Mission Space and Claustrophobia

bobafemme

Universal Daydreamer
Hi--I've done searches but haven't quite gotten a good sense, so pardon if this is old news:

After getting trapped in an overcrowded elevator a few years ago, I can't shake a little panic when too many people get into an elevator, or when a small airplane sits a long time on the tarmac. This has me concerned about some of the rides, Like Mission Space. How tiny is the space? How hot does it get? My fear is people are sucking up all the air and I can't get out. Things on my barometer of get me the fudgecicles out include very enjoyable Star Tours, not so great waiting closet of Simpsons, heck no to dark tube water slides.

Any insight would be most appreciated (and home remedies, too).

Hi--I've done searches but haven't quite gotten a good sense, so pardon if this is old news:

After getting trapped in an overcrowded elevator a few years ago, I can't shake a little panic when too many people get into an elevator, or when a small airplane sits a long time on the tarmac. This has me concerned about some of the rides, Like Mission Space. How tiny is the space? How hot does it get? My fear is people are sucking up all the air and I can't get out. Things on my barometer of get me the fudgecicles out include very enjoyable Star Tours, not so great waiting closet of Simpsons, heck no to dark tube water slides.

Mission space is BAD for clausterphobia. Very very bad. I have no clausterphobia issues but my husband does. The first time we went on it, my husband didn’t really want to get in but he did anyway against his better judgement. So you get into the pod at seats 4 people, right next to each other, shoulder to shoulder. With the walls touching the end people. Then when the ride starts your seat moves forward so the screen is maybe 12 inches from your face. So you are just completely boxed in.

Right after the ride started it broke down on us, and we were stuck like that...and my hubby started freaking out. He had to close his eyes but he was going to have an actual meltdown. They asked about 7 minutes in if anyone who was clausterphobic needed out and he ran out of that building faster than I’ve ever seen him. he won’t go near that ride. It’s absolutely the worst ride for a clausterphobic person in all of disney

Last edited:
I do not consider myself to be claustrophobic, but if I sit too long in an enclosed space I do get a little anxious (one time we were "stuck" on the ToT) That being said, Mission Space definitely raised my anxiety level. The screen gets EXTREMELY close to your face.. I would say it's definitely worse than a dark tube water slide.

Simply put, I don’t think Mission:Space is for you. It’s pretty tight in there.

It does not get hot. The temperature stays comfortable (or at least it has every time we have ridden it), BUT like everyone else stated above, it is a very confined space. If you have issues with closed in spaces, avoid this ride.

Last edited:
I would recommend against it.

Several years ago, DD and I did Sum of All Thrills (I think that’s what it was called— where you designed your own rollercoaster and then got into the two person simulator).

There were tons of warnings about claustrophobia. I could have handled it fine for the ride, but our capsule would not open and we were stuck in there until maintenance came to release us (maybe 10-15 minutes). There was a tv screen for light and a fan while the ride was going, but both shut off. So it was completely dark, I had major motion sickness, and I was starting to get sweaty and panicky.

I am not claustrophobic but this one definitely raises my anxiety, not only due to the space issues but because of the fear of motion sickness setting in. It’s a once and done for me...2nd ride of the day and did me in for an entire day. I felt hot; if there was air blowing in my face, it probably wouldn’t have been as bad. Proceed with caution.

I too have claustrophobia and would never attempt mission space. Just not my cup of tea.

Don't do it. I never even considered myself claustrophobic and have ridden Mission Space multiple times. The last time we went, one of the bays was down and the ride was experiencing significant delays. We finally were seated in the capsule, ride restraints down and then delay, delay, delay. I thought I was going to have a panic attack. I started counting to myself and said, if I reach 20, I'm going to start banging on the capsule to be let out. It finally started and once it started I felt a little better, but I couldn't wait to get out of there. I will never ride it again. We rode the new green side, and, quite honestly, it's super boring anyway. SO many reasons NOT to ride it!

As all the PP's have said, don't go on this ride if you have claustrophobia. Not only is it a cramped space, the harness comes down over your shoulders/chest so that I felt trapped. I survived the green/mild ride once, the cool air that the fan is blowing helped. Family wanted to go on the ride again a couple years later...okay, I survived it once, I could do it again. Yeah, no. I tried to give myself a little more space under the harness...that didn't help. My heart rate was going up waiting for the ride to start, when I was 'saved' by a technician opening the door to retrieve a lost item. I asked 'can I leave?' and booked it! My oldest daughter (who also has some claustrophobia) followed me out, leaving my youngest and husband on the ride alone. 'They' enjoyed it. Lol. I am NEVER going on that ride again!

I've never been claustrophobic in my life until I rode Mission Space for the first time last trip. I could feel my heart start racing and it got harder to breathe. I had to close my eyes for more than half of it and take deep breaths. If you know you get even a little claustrophobic I would not try it.

I would recommend you stay away from it, also.

Side note: The fan blowing air across my face bothers me 10x worse than being confined in the closed space. I have to keep my head pulled out away from the headrest the entire time. Fortunately, that doesn't stop me from riding the orange side 5 times in a row after a few beers. ;)

Mission Space triggered claustrophobia in me.
I didn't know I had a problem until then.
Now I have many claustrophobic issues I'm trying to deal with in my everyday life.
Don't do it.

Even before I got stuck on an elevator I couldn't ride Mission Space. It's very confining.

I ride Star Tours, but have trouble after the ride because it seems to take forever for the seat belts to release and those doors to open to exit.

I was fine on FOP.

Is it the confined space or having people close to you in a confined space? If it’s the space then everyone above has that covered. Not recommended. If it’s the people you might be ok. Everyone has their own (very small) space in MS and no one is getting any closer to you. I get more anxious walking around the walkways during very busy times (like after shows end) than mission space.

I also have claustrophobia, but I have ridden MS without a problem. However, this last time I rode it, we stalled. The ride would not start, and we were stuck for 20 minutes. That is the closest I have ever come to a full on panic attack. I will never attempt to ride it again. When they say MS is a confined space, it is a confined space!!!!!

So my suggestion is a big NO. Do not attempt, especially if you already have trouble with Star Tours!

I have claustrophobia. I don't take elevators unless I have to. I am fine with Star Tours but have had anxiety on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster due to the overhead restraints and getting stuck at the end of the ride.

I will not touch Mission Space with a 10 ft pole. I have looked at pictures and video. No way, no how. NOT happening. Just the thought makes my chest feel tight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter