• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Memory Maker - Should we get it?

BlondeAppetit

DIS Veteran
I have read the posts about the reduced number of photographers and that certain photo opportunities have been discontinued.

We have a decent amount of character meals and will be attending MNSSHP. We are going to every park and 2x at MK. CRT, CP, Tusker, Akershus, Garden Grill, etc.

I enjoy photography and we have a good camera - however it appears that the Disney photographers can captures some great images and can get the whole family in shots, etc.

Is MM still worth it? Thoughts? What would you do?

I have read the posts about the reduced number of photographers and that certain photo opportunities have been discontinued. We have a decent amount of character meals and will be attending MNSSHP. We are going to every park and 2x at MK. CRT, CP, Tusker, Akershus, Garden Grill, etc. I enjoy photography and we have a good camera - however it appears that the Disney photographers can captures some great images and can get the whole family in shots, etc. Is MM still worth it? Thoughts? What would you do?

The character meals will have a MM photo before you're seated, but there are no Photopass photographers roaming with the characters, you're on your own for those. So it comes down to ride photos and how many of those you think you'd want.

We just got back from our first trip- just DH and I. We had 10 day park hoppers and ended up with 85 pictures in our account. We did no character meals and only went to see Mickey and Minnie. I now have over 200 in my account after adding the borders to them and doing some different sizes. In our case, I'm glad we did this because my DH takes terrible pictures. All the ones he took of me are blurry. If it weren't for the photographers, I'd have no good pictures of me. So, in our case, it was worth it. (Although I do realize they will take pictures with your own camera.)

We always got the PP+, so now will, most likely, get MM. The last time, we had over 400 pictures on the account and the year before that, around 900 (with extended family). All before adding borders and such. So, to us, it's totally worth it. We like stopping at the photographers, asking if we can do magic shots, character meets, rides. It's fun and sometimes we do different poses, or make silly faces! You would have to decide if you want to take the time to stop for the photographers. :goodvibes

I got it for our May trip and I will not get it again. True about not many photographers, and I feel like I took the same pics with my camera. It was nice to get the ride pictures but that was it. I was also missing lots of pictures and had to email them about it. Good thing I took a picture of the screen for ride pics every time. Those were mostly missing.

We were there in late May/early June and had MM. I found that there were PP photo people everywhere. My family was always looking at me like " seriously...another picture mom " We found the service fantastic and for once I'm in the family pictures. We had extended family traveling with us and it was great for group pictures, individual pictures, small family pictures, ride photos (of which we had a blast staging pre photo op)...ended up with 200 something photo's (would have had more but my family thought I had lost my mind every time I asked to take another one with a photographer ).
I had read about not having a lot of photographers out and this and that but I found the exact opposite at every park!

We did it in May and I would absolutely do it again. We had well over 200 photos and were happy with the number of photographers everywhere. we have 2 young kids so it made taking photos with them a lot easier.

I have read the posts about the reduced number of photographers and that certain photo opportunities have been discontinued.

We have a decent amount of character meals and will be attending MNSSHP. We are going to every park and 2x at MK. CRT, CP, Tusker, Akershus, Garden Grill, etc.

I enjoy photography and we have a good camera - however it appears that the Disney photographers can captures some great images and can get the whole family in shots, etc.

Is MM still worth it? Thoughts? What would you do?

Are you the same person who posted this on another board? If so, you've probably read my response. If not, here it goes:

If you have your own camera, that's the way to go. I'm glad I didn't trust the Disney photopass stuff on the last trip. We got home, entered our photopass info and bam, only so many things popped up. Thankfully, the photopass people also used MY camera and I have all those memories!!!

The only things you won't get via your camera are the alone shots of some characters and on-ride photos. If those are worth the hefty price tag, then yeah go for it. Otherwise, for family shots, hand your camera off to the photopass people, they'll use your camera for you!

We went last year. I did not pre-purhcase memory maker. When I got home I looked at all the pictures that were taken by the photographers at the parks and compared them to mine in each scenario.

Mine were just as good. In fact because it is my loved ones I take the time to make sure I have a shot where everyone had their eyes open and smiling and looking etc. I never held up the line to take my own pictures I simply took them at the same time next to the photographer.

In addition every time I asked the photographer or the CM assistant to take a picture of our entire family with the camera they did with a smile.

There was just two pictures I ended up purchasing one at the park from the Buzz Lightyear spin ride and then one from home that was of main street of the entire family with the Christmas decorations and the castle in the background.

As a matter of fact there was another picture I liked that was in front of the Haunted castle during the Micky's not so scary Halloween party where they superimpose a ghost skeleton driving the carriage later. I took a picture of it off the computer with my iPhone and then printed it from my iPhotos and I swear it is as if I purchased it from Disney. There were a few other photos that I wanted and did the same and it worked perfectly.

I am glad I saved the money because 9 out of 10 times my photos were better. :goodvibes

I was glad that we did it. We ended up with almost 200 pictures in our account - lots of character meals, character meet and greets, Enchanted Tales with Belle, etc. It saved me once when my camera battery unexpectedly died while we were in line to meet Tiana. I would do it again.

We used it for our 11 day trip. We just got back 7/1. I would do it again! The ride photos are automatically added to your account. I think I have 150+ pictures.

I'm a little confused about memory maker. Is it the same thing as photo pass? Just a new name? And if so can't you purchase a cd of your photos after your trip or do you have to purchase before your trip?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

As a matter of fact there was another picture I liked that was in front of the Haunted castle during the Micky's not so scary Halloween party where they superimpose a ghost skeleton driving the carriage later. I took a picture of it off the computer with my iPhone and then printed it from my iPhotos and I swear it is as if I purchased it from Disney. There were a few other photos that I wanted and did the same and it worked perfectly. I am glad I saved the money because 9 out of 10 times my photos were better. :goodvibes

That's theft and you're stealing from Disney. Congratulations.

There are more photographers than ever and even more opportunities for photos, so those reports were greatly exaggerated.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We just got back from a 2 week long trip. It was my family and my parents who went, so not a HUGE group of people. Before editing the photos and adding borders, changing sizes, etc., we had over 800 pictures, and that doesn't include the ride photos. So I would definitely get it again, no questions asked!

I'm a little confused about memory maker. Is it the same thing as photo pass? Just a new name? And if so can't you purchase a cd of your photos after your trip or do you have to purchase before your trip?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

No more cd, download them
Cheaper if you purchase before

If you have your own camera, that's the way to go. I'm glad I didn't trust the Disney photopass stuff on the last trip. We got home, entered our photopass info and bam, only so many things popped up. Thankfully, the photopass people also used MY camera and I have all those memories!!!

FWIW, if you use the Photopass photographers and not all your photos link, they can usually find them if you call them. We've had missing photos every trip that have always gotten linked after a call.

As for the original question...we've always pre-paid for the Photopass CD in the past, so this year we'll likely get the Memory Maker. I like having a backup to my own camera. We always see stories on here of Photopass missing photos, but friends of ours had the opposite happen...their camera (with memory card) got stolen on the way home. They lost every. single. one of their vacation photos. I guess I'd rather pay for the Memory Maker and make sure I have some photos than have none at all.

Our pictures have come out great. I'm currently using it right now and I will definitely use it again when we come back.

I use my own camera. I usually order one family pic after we get home. I do not think it is worth the money.

I would say yes!

The MM photopgraphers are usually always snapping away getting some great candid shots during meet and greets, and it's a nice way to get all the family in on the pictures around the parks. You also get all the ride photos, and participating dining locations!

For dining, CRT & Akershus are already included in the meal price, but with the MM ones at Tusker, Chef Mickeys, 1900's, etc are included for you. Be aware they will still come around to your table with a hard copy and ask if you'd like to buy it, but it will be on your MM if you got your band scanned!

I personally think it's worth it, especially if you're going for a longer time, you can always pass off your camera to the attendant/photograper or ask the ones on say, main st to take one on your camera, but most of the time when I don't get photopass, I end up getting amazing pictures and wishing that we did!

As a matter of fact there was another picture I liked that was in front of the Haunted castle during the Micky's not so scary Halloween party where they superimpose a ghost skeleton driving the carriage later. I took a picture of it off the computer with my iPhone and then printed it from my iPhotos and I swear it is as if I purchased it from Disney. There were a few other photos that I wanted and did the same and it worked perfectly.

This is, of course, theft. I am pointing it out because I am hoping you are honestly ignorant of the fact that what you describe is stealing (because one would think that a person knowingly stealing would feel shame, and not so proudly describe how he/she stole something).

People like you are the reason we can't have nice things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter