• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Military salute frustration

Capang

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this a the proper forum so feel free to move it if not. For the last couple years we have really enjoyed family vacations using this awesome offer for military families. We were hoping to return in June 2017 yet no new offer for 2017 has been released. Given all the recent changes at Disney I am not real confident the salute offer will continue. I'm so bummed out. I guess we will wait until November or so before we completely lose hope and plan a non-Disney vacation.

I can't imagine they won't offer the discount, specially with attendance being low these last few months.

I'm hoping they continue it. Otherwise we may just go to Universal. And frankly, I'd rather not do that for a few years.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly last year they extended the time period so instead of ending September 30th it ended Dec 31st. I just checked SOGs web site, and the current tickets are good from Jan 3, 2016- Dec 19, 2016. So if the salute tickets are continued in 2017, you should see an announcement in the next few months. If you don't see anything by November you could call SOG and ask if they know anything.

They announced 2016 in September 2015, I believe.

I am also hopeful for a 2017 Salute and Military RO Discount for next summer! :)

*ETA* September 25th 2015 they announced 2016!

Fingers crossed for a similar situation this year!

I am with you guys! This waiting game is rough. I just decided to take DS11 on a final trip before he becomes a teen. We are hoping to go during Spring break (1st week of April 2017). Non discounted rooms price makes planning a trip hard. This single momma can only afford so much! I am hoping they will announce something soon and I am off that day! Disney is on speed dial!

Waiting is the worst and we are in the same boat as you. From what I have read and heard from others I am pretty sure the AFS will be continued and hopefully it will be announced in the next few weeks. Keeping my FX!!!

Periodically they are a little slow getting the announcement out so try and be patient. I know it's hard, I am in the same position.

I'm not sure if this a the proper forum so feel free to move it if not. For the last couple years we have really enjoyed family vacations using this awesome offer for military families. We were hoping to return in June 2017 yet no new offer for 2017 has been released. Given all the recent changes at Disney I am not real confident the salute offer will continue. I'm so bummed out. I guess we will wait until November or so before we completely lose hope and plan a non-Disney vacation.

I'll be surprised if they discontinue the salute given how many other discounts they are offering lately. I would not be surprised, though, if they are waiting until October to make the announcement. This is the first year that there isn't overlap with the previous Salute program that was tied to the fiscal year (not calendar year), so we don't have any real history to see what timing they use to announce it.

If you haven't already, check out militarydisneytips.com. Steve, who runs that site, is really great about emailing updates regarding the salute and he announces when the program comes out as soon as Disney gives the OK.

They announced 2016 in September 2015, I believe.

I am also hopeful for a 2017 Salute and Military RO Discount for next summer! :)

*ETA* September 25th 2015 they announced 2016!

Fingers crossed for a similar situation this year!
The announcement in September 2015, though, was in part because they were in the process of switching the program. The 2014-2015 salute ended at the end of September 2015. They were switching the program from a fiscal year oriented one to a calendar year, so there was a transition period from October-December that they needed to account for and make an announcement for. (We were waiting for that announcement last year, as we were traveling in November 2015). This year they don't have that few months of transition that they need to account for, as it's remaining a calendar year program, so the timing of the announcement is likely to be different.

It certainly is a great discount and I hope they offer it again next year. We are FL residents, so we may switch to an annual pass so that we don't have the limitation of the 6 tickets max because we go more often. But the room discount is awesome!

We are in the same boat, as well. Our added issue is that our Fast Pass dates (staying at Poly) would be Nov. 11th, and I need to have the tickets in hand (or at least the numbers) to book fast passes. SOG doesn't anticipate even having the 2017 tickets until November - at least that's what they said when I called this week. I am so frustrated too! Not much I can do but wait and hope, though. Many people seem to think there will be a late September announcement to come before the new Oct. 1st Disney fiscal year. Really hoping to hear something soon for all of us. Hang in there!!!

They seem to be announcing it later and later each year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! We would love to do another trip in a few years, and this really saves!

well logic would dictae, that if the new promotion s to start on January 1st, that new tickets need to be buyable 60 days before that so FP can be made. So would thing a few weeks before that the anncement would be which puts u the end of Oct. let's hope so I need a room for April race

well logic would dictae, that if the new promotion s to start on January 1st, that new tickets need to be buyable 60 days before that so FP can be made. So would thing a few weeks before that the anncement would be which puts u the end of Oct. let's hope so I need a room for April race
Shame shame on u for using logic! Lol
I just read in the past few years it was released in October :(

Shame shame on u for using logic! Lol
I just read in the past few years it was released in October :(
The past few years, the promotion itself ran from October 1 to sept. 30th. The announcement for the new salute would happen in June or July, with tickets on sale around August or early Sept.

Last year Disney switched the dates of the promotion. Starting in Jan. 2016, they decided to run the promotion dates according to the calendar year instead. There is no history to go from as to when Disney will announce the new Salute for the new calendar year.

I would expect that it would be ahead of the 60 day mark for FP, which would November. but that's just a guess on everyone's part with no history to go from for this year.

In 2012 announcement was in sept. In 2010 was announced in October..
I'm not referring to the run dates.

The past few years, the promotion itself ran from October 1 to sept. 30th. The announcement for the new salute would happen in June or July, with tickets on sale around August or early Sept.

Last year Disney switched the dates of the promotion. Starting in Jan. 2016, they decided to run the promotion dates according to the calendar year instead. There is no history to go from as to when Disney will announce the new Salute for the new calendar year.

I would expect that it would be ahead of the 60 day mark for FP, which would November. but that's just a guess on everyone's part with no history to go from for this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter