• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mistake you will not repeat next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't be using touring plans or other crowd predictions. Tried them for the first time and they were never accurate and they all vary. I've learned to expect crazy crowds no matter which park I'm in. If its crowded, it's what I expected, no let downs. If not, it's a nice surprise. I'll have fun either way. More fun then if I try and plan every tiny detail, especially things like anticipating crowds and wait times.

On our very fist trip to WDW 6 years ago, somehow I left all of my shoes at home, except a pair of leather loafers I wore to the airport. Don't ask, I don't know how I did that. Anyhow, I ended up buying a pair of clunky tennis shoes from Team Mickey. Shoes are like the first thing in my bag now. :rotfl2:

OMG! I did the same thing!!!! I quick put on a crappy pair of sandals to load up the car @ 2AM and didn't even realize it until we were in the line for security at the airport and heard the announcement "Due to TSA regulations, all passengers are required to remove their shoes..." My jaw hit the floor! Couldn't BELIEVE it! Worst part was, we looked for shoes every day and couldn't find any! Just cheap flip flops! I will sleep in my shoes the night before I go this time! :rotfl:

monorailrabbit said:
OMG! I did the same thing!!!! I quick put on a crappy pair of sandals to load up the car @ 2AM and didn't even realize it until we were in the line for security at the airport and heard the announcement "Due to TSA regulations, all passengers are required to remove their shoes..." My jaw hit the floor! Couldn't BELIEVE it! Worst part was, we looked for shoes every day and couldn't find any! Just cheap flip flops! I will sleep in my shoes the night before I go this time! :rotfl:

I did the opposite on our first family trip, when I was a teen. I packed every suitable pair of shoes I owned, and after my parents had carefully loaded all our cases in the airport taxi, tetris-style, I ran to put my shoes on and realized all I had left was strappy heels and slippers. My sister thought it was hysterical, my mom not so much!

Passing on park hoppers is something we will never do again. We generally have APs, but when we don't I will always have the hopper option.

Spend less time taking photos and videos! I spent to much time looking at things thru a view finder and 3" LCD screen.

But who am I kidding, ill probable do the same thing again. ;)

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

Spend less time taking photos and videos! I spent to much time looking at things thru a view finder and 3" LCD screen.

But who am I kidding, ill probable do the same thing again. ;)

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

I've often thought the same thing..... so last trip I decided to use my camera less. And I thought.... DD has a very expensive camera and loves taking pictures.... so I figured I will get pictures from her... she could simply download to a disc??
Well that was 6 months ago! Still no copies of pictures!:worried:
Now I regret NOT taking more myself!
I will always carry my camera now. ::yes::

I did the opposite on our first family trip, when I was a teen. I packed every suitable pair of shoes I owned, and after my parents had carefully loaded all our cases in the airport taxi, tetris-style, I ran to put my shoes on and realized all I had left was strappy heels and slippers. My sister thought it was hysterical, my mom not so much!

:rotfl::rotfl:
My DD is the same way...... packs every pair of shoes she owns I think. And of course there's always a reason for each pair.... "I need those to go with that outfit!" and "I plan on running every morning and those are good for running outside! But those are good for running if it rains!" And.... "I need those for walking to the pool".... oh... the list goes on..... :rotfl:

...Wait so many years to try the scopolamine patch.

...Think the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek were useless.

...Walk out before Fantasmic! even started because I was turned off by the bleachers.

I once left most of my shirts hanging on the closet door intending to pack them first thing in the morning. Of course, I very sleepily put in toiletries and then zipped up the bag. I ended up in Orlando with only the shirt on my back and another one that I'd thrown in that never wrinkles. Luckily we had a car and drove offsite to buy some clothes. I would not want to buy a week's worth of Disney shirts!

I had plenty of shoes though. ;)

Major mistake I made was not buying annual passes. I did the math and thought it was cheaper buying 5 day passes for our family and then buying another 5 when we decide to go back..(Maybe another trip at end of summer or beginning of fall) but didn't take into account that annual passes are park hoppers too I think? And, you get free parking (if we chose not to stay on property), and better room discounts if an annual pass holder.

Not taking a rest day.
We go hardcore from the time we get there until the time we leave and then come home feeling like we need another vacation!

All of our trips have always gone smoothly and I can only think of one real "mistake".

When we go it's always my wife, our 5 kids, my two sisters and my best friend David. He's like family and lots of times he'll take off with the older kids while I do little stuff with the younger ones.

We always park hop. We hit two parks every day and sometimes more. Last trip we hit MK in the morning then EP, I think, then David my two oldest kids and I went back to MK for EMH till 12 or 1. In any case, we were all tired and decided to leave a little early before closing so the bus lines wouldn't be so crowded.

We walked straight out of MK and got on the ferry to DTC then walked over to the bus lines to find not a single bus there. We were all tired and had been park hopping all week and didn't even think about the fact that you take the bus from out front to go back to the resort and not from DTC. We had to go back, wait on the next ferry (that we had all to ourselves) and by the time we got back to MK people were streaming out and all of the bus lines were way backed up.

We all knew better and felt like idiots :lmao:

1) Trying to make everyone happy when traveling with extended family!
2) Never trying one of those amazing cupcakes I have heard so much about!
3) Not spending enough time enjoying the resort!

i will never take my sister in law again. She stomped her foot the second day into her vacation while we were at DHS and whined "When are we going to do something IIIIIIIIII want to do?" Never mind that we told her and BIL that this was the kid's vacation and we were doing whatever THEY wanted.

Now we're entirely out of the nap stage, but we take a swim break at our resort just to have some down time away from the parks. I think the moral of the story is to give something a try, but be willing to change it (and continue changing it!) if it doesn't work for you.

Some us us never grow out of the nap stage! :rotfl:

My big mistake was trying to stay from rope drop until park close. My poor husband ended up trying to sleep on a bench at one point.

We would have had a much better time if we'd just gone back to the hotel for a couple hours.

Our 6-year-old was terrified, as were tons of other kids around us. And honestly, I thought the "show" was just a mish-mosh of random images with no real cohesion. Basically, they take you through Mickey's worst nightmare - seriously. The effects of the picture on the water was kinda cool, for a minute or two. And then it's good luck not getting trampled leaving the theatre. We'd have walked out in the middle, but it was so dark, we couldn't see the stairs well enough to do so safely.

This was my exact same reaction to Fantasmic - I was very underwhelmed. We even did the F! dinner package so we could get a good seat without waiting in huge lines, and when we finally saw the show, I thought, "This is it???"

I know lots of people love it, but I guess I just don't get it. I guess that's what makes the world go 'round. I love Soarin', but lots of folks don't - go figure!

I will never wear sandals in the parks again. Running shoes and wicking socks only, no matter how homely they might look.

Also, after a back injury that has taken several years to finally heal properly... I will NEVER take for granted the ability to walk all day, ride rollercoasters, and sit on bench seats without pain. :thumbsup2

7AM Chef Mickey's reservations the morning after closing EPCOT or DHS with EMH. Makes vacation too much like real life with 5AM wake-up calls after going to bed around midnight....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter