Meal times & ADHD

mkymouse4ever

DIS Veteran
Aunt needs help,

Taking nephew (9yr old) to WDW for his 1st trip, and trying to cover all his problems. Sometimes he eats, like there is no stopping, and then sometimes he just is not interested. Yes, its the meds. So on the topic of dining,

I have planned all kind of dining, but extremely willing to change at a moments notice. ;) Mostly plan on counter service, but have some dinners that might interest him. China, cause chinese food is his fav.(he asked to eat there), Living Seas cause of the fish tank, A few of the noisier character meals > chef mickeys, crystal palace., Doing a fantasmic pkg, so he won't have to stand in that line. ETC...... Picking places he will have something entertaining, ie= sci fi, or marakesh etc... But if he is not up to it, I will just cancel.

But is it better to have him in that sort of enviroment to cool off, and settle down (if possible) with quieter atmosphere OR is the fast food in and out, crazy atmosphere (tommorowland terrace, etc...) the way to go? I don't want to ruin others meals, and he is definately taking gameboy, so that if he just is not into eating, I will make him hydrate, get him something to pick on, and rest for a little while??? I figure one of us can take him out "to the bathroom" or wait outside with bill if he is getting to ansy.

What works for you? Is a mix the best? Any suggestions are appreciated. Mky :smickey:

one thing that helps to avoid the real crazy environments is to try to choose less popular mealtimes. For the ones you are making reservations (especially character meals) choosing a later time often means that as people are leaving, they are not being replaced with new customers.
For counter service, we sometimes scout out the place and if it seems too busy, come back later. Sometimes 1/2 hour makes a big difference.

I think the "keep him busy" if he doesn't want to eat is a good plan. The rest of you need to eat, even if he doesn't feel like it.
Also, think of going out of the park (I know you are for Chef Mickey). The trip to one of the close by resorts (monorail or boat for MK resorts; boat or walking for Epcot resorts) is a nice transition/settle down and some of the resorts have food courts which are quieter durinng the day because guests are at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter