• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Memory Maker vs Photo Pass

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain the difference between the two? We're planning on going to WDW in March of 2017 and we've booked trip along with our cruise chasing the WDW trip. I'm now going into the weeds of the trip and trying to set up some of the details such as Memory Maker vs Photo Pass.

From what I'm reading, it seems like they're both the same thing where you take pictures throughout the parks and then get them all at the end of your trip. Memory Maker seems like it's unlimited pictures but I don't remember reading anything about Photo Pass.

Another question I have is, we're a group of 6. How does it work if say we purchase the Memory Maker package but we have 6 people? If I'm the head of the family made the reservations and purchase the Memory Maker package, are only the pictures that I'm included in given to me as part of the package? In other words, if any of the 5 other people take pictures and say I'm not in the picture do we not get the pictures then as part of the Memory Maker package? If we do, how is that set up so that all 6 people will be included in any picture taken throughout the parks?

PhotoPass is the photo taking service; Memory Maker is a product you can buy that gives you downloads of all the pictures you have taken by PhotoPass photographers as well as ride photos and videos from rides that offer them. When you buy Memory Maker, one person is "in charge" of the entitlement, which just means that they're the only one who can make edits to the pictures as well as do the downloads. Anyone who is on your Friends and Family list will have their photos added to your account; you don't have to be with them.

We just got back from our first Disney trip and I absolutely LOVED memory maker. We stopped at as many photographers as we could for pics during our 7 days. We ended up with 350 photos from the photographers that I liked and kept. Only had a couple that didn't turn out...1 set of pics were so light you could barely make out my daughter and another set of pics was way too dark. Just bad settings or whatever on the camera. But the rest of the pics turned out so good!!! We also loved the magic shots. I just finished putting borders etc on my pics on the photopass site and Shutterfly has their unlimited free photos deal going on, you just pay shipping. Paid $15.50 for 250 pics. So was able to submit multiple orders to develop all my pics.

Do you need to buy memory maker to get any of the photos taken with photo pass? Or can you get some of the photos taken with photo pass for free?

Do you need to buy memory maker to get any of the photos taken with photo pass? Or can you get some of the photos taken with photo pass for free?

You don't need to buy Memory Maker, but you can't get the pictures for free. If you only want a few pictures, I believe they're still $15 a piece.

Memory maker! The first time my husband and I went we didn't really know better so we took a lot of our own pictures and used photo pass here and there. The thing with photo pass is the time they give you to purchase I believe is shorter than with memory maker and each photo costs. The second year we decided to shell out for Memory maker and it was great we got take pictures everywhere with luckily good photographers. Plus, I knew I could get all the downloads I want of all 300+ photos taken.

You don't need to buy Memory Maker, but you can't get the pictures for free. If you only want a few pictures, I believe they're still $15 a piece.

There is also a 1 day memory maker if you happen to take all the photos you want to keep on the same day. It's cheaper if there is more than 2 pictures you want to keep from only 1 day of your trip. it'll appear after your trip as an option to purchase when your looking at the photos. (or if your only there for 1 day, it's an addon for a 1 day ticket).

The thing with photo pass is the time they give you to purchase I believe is shorter than with memory maker and each photo costs.

Pictures last for 45 days from date taken no matter how you pay for them. There is no difference, memory maker is just a bullk purchase deal. The exception is someone with an AP, photos expire after a year (and if you get an ap any photos taken with the last year suddenly reappear in your account).

There is also a 1 day memory maker if you happen to take all the photos you want to keep on the same day. It's cheaper if there is more than 2 pictures you want to keep from only 1 day of your trip. it'll appear after your trip as an option to purchase when your looking at the photos. (or if your only there for 1 day, it's an addon for a 1 day ticket).

Pictures last for 45 days from date taken no matter how you pay for them. There is no difference, memory maker is just a bullk purchase deal. The exception is someone with an AP, photos expire after a year (and if you get an ap any photos taken with the last year suddenly reappear in your account).

Thank you so much for all of this information! I think I will have to decide when we get to Disney and I can gauge if we are using the Disney photographers enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter