• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MGM dining

Disneyismyworld22

Earning My Ears
On our last Disney trip, we weren't that pleased with the food, particularly at MGM! We ate at the Brown Derby and the Sci Fi diner. We'd like to eat at all of the parks at least once, but MGM has been hard!

Suggestions?

We enjoy the food and the antics at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. It is "down home cooking" like Mom used to make.
I love the Fried Chicken and DH loves the Pot Roast. They also have meat loaf, a pasta, a fish dish etc.
They also have delicious shakes and desserts.
Have Fun

We went to mama melroses a couple of years back-it should have been Sci-Fi but it was closed unexpectedly so they were diverting us! We did enjoy MM and plan to go back next time

At DHS (formerly MGM), this is our preference.

must-do lunch: Starring Rolls
must-do snack: Writers Stop
must-do dinner: boat to the Epcot-area resorts.

At DHS (formerly MGM as the pp had said), i would go to 50's prime. Its true that the park doesnt have the greatest restaurant choices. But 50's is actually pretty good. The prices are decent and you get massive portions of yummy comfort food. For example, the platter of fried chicken gives you 4 giant pieces of chicken, a side of potoatoes (mashed or fries), and a side of veg (corn or collard greens). Great value for about $15!

On our last Disney trip, we weren't that pleased with the food, particularly at MGM! We ate at the Brown Derby and the Sci Fi diner. We'd like to eat at all of the parks at least once, but MGM has been hard!

Suggestions?

Have been dispointed with both of those as well. I'm always surprised Mamma's doesn't have a bigger following. 50's Prime Time is also fun.

I'm surprised with your experience at the Brown Derby, but in my opinion the Sci-FI Theater is one of the worst spots to eat on property. We had a very enjoyable meal at Mama Melrose's, but the service there can be spotty if you get the wrong server. We've also had decent luck at 50's PT and Hollywood and Vine for the buffet.

I've also heard that the food at the ABC Comissary has somewhat improved.

We have done 50's Prime Time and really enjoyed it. Last trip for our DHS day dinner we took the boat over to the Beach Club and did Cape May - it was delicious and didn't take too much time to get there.

It's been years since I've done anything other than CS meals at DHS. Starring Rolls was really good on our last trip.

In the past I have been to Mama Melrose's (someone in our party actually got sick after this meal) and 50's Prime Time Cafe (the food was tasty, but I don't like the interactive nature of the service...I want to eat my meal in peace). Sci Fi sounds interesting but my kids would hate it, and as a party of 3 or 4 I wouldn't like the seating (and if you get a table in the back, what's the point IMO).

The only one we haven't done at DHS is Hollywood and Vine. None of the others are anything special. Brown Derby is overpriced for the food. Sci Fi and Prime Time both have gimmicks, and ok food. Mama Melroses didn't impress us at all. We would rather eat at an Epcot resort, or Epcot itself.

I too think Brown Derby was overpriced, but the food was good when we were there. Two dds don't like Italian, so haven't tried Mama Melrose.

Mama Melrose's is fine. It was good, but honestly it wasn't anything spectacular. We don't mind eating there for the fantasmic package, but we would need eat there otherwise. I have heard very good things about the 50's Prime Time, but I haven't had the chance to eat there yet.

We enjoyed Mama Melrose's. They were surprisingly quick with service and we enjoyed the calamari (loved) and our flatbread pizzas (margherita and mushroom). I also had a frozen cappuccino which was super yummy.

I've dined 8 time at DHS: 3 times at 50's Prime Time, 2 at Mama Melrose, 2 at Sci Fi Diner, 1 at Brown Derby.

Brown Derby was really overpriced and overrated, IMHO. Sci Fi Diner had a cool theme, but it wasn't fully realized and I found the menu selection lacking and the food quality poor on both visits.

Mama Melrose provided us our absolute best meal at DHS ever on one visit, and our worst on another. Food was acceptable both times, but one time our server was fantastic, and the other, he was miserable.

50's, IMHO, strikes the perfect balance. The food can be very good, the theming is dead on, and I personally find it one of the best dining values in all of WDW. The sampler plate (meatloaf, pot roast and fried chicken) is really, really good. And I love pre-dinner cocktails in the lounge.

Personally, if I was only having one meal at DHS (and I am on this upcoming trip), it would be 50's Prime Time Diner.

My Experiences with DHS Dining:

TS:
H&V: Lunch/Dinner/F! Dining - 4x I'm one of the few ppl who actually enjoyed this albeit family of Five with varying degrees of pickiness.....

HBD: Tried in May 2010 and did not care for it... will try again in May with Imagineers Lunch

50's Prime Time: Tried in May 2010 and was the BEST meal of the day... Pot Roast YUM!!!!

Sci Fi: Booked for May 2012

MM F! Dining package: Booked for May 2012

My favorite CS meal in DHS is the Sunset Ranch Market which is outdoor seating between Tot RnR... LOTS of choices... Hot Italian Sub was my pick and was delish !

Have a magical visit !
Mary

we did christmas 2009 and ate at the sci fi--it was the one place my kids have said they do NOT want to go back to. the food wasnt the greatest but the service was the worst! they stil joke to the day about the items they are still waiting for! we really enjoy the prime time 50's, by far it is our favorite there and the writer shop for a cookie or muffin....for quick service I do say that the ABC com. was ok.....we too would leave if we were wanting something else and ride the boat over to Epcot....everyone it happy at Epcot!

50's Primetime is pretty fun. The helpings are huge, which freaked my oldest child out a bit because the server said he had to finish his dinner before he could have dessert. Of course he didn't force him to finish, but DS was sweating it for a bit.

We absolutely hated ABC Com-misery. It took 45 minutes for us to get our food. It's supposed to be "quick" service for pete's sake. They couldn't seem to figure out how to make a burger without a bun for my allergic child. It was a nightmare.

Gosh, I'm surprised you had a bad experience at Brown Derby. We've always found the menu/service/food to be some of the best we've had within a park.

That said, if you aren't willing to give it another shot & want to go on a lower scale, 50s Prime Time has nice atmosphere, even if the food & "antics" can be lackluster.

We also enjoy Mama Melrose. 4 times total.

It is a great table service for the kids as well.

We took our 5yo DGD princess: who chose MM for her meltdown location of the trip. She then fell asleep just before the food arrived. Our waiter was kind enough to suggest they bring her meal back when she woke up. My husband and I enjoyed our meal. When DGD woke up, her hot meal arrived and she enjoyed every bite... we then enjoyed our dessert together.

After such a great experience (the meal that is) we brought our 5yo DGS pirate: to MM. We had a great meal (his w/out the meltdown) and DGS enjoyed his Bday ice cream that our waiter surprised him with before heading off to Fantasmic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter