mid-December what to wear?

parkbr

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I've been WDW in December 4 years ago around Christmas and it was very cold in the morning and at night. I remember wearing 4 layers, and just 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and adding another 2 by the time I leave the park.
I am not sure if that's usual December weather or just unusually cold.

I've picked up a few short sleeve shirts for my DD who is 2.5 y/o, and thinking whether I should have just got long sleeves instead.
My initial thoughts are short sleeve + thin cardigan or hoodie + light jacket + hat & gloves if needed.
But should I just do long sleeve + light jacket + hat & gloves if needed?

I'm worried that she might get too hot if I just do long sleeves.

Of course, I am going to bring mixture of everything, but just want to know which one I should bring more. Long sleeve or short sleeve.

Thank you!

Hi,

I've been WDW in December 4 years ago around Christmas and it was very cold in the morning and at night. I remember wearing 4 layers, and just 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and adding another 2 by the time I leave the park.

I've picked up a few short sleeve shirts for my DD who is 2.5 y/o, and thinking whether I should have just got long sleeves instead.
My initial thoughts are short sleeve + thin cardigan or hoodie + light jacket + hat & gloves if needed.

Of course, I am going to bring mixture of everything, but just want to know which one I should bring more. Long sleeve or short sleeve.

Thank you!

I'm debating the same right now. Our upcoming trip is December 3-11 and Central Florida weather is (always) unpredictable. I plan on packing layers. My daughter and I will both have short sleeved tops, capris for me and shorts and dresses for her. I also plan on packing a pair of jeans for each of us. I'll be bringing cardigans for early mornings and evenings as well as lightweight, yet warm, jackets, gloves, and scarves. I usually wear flip flops while we're there, as does my daughter, but will be packing a pair of Ugg boots for each of us. I'll never forget getting a phone call from relatives vacationing in WDW in December 2010 to tell me that that day the weather was a balmy </sarcasm> 28°!

Hi,

Thank you!
I've been in early Dec a number of times. One year it was so cold the old FP machines froze - next year it was warm enough to swim....so now - we bring clothes that will work for 90 degrees, clothes that are needed for 32 degrees and everything in between! Bathing suits to parkas!

Like TCRAIG, we have also been there when the weather was either too warm or too cold. Thankfully, you can now get weather reports before you leave to pack accordingly.

This will be our 7th December trip to WDW and we have had a mixed bag most years. 6 years ago it was freezing the whole time and last year we hardly wore anything with sleeves it was so warm. Every other year it's been a mixture of hot, warm and cool. We generally work on the premise we will need to wrap up early in the morning for EMH and late at night then in between we may need summer clothes. We usually check the 10 day forecast the day before and hope it doesn't change too much then pack clothes accordingly. In other words, who knows what we'll get :santa:

Last edited:
Last yr. we were there 12/19-12/24 and the first morning we flew in it was in the 40s, and only got into the 60s. It warned up eah day as week went on, and DD swam 1 day. When we left it was in the mid 80s and humid, so you never know. Layers are key, and watching the weather the week before to know better what to pack. We had mostly shirts, capris, and short sleeves, but had a pair of jeans and thicker jacket/hoodie(good for plane back and forth as well). We've been twice at Tday, and once wore shorts and the other time had jackets/heavy sweatshirts, earmuffs and gloves(40 degrees in the morning, colder than home in NJ!) - pics in front of castle were hysterical - no one would believe we were in n FL.

It could snow and it could be walking around sweaty. bring whatever weather clothing with you or be prepared that you might need to buy more at disney prices and a way to get that all home.

Totally depends. I've been there for many Christmases, and most of the time I wear shorts/capris and tank tops. 3 years ago we were there and we were absolutely melting the day before Christmas eve. I have pictures from a trip in college where I have pictures of me in layers. Typically though I find it warm enough to wear t-shirts all day. I'm also from Minnesota though so my cold tolerance is different than some people's, lol.

Totally depends. I've been there for many Christmases, and most of the time I wear shorts/capris and tank tops. 3 years ago we were there and we were absolutely melting the day before Christmas eve. I have pictures from a trip in college where I have pictures of me in layers. Typically though I find it warm enough to wear t-shirts all day. I'm also from Minnesota though so my cold tolerance is different than some people's, lol.

We are from the north of England so anything over freezing in December is a bonus to us. Some years we go to the water parks at Christmas and the only nutters there are other Brits.

Hi,

Thank you all for your post.
My colleague also went last December and she kept on saying how nice it was, and I was saying how cold it was 4 yrs ago!
I will pack layers.. I actually bought 5 disney t-shirts for my DD and 2 each for us, and I was wondering whether I should return some and get long sleeve instead.. Or have her wear a long sleeve inside and put on a t-shirt on top of her long sleeve - so if the weather gets warmer, I can choose between the long-sleeve (non-disney) vs t-shirt (disney).

I hope it's not too bad this year. I really want to go to Waterparks!

BTW, we're from Canada... and worrying about cold weather.. how funny!

Will be there Nov 27 to Dec 7.

Our plan is jeans/capris with t-shirts and a sweatshirt/sweater. Oh, and I pack gloves because I use a scooter and my hands get cold.

We will also have a bathing suit.

Will be there Nov 27 to Dec 7.

Our plan is jeans/capris with t-shirts and a sweatshirt/sweater. Oh, and I pack gloves because I use a scooter and my hands get cold.

We will also have a bathing suit.

You're going 2 weeks before I do! How exciting! :D
I am going to pack everything from swimming suit to winter jacket (we have to. coming from Canada!).

I am going during the same time and I went during early December in 2013. Great time. light jackets and gloves during nighttime parades and shorts and swimming during the day. We just went through our pictures to see what we wore. Check the 10-day forecast when you get close, but be prepared for anything. You can always wash clothes if you run out. Enjoy

We are going 11/29-12/9 and we plan on bringing layers. Jeans, capris, shorts, hoodies, tshirts, tanks, flip flops, tennies and swimsuits. I don't think we will pack our Uggs though. Maybe gloves but hubby is laughing at me for that. We are from MN so ya know. :D

I am going during the same time and I went during early December in 2013. Great time. light jackets and gloves during nighttime parades and shorts and swimming during the day. We just went through our pictures to see what we wore. Check the 10-day forecast when you get close, but be prepared for anything. You can always wash clothes if you run out. Enjoy

Thank you. I hope it won't be too cold! Really want to try the waterpark.

We are going 11/29-12/9 and we plan on bringing layers. Jeans, capris, shorts, hoodies, tshirts, tanks, flip flops, tennies and swimsuits. I don't think we will pack our Uggs though. Maybe gloves but hubby is laughing at me for that. We are from MN so ya know. :D

No Uggs for us either!
We're from Ontario, so I think we can handle Florida winter well. Just hoping for 1-2 nice day so we can go to the waterparks.

Thank you. I hope it won't be too cold! Really want to try the waterpark.

No Uggs for us either!
We're from Ontario, so I think we can handle Florida winter well. Just hoping for 1-2 nice day so we can go to the waterparks.
Yes! We are hoping that we will be able to swim too! Well... we will swim no matter what, but hopefully it won't be painful!

We got back from Disney about 10 days ago and the weather was beautiful! Totally hot enough for the pool!
We were there for 14 days and only 2 days were bit 'chilly (like you need a hoodie in the morning and in the evening)', and the rest were shorts and t-shirts. And rained only once - but just before the fireworks, so it sorta ruined the firework.

We were prepared for all types of weather, but so happy it turned out to be so hot!
And it was very different from my experience 4 years ago, when it was very very cold. :)

There's no way to tell. We just moved to FL a month ago and went to Disney the middle of last month and it was hot...no need at all for layers. It was like mid 80s! Perfect coming from NY weather, lol. I would bring light jackets just in case though...ya never know. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter