road is a bit higher right before the plaza restaurant so your view is a bit less obstructed. The view from the train station was not great IMHO (Nate recorded the video when it was less known that it’s back open).

Last edited:
Here is review showing crowds from the hub and they were not letting anyone else up the train station

Here is his review of treats & seats (I prefer the plaza garden after party):

Last edited:
The crepes were good (topped with candied walnuts. They just made that change a few weeks before our trip, so they might add new things before your trip:

36083B70-4B1E-4211-9834-019868F181D2.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter