Mickey Check Meals

HesATramp

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

We may have a youngster coming with us on our next trip, and I have a question about the "Mickey Check Meals!" Would any of you recommend them? They seem, upon first glance, to be FAR better choices than the regular Kids' Menu options. Would they be counted on the DDP? Have any of you had BAD experiences with them (I know that we'd need to also take into account the kiddo that would be eating them, but from your own experiences)?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Until next time,
John

They are usually preferable to standard kids' meals. Note that the dessert is fresh fruit. The fruit is good but DD will sometimes ask for ice cream and that is always okay as long as you ask.

Generally speaking, the kid's meals are fine, and my only consideration would be if the item in question appealed. The mickey check meals are generally healthier, although Disney does try with all of them, and often more interesting.

When I looked at the Mickey Check Meal choices as opposed to the regular kids' menu, I DID find that the choices were definitely more appealing. I mean, sure, who doesn't like a good hot dog, burger, or piece of pizza, but for every meal...I think not! LOL!

They are usually preferable to standard kids' meals. Note that the dessert is fresh fruit. The fruit is good but DD will sometimes ask for ice cream and that is always okay as long as you ask.
Thanks for this. I was wondering this yesterday, the meals looks much better, but, obviously, if we, including disney adult 11yo are getting proper dessert, then 4yo is going to at least some of the time prefer to get ice cream. Glad it's a possible swap.

If you are feeding a child who is older/has a larger appetite some of the mickey check meals may not be as satisfying as the standard kids meals. I recall reading that the kids BOG shrimp was really small for example, where as the kids braised pork was a perfect lunch for me. There is the option to get apple slices, carrot sticks, grapes or yogurt smoothies as sides at CS even with the non-mickey check meals.

I found that the mickey check portions were teeny tiny because they have strict caloric and nutritional guidelines. I ordered the mickey check chicken breast at Sanaa for my son and it was maybe about 2oz of chicken, which is not going to keep a 90 pound active 9 year old satisfied.

That said, they WILL substitute sides... the whole note about "without substitutions" is about nutritional value, not about what they will actually do for you in the kitchen. The proteins are often much more appealing on the mickey check menu than on the regular menu, but my son won't touch "ancient grains" or any of the variations of such on the mickey check menus (nor will he eat the veggies) With sharing bread service, and subbing mac and cheese for the side and having a regular kid's dessert, my son was satisfied with his meal at Sanaa... but I was really quite shocked at how tiny the chicken breast was! But they are really very very accommodating at mixing and matching what is available on the kid's menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter