• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Military ticket question

Cruella 66

DIS Veteran
Good morning! We can only get 6 military tickets per service member. We are going this summer with 5 of us so that'll take out 5 from the 6 leaving one ticket left to be available using my husbands military service (he's retired after 20 years). We are possibly going another time but only three of us who are also in the party of 5. Our SIL is also active duty in the military and will be able to buy 6 tickets but he and my daughter would only need 2, if they would go this year. My question: can I ask them to buy us 2 tickets from his 6 potential tickets available and would we be able to use them when we got to WDW? So we would have 1 ticket from my husband, 2 from my SIL, but all three of us will also be using another ticket later from my husband's availability. I hope this makes sense. I guess what it comes down to is: does WDW track how many military tickets a member has used? Thanks, Cindy

Last edited:
I think that you would have to have the military member there to activate them for the 2nd trip. I know we can also get the 6 tickets and either myself or my husband can activate our 6. IF you used the others from the relative, that member would have to be there to activate them at the parks.

Some posters have reported receiving already activated tickets from Shades of Green. If you and your SIL ordered your tickets from Shades of Green, all 12 tickets would be activated.

To my mind, this goes against the intent, which is to offer each military family the opportunity to use up to 6 tickets... clearly, if you were at the parks with SIL, there's no question that you could use the tickets they bought. But asking them to buy for you... yes, you're entitled, but you will have already used your entitlement... and yes, WDW correlates each ticket with the name and address of the user...

Might want to ask a chaplain for clarity...

With all the ticket price hikes and crazy crap that Disney is pulling on us lately - get as many military tickets as you can. They are a great value. Get tickets for Universal, if that's of interest to you too. My mom buys tickets from Shades of Green and the folks there are very helpful in assisting you with the juggling of tickets you can get per person. Stay at Shades if you can as well. It's a really cute hotel with two nice pools, golf course, a very inexpensive buffet and a nice restarant that serves excellent desserts. And it's within walking distance to the Polynesian hotel (we take the monorail to MK and the poly's buses to the other parks).

My mom gets military tickets for my husband (6 for him), my brother, my SIL, my son, and others. They are her dependents. They do expire at some point. At one point, she would have to go with the "dependent" to guest services to "activate" them, but she doesn't have to do that anymore.

But as I said, get as many as possible!! And thank him for his service with some kisses! :)

You can "buy" as many as you want however Disney will only let you "activate" 6 tickets per offer period!

They do make exceptions for families that have 5 children but children are the only exception and they must be yours.

So your scenario will not work as they do indeed keep track in a computer how many were activated.

I think 6 tickets, at the price they offer us, is an extreme generous offer from Disney!

Last edited:
Whenever we have used these tickets, we have always had to "activate them" at the park or Downtown Disney prior to going into the park.

Whenever we have used these tickets, we have always had to "activate them" at the park or Downtown Disney prior to going into the park.

This is correct! We have used them almost every year since Disney has had the offer and never did we not have to activate them!

People even suggesting to try to find away to cheat this system is just wrong! I very much appreciate Disney offering thee tickets and I will be very mad if abuse and wrongdoing will make a Disney decide to not renew the program!

Shades of Green or other military bases explain clearly how many you can get per person. I would call them direct, or when you get down there, stop at the SoG ticket office and ask them. We get as many as possible - meaning, like anyone else would do for future trips. Remember when Disney offfered non-expiring tickets, and people would buy 10 or more tickets for their trips, even if the current trip was for one or two days? That's what we do. My husband will only go maybe one day with us. But mom buys a six ticket pass for him because over course of a year, he will go six times with us. That's what I'm trying to explain. So don't just get 1 or 2 tickets for that simple trip, buy the daughter or whatever a six ticket pass. It will be used and you can "bank" the price. No being cheating, just sensible. It's not like you are buying tickets for some bum off the street. You are being given a gift.

And yes, you can buy tickets for others. My mom bought tickets my brother, my sil, her mom and her dad just last month. Not a problem and they don't track anything. I think it was a one day ticket though.

Yes they can buy extra but they need to activate them before they leave Disney. If they are purchased in person at SOG they will already be active. If they are purchased at a Disney ticket window they will already be active BUT if they are purchased at any other military base they need to be brought to guest services with the eligible military member for activation.

Disney used to track who used the tickets, they no longer ask for this information but they do track (per social security number) who purchases tickets.

I highly suggest looking up military Disney tips. Steve has everything compiled you ever need to know and then some...
No wrong information given either... (and he will tell you exactly how Disney does indeed keep track of your information etc...). He works very closely with Disney so his information is correct as he does not want to loose his relationship with them.

I am sure he is on here but I do not know his username or I would tag him.

Shades of Green or other military bases explain clearly how many you can get per person. I would call them direct, or when you get down there, stop at the SoG ticket office and ask them. We get as many as possible - meaning, like anyone else would do for future trips. Remember when Disney offfered non-expiring tickets, and people would buy 10 or more tickets for their trips, even if the current trip was for one or two days? That's what we do. My husband will only go maybe one day with us. But mom buys a six ticket pass for him because over course of a year, he will go six times with us. That's what I'm trying to explain. So don't just get 1 or 2 tickets for that simple trip, buy the daughter or whatever a six ticket pass. It will be used and you can "bank" the price. No being cheating, just sensible. It's not like you are buying tickets for some bum off the street. You are being given a gift.

And yes, you can buy tickets for others. My mom bought tickets my brother, my sil, her mom and her dad just last month. Not a problem and they don't track anything. I think it was a one day ticket though.

Your post is very confusing and I think you are mixing things up.

To clear things up. A qualifying military member can activate up to 6 military salute tickets per promotion year ($196). Shades of green and bases have other discounted tickets too and you can buy as many of those as you need for family and friends and those don't need activation, but the discount is not nearly as good. You can use military salute tickets for family and friends too as long as you don't exceed the 6 and the military or spouse is there to activate it. Disney does keep track of how many tickets a member activates. Some CM make sure everyone is present before activating the tickets and some don't, but I think policy is that every person should be present when the tickets are being activated.

Yes they can buy extra but they need to activate them before they leave Disney. If they are purchased in person at SOG they will already be active. If they are purchased at a Disney ticket window they will already be active BUT if they are purchased at any other military base they need to be brought to guest services with the eligible military member for activation.

Disney used to track who used the tickets, they no longer ask for this information but they do track (per social security number) who purchases tickets.
They have asks us for information every single time we activate the tickets unless that change since October. Maybe now with MDE they can track who is using the ticket even closer and no longer ask at the ticket window.

OP unless you SIL is going to be there with you to activate the 2 extra tickets no you cannot use her tickets. I find it kind of disturbing you asking if Disney tracks this information (which of course they do), because I feel you are trying to abuse the system and the generous offer. If people star abusing it they will just take it away. :headache:

They have asks us for information every single time we activate the tickets unless that change since October. Maybe now with MDE they can track who is using the ticket even closer and no longer ask at the ticket window.
[/QUOTE]

It is a new procedure since SOG is able to activate tickets. They check to see if you have purchased your allocated amount and they sell you the already activated tickets.

IF you purchase them at a Disney window they might ask but at the end of 2015 when I activated tickets they did not ask.

It's very possible they are choosing to track who uses them through MDE.

I can't speak for Shades of Green, but we haven't had to collect demographics for each individual Salute ticket we activate at the ticket windows since before I started working in ticket sales, and that was last June/July. The only information we need is that of the military member.

It is a new procedure since SOG is able to activate tickets. They check to see if you have purchased your allocated amount and they sell you the already activated tickets.

IF you purchase them at a Disney window they might ask but at the end of 2015 when I activated tickets they did not ask.

It's very possible they are choosing to track who uses them through MDE.[/QUOTE]

That would make sense they do have scan everyone mb that has the tickets, which has the info.

I can't speak for Shades of Green, but we haven't had to collect demographics for each individual Salute ticket we activate at the ticket windows since before I started working in ticket sales, and that was last June/July. The only information we need is that of the military member.

Donyou still need everyone present? And do you scan each MB were the ticket is link to?

Well, I know that there are people who try to scam to get into the parks but I will assure you all that is not my case. I looked and looked at my wording so I am glad most of you understood even though it was not clear. I am just trying to get clarification if we use our 6 allotted, but get 2 from my SIL (son in law), can we activate them with our IDs or would he have to be there to show his ID. I did read the military site and SOG, several times and I think the answer is no. So we'll either get my husbands allotted 6 plus 2 Stars & Stripes or just get 5 as originally planned and go to other non-Disney parks for our added on days. The extra days are up in the air, it all depends on if my daughter's volleyball team plays in the AAU tournament mid-June. SOG is a beautiful resort, we still remember it as Disney Inn, and we've stayed there quite a few times in the last 13 years. We are DVC owners so mainly stay DVC now but occasionally will do an over flow day at SOG. Can't beat the beauty of the property and closeness to Poly. We love the walk over there too. Thank you all for your input! Cindy

No, but they do track how many have been activated. So the 2 will count against whoever activates them (in this case SIL), since your husband will only have 1 activation left to use.

Well, I know that there are people who try to scam to get into the parks but I will assure you all that is not my case. I looked and looked at my wording so I am glad most of you understood even though it was not clear. I am just trying to get clarification if we use our 6 allotted, but get 2 from my SIL (son in law), can we activate them with our IDs or would he have to be there to show his ID. I did read the military site and SOG, several times and I think the answer is no. So we'll either get my husbands allotted 6 plus 2 Stars & Stripes or just get 5 as originally planned and go to other non-Disney parks for our added on days. The extra days are up in the air, it all depends on if my daughter's volleyball team plays in the AAU tournament mid-June. SOG is a beautiful resort, we still remember it as Disney Inn, and we've stayed there quite a few times in the last 13 years. We are DVC owners so mainly stay DVC now but occasionally will do an over flow day at SOG. Can't beat the beauty of the property and closeness to Poly. We love the walk over there too. Thank you all for your input! Cindy

I am not sure what part is confusing? Military member or spouse get 6 tickets per promotion year that means 6 total tickets that he/she can activate doesn't matter who buys them, what matter is who activates them. So unless your SIL is going to be there to activate the extra 2 tickets you can't not use those tickets.You specifically ask if Disney keeps track of how many tickets are activated because you want to activate 8 even though you know you can only activate 6, that is trying to take advantage of the system.

When we activated our tickets in January, the CM in the ticket booth entered our ID information into the system. I could only assume it was to track ticket use.

Ok. I'm sorry I was confusing. I think I got confused too, kinda knee-jerked.

We have bought our ap through Disney because it is same/better for Fl residents vs military. We buy Salute tickets for my husband (who is former military anyway), my brother and SIL. We have bought two or more regular ticket for direct relatives (uncle/aunt/ cousin). We have have activated it several ways.
1. Sponsor and dependent go to park and activate it at guest service.
2. Sponsor Activates at guest service, no dependent needed. We did this at Universal for my brother and SIL.
3. Activate it at sog during purchase.

My recommendation is to buy your tickets at sog. Not only can they help you out, but they are way better informed and sometimes have some great deals on other parks/attractions in Florida. We have gotten some very good prices for universal/sea world and Legoland.

Donyou still need everyone present? And do you scan each MB were the ticket is link to?

Technically, yes, everyone who will use the tickets is supposed to be present to activate them at the ticket booths. Most of us will bend that rule a little if someone's spouse is stuck in the bag check line or taking the kids to the bathroom or something like that, but we're supposed to see X people if we're activating X number of tickets. Again, I don't know what Shades of Green does.

I don't scan MBs to activate Salute tickets even if they're already linked, but some CMs do. Personally, I find it a hassle to have a big group of people all trying to align their bands properly on the scanner. I swipe each paper certificate, pull up the MDE that it's linked to, and assign a plastic card to each person, then activate the certificates from there. It sounds like a longer process, but it's really not, and it works better for me. To be honest, though, I see a lot more Salute certs that aren't linked to MDE at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter