MGM (large) face in the crowd?

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Probably has been noticed by others-- just not me or DH. ;)
I have a Cast Atlas of WDW that is 1 - 2 years old that I just happened to drag out tonight to look at.
In the center of MGM, where the large hat area is now, is part of a large Mickey face. :rolleyes: Yes, yes, I am sure many here know about it. ;) We just never realized it. I should have known something was hidden. ;)
What is making up the Mickey face? I am guessing some of it is built up sidewalk barries, like around the Brown Derby and over by Starring Roles.
Is part of the face a design in the sidewalk, or is it barriers, steps, etc?

Well ain't that interesting. I got out some old guide maps from January 2001 and 2002. It's there all right. :rolleyes:
Some planters by Echo Lake make up winks coming from his eye. The Christmas tree in 2001 was dead cente in his nose. The smile sticks out from the Chinese Theatre.

Something must be wrong with the domain. The main page isn't showing up either. Hope that site comes back up soon! It's one of my favorites!

It used to be a true Mickey but has been altered due to Studio construction. I did the College Program in the Spring of 1990 and worked at the Studios during their inaugural year. Back then there was no Sunset Blvd and there was a theater there instead. That theater made Mickey's left ear (actually what would be his right, but the left one as you look at him) and Echo Lake made his right. Various landscaping made up his facial features but now I think most of that has been obscured by the Sorceror's Hat.

My next question is -- Why is his head upside down as guests walk into the park?
Seems like the chin should be at the bottom, facing guests as they enter the park (like a greeting).

call me a cynic, but that photo seems pretty obscure to me. Sure, I can see the drawn-on outlines, but without the overdrawing I'm not sure I could see anything there.........

Thanks for the pictures! I'M convinced! My next question is.."What is a Cast Atlas?" Just available to cast members or the general public?

The Cast Atlas I have is pretty neat. At least over a year ago, I bought a few pins from Ebay. The seller also sent along this Cast Atlas.
It a double sided fold out map of the parks showing the utility roads, cast buildings, cast areas, tunnel system, etc. :)
DH runs many of the behind the scenes roads in the marathon and we were looking at his past routes. And we saw this face.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter