Misdemeanor

chrisWDWCP

Earning My Ears
Hi guys! Looooong time lurker at the DISboards (even before I wanted the college program) I'm currently pending for Fall 2012 and this afternoon I faxed Disney an application they sent me regarding my criminal background. I have one misdemeanor, and I was charged for petit theft (I accidentally took a book out of a store trying to get signal on my phone, no intentions of stealing it :scared1:!)

So my question is: What are my chances of getting accepted?

I know its always better if you tell them over the phone interview what happened. If you did that then I would say they would be just a good as anyone elses chances of getting in as long as no other marks are found without you disclosing it to Disney.

Hi guys! Looooong time lurker at the DISboards (even before I wanted the college program) I'm currently pending for Fall 2012 and this afternoon I faxed Disney an application they sent me regarding my criminal background. I have one misdemeanor, and I was charged for petit theft (I accidentally took a book out of a store trying to get signal on my phone, no intentions of stealing it :scared1:!)

It's really best if you mention that during the phone interview, so that they can see you are open and honest up front. They will most likely ask you, as it is one of the first questions considering information.

I know there is a disclaimer while filling out the application that having a criminal background won't necessarily bar you from working for The Walt Disney company. It just depends on the circumstances and honesty of the situation.

Best of luck, and Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

How long ago was it? If it's been awhile you're probably okay. I pled guilty to a bad check charge when I was in college (29 years ago!) and it's never prevented me from getting a job (even with the government). I always disclose my "record" when applying for a job. even though it's embarrassing. I was hired Seasonal at WDW last summer, so it's definitely possible to work at Disney with a misdemeanor on your record.

Thank you all for the information. You've gotten my hopes up. I did tell my interviewer about it and we talked about it for a couple minutes (it ate up a good portion of the interview.) This happened in May of 2010, I was 18. Crossing my fingers for the acceptance letter, which I know is not coming anytime soon (the email said several weeks or months AHHHH)

How long ago was it? If it's been awhile you're probably okay. I pled guilty to a bad check charge when I was in college (29 years ago!) and it's never prevented me from getting a job (even with the government). I always disclose my "record" when applying for a job. even though it's embarrassing. I was hired Seasonal at WDW last summer, so it's definitely possible to work at Disney with a misdemeanor on your record.

Does your countdown show up on it's own or is it something that you post at the end of every post you make? Because if you're just doing it to post it, you can stop bragging. Some people here got rejected or are pending and won't get accepted. You don't need to show off that you're going every post.

Does your countdown show up on it's own or is it something that you post at the end of every post you make? Because if you're just doing it to post it, you can stop bragging. Some people here got rejected or are pending and won't get accepted. You don't need to show off that you're going every post.

It's within their signature...you're new to these boards so you probably don't know, but many people have countdowns in their signatures, past present or otherwise, it's not 'showing off' - besides the fact that they've been/going to Disney! They don't post it in every post themself, it is automatically done through somewhere in settings... :confused3

The countdowns that people "post" are in their signatures, it's an HTML code that's embedded at the end of every post we make. I know that no one here uses their countdown signatures to rub anything into anyone's faces, and we can't pick and choose which posts to use our signatures on, they are there for every single post we do. I wouldn't ever take them personally, I know no one here is mean spirited enough to mean them in a negative aspect like rubbing it in someone's face or bragging! I do apologize if you don't like seeing them, but it's definitely not something that's being done on purpose to upset anyone.

I think you need to calm down a little... Those countdowns are HTML-embedded in signatures, which show up on every single post anyone with a signature makes--no matter what thread they're posting on. No one is doing anything to be mean-spirited; they're excited they're going to Disney and put it in their signature. You can't pick and choose which posts you want your signature to show up/not show up on; you either have a signature or you don't.

Wow, that was incredibly rude and could probably be reported as a personal attack, which is against the rules on these boards.

However, since you seem to be new, I'll give you the benefit of the the doubt and respond.

As others have said, countdown tickers are part of your signature and show up on every post. You can go to the technical board to find out more about it.

Also, I'm not and never have been a CP. As I said in my previous post, I'm Seasonal. My daughter did the CP a couple of years ago and I came to this board to find out about it for her. I also got helpful information about the interview process from this board when I applied for Seasonal last summer. So I like to help others with what I've learned as a CM - that's all there is to it - no ulterior motive at all.

And finally, just because I'm happy that I'm a CM doesn't mean I'm bragging or showing off. I love what I do and I truly sympathize with those who are pended or rejected - I understand how disappointing that would be, and hope that they will apply again in the future and have the opportunity to make magic for guests. :)

Any news yet?

Ya any news on that? I was in a similar situation too. The mall near my house have such crappy cell phone service that it was just unacceptable.
Mine happened in 2010 too, when I was at the local Macy's. I had a call that I've been waiting on all day and literally rushed outside so I can get a better signal, ended up forgetting that I had a pair of sunglasses in my hands. Stepped out and the security/loss prevention people came right behind me. Called the cops and everything.
Heck, when the cop came, he really thought that the loss prevention people were over-reacting and was trying to talk them out of it, but they refuse so he had to write me up.
I ended up with a misdeaminor, but was on deferred judgement (since I have no records at all, not even a traffic violation!). So basically, everything would fall off the record after 1 year of good behavior, and it did. Though I have yet to have to have a background check for anything so...........def let me know how yours turn out.

it probably best to have a background check run on yourself before applying so there are no surprises and be upfront about whatever you find during you phone interview.

A friend of mine had a DUI 8 years prior to applying and got denied. It's really up to recruiting to decide. I think there were other factors weighing the decision, but i forget. I'm sure a DUI is higher on the scale then a misdemeanor though, but i'm not law educated so i'm taking a guess. Good luck to you!!

A friend of mine had a DUI 8 years prior to applying and got denied. It's really up to recruiting to decide. I think there were other factors weighing the decision, but i forget. I'm sure a DUI is higher on the scale then a misdemeanor though, but i'm not law educated so i'm taking a guess. Good luck to you!!

In some states a DUI is a felony I have no idea how Disney would consider it as in would they go by Florida law or your home state law. But that could be why they denied him. I know a girl who had just gone to court for a date and went to jail for a month 6 months later she started her CP.

In some states a DUI is a felony I have no idea how Disney would consider it as in would they go by Florida law or your home state law. But that could be why they denied him. I know a girl who had just gone to court for a date and went to jail for a month 6 months later she started her CP.

I guess it's just really up to the company. I'm sure there are many factors included in the decision. Plus, they can't hire everyone for the CP so they will hire someone with a clean record before someone without one, I'd think anyways. They seem to be a pretty forgiving company...if you have proof of good behavior. I like that about them.

I guess it's just really up to the company. I'm sure there are many factors included in the decision. Plus, they can't hire everyone for the CP so they will hire someone with a clean record before someone without one, I'd think anyways. They seem to be a pretty forgiving company...if you have proof of good behavior. I like that about them.

The bold part is the ticket in my opinion! If you can prove you are different and want to be successful they will give you a shot in my opinion!

I'm glad I'm not alone. About 7 years ago I was caught shoplifting. I assumed it has been expunged from my record so I did not bother to mention this in the interview. How will this affect me? Will fingerprinting or background check trace me?

I'm glad I'm not alone. About 7 years ago I was caught shoplifting. I assumed it has been expunged from my record so I did not bother to mention this in the interview. How will this affect me? Will fingerprinting or background check trace me?

If you got arrested and your finger prints taken then yes it will come up on finger prints and it's on your back ground no matter what but if it's been expunged you don't have to mention it.

If you got arrested and your finger prints taken then yes it will come up on finger prints and it's on your back ground no matter what but if it's been expunged you don't have to mention it.

This is information is wrong. You DO have to mention it if it is expunged. It says so in the application. And it states further in the background paperwork that they have the means and rights to find out what it is if it is expunged. It will still show on your records as something being expunged which then Disney will ask you what it is and if you care not to be completely honest then they will not offer you the position. Honest is the best policy when it comes to Disney because they will find out. :) Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter