• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Military discount and trip timing

interstate70s

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm looking for opinions on when to take the plunge and do a big WDW vacation. Our family has been to DLR 3 years running (last trip in Sept 2012)
DH and I are in agreement on next up will be WDW and Universal Orlando, but we differ as to when we should go. DH is active duty military and I'm worried that if we wait (DH wants Jan or Feb 2014) that the great military discounts we've seen the past few years won't be available.

So I guess I am wondering if there are typically room only discounts or dining discounts close to as good as the current military ones? Also, how difficult is it to get the room discounts at WDW? Do you have to book very far in advance? At DL I've never had much of a problem getting the room I want with the military discount a month or two out, is it similar or is there more competition?

I know if they stop the military salute, ticket prices will be double, right? I also saw that universal is offering a free active duty 3 day pass as well that's good through June. I was thinking of going the first week of May 2013.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm looking for opinions on when to take the plunge and do a big WDW vacation. Our family has been to DLR 3 years running (last trip in Sept 2012)
DH and I are in agreement on next up will be WDW and Universal Orlando, but we differ as to when we should go. DH is active duty military and I'm worried that if we wait (DH wants Jan or Feb 2014) that the great military discounts we've seen the past few years won't be available.

So I guess I am wondering if there are typically room only discounts or dining discounts close to as good as the current military ones? Also, how difficult is it to get the room discounts at WDW? Do you have to book very far in advance? At DL I've never had much of a problem getting the room I want with the military discount a month or two out, is it similar or is there more competition?

I know if they stop the military salute, ticket prices will be double, right? I also saw that universal is offering a free active duty 3 day pass as well that's good through June. I was thinking of going the first week of May 2013.

Thanks in advance!

The military room and ticket discounts are just a step above cast member discounts. If the room discount goes away in 2014, you can still get a decent discount... but it won't be as much. I think it's 40% at a deluxe with military and depending upon the resort you book with the general offer out now it's up to 35%.

The tickets are where you are really saving. A 4day hopper with the military discount is less than a 2 day base ticket at regular price.

Booking with room discounts at WDW vary. The closure to the dates you get, the less likely a discount is available. For example, discounts for November and December ended in October I believe. So booking in November for December, you'd end up with rack rate. Whether a room will be available with a discount or not will just depend on the resort, time frame, and availability. There's usually at least SOMETHING that can be booked with a discount. The sooner the better in my opinion.

I think if you can go on the military discount, you should. It's the best one you'll find and it will save you the most money.

Availability does decline the closer you get to your dates. For our September trip, we booked in Feb and had no trouble getting the resorts we wanted. Last week, we decided to take a December trip to WDW from 12/2 - 12/. The room discount was a little limited, but there were several resorts with availability. We ended up booking POFQ. We've never been there before and it will be nice to try a new resort. So, it was still possible, for I would book as early as possible.

I see your hesitation to wait because you really never know when the discount will be finished. I think you are right to desire a trip now, with the Disney Salute Tickets and the free Universal Ticket. It's a good excuse to go now too!
Good luck, I'm sure you will have a great trip no matter when you decide to go.

Yes these are my worries, I added up the ticket cost and if they don't renew the salute it will be at least $500 more for ticket cost between Universal and WDW. The hotels, who knows? We could just budget for the alot extra, but it would break my cheap heart knowing the cost could have been significantly less. Thats where DH and I disagree, he doesn't realize this salute thing isn't always going to be there. Thanks you for your feedback, hopefully he'll come around, soon, and if not I'll just have more time to plan.;)

interstate70s said:

Thanks in advance!

Where did you see free military at universal? We are a military family and never did universal yet. I know sea world does one day free tickets for military too.

Where did you see free military at universal? We are a military family and never did universal yet. I know sea world does one day free tickets for military too.

On the universal Orlando military minisite. Its just for active duty. I believe it has to be used by June 30th of 2013.

interstate70s said:
On the universal Orlando military minisite. Its just for active duty. I believe it has to be used by June 30th of 2013.

Do you just get the free pass for the service member?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter